Dehumidifiers for the entire room

Status
Not open for further replies.
V

vince123123

Hi everyone,

I'm looking for a dehumidifier for an entire room. It does not have to be 100% working like a dry cabinet, but just to lower the moisture levels in a storage area that I have (to prevent degradation of the wares inside).

Perhaps similar to these things I found online?
http://www.allergybuyersclubshopping.com/dehumidifiers-home-industrial.html

Do such things cost a lot, and do they consume a lot of electricity? Its intended for rooms primarily meant to store goods.

Thanks!

it is 500-600 dollars for big one, you have to empty water every day or put long pipe to drain

Aircon in dry mode :)

Place a fire urn in the room. everything will just dry up and crispy, too.

ok, on the serious note, go cktang. got a good range to select from. If i am not wrong harvey norman or best denki have them as well. :D

i think in long run it's better to use a dry/dehumi box instead of drying ur room-> cost of maintainance/\

I'm not intending to use it for camera equipment, which I already have a dry box for. It is intended to lower the humidity of the entire room which is a store room of sorts, with stuffs inside that I want to protect against mold, rust, etc

i think in long run it's better to use a dry/dehumi box instead of drying ur room-> cost of maintainance/\

Just to share, I'm using the Olee Petite Thermo Dehumidifier which cost around $100 in my "bomb shelter". The unit operates in 24/7/365 mode keeping the humidity around 68% @ 30 degrees. Water has to be disposed about once every week.

Power consumption is rated at 23.4W which translate to running cost of 17.4 cents a day. I would say this unit is rather reliable because the only moving part, a DC fan, failed after running continuously for about 3 years. Managed to DIY repaired it using an old DC fan which lasted another year. Thereafter, replaced it with another new unit. In the end, also managed to get the old faulty unit repaired and keep as spare.

68%RH @30degC may not be good enough to prevent mold growth. See chart below

MoldGrowthChart.jpg

68%RH @30degC may not be good enough to prevent mold growth.

Photographic equipment still uses the dry cabinet. The 68% RH is sufficient to keep leather stuffs from getting mouldy, reduces smell and reduces "rusty" metal imprints on the wall.

Just some information I've collected. Typical cost of running a window type airconditioner 24/7/365.

Model : Samsung AW09P1B, Non-Inverter, Window Type
No. of Green Ticks : 1
Cooling Capacity : 2.49kW
Annual Energy Consumption (24/7/365) = 8059 kWh
Estimated Energy Cost ( 22.93 cents / KwH ) = $1848

Perhaps in "dry mode", the energy consumption is lower.

Just some information I've collected. Typical cost of running a window type airconditioner 24/7/365.

Model : Samsung AW09P1B, Non-Inverter, Window Type
No. of Green Ticks : 1
Cooling Capacity : 2.49kW
Annual Energy Consumption (24/7/365) = 8059 kWh
Estimated Energy Cost ( 22.93 cents / KwH ) = $1848

Perhaps in "dry mode", the energy consumption is lower.

it just needs to be dry and not cold

So whats the electrical cost of dry mode? I always thought an aircon consumes much more electricity, hence the dehumidifier.

a photographer i worked for used one of these to 'dry' his photo equipment stored in large cabinet. before his weekly 'drying' session, the windows are shut and door/s closed. the amount of water extracted is quite a lot, so, periodic checking is needed to avoid overflow. unless, one has a outflowing pipe.

So whats the electrical cost of dry mode? I always thought an aircon consumes much more electricity, hence the dehumidifier.

That would depend on how long/often you need to run it. This, in turn, depends on how well the room is sealed.

I.e., if you have the typical el cheapo aluminium window frames which never close tight, and you have a big gap under the door, humid air will seep in quickly, and you would have to run the aircon more often. Alas, most HDBs and private housing projects in Singapore seem to have spared very little if any thought to energy efficiency.

Well what's more impt is the relative cost comparing the air con vs the dehumidifier. I only require dry function, so getting an air con is probably not the way to go.

That would depend on how long/often you need to run it. This, in turn, depends on how well the room is sealed.

I.e., if you have the typical el cheapo aluminium window frames which never close tight, and you have a big gap under the door, humid air will seep in quickly, and you would have to run the aircon more often. Alas, most HDBs and private housing projects in Singapore seem to have spared very little if any thought to energy efficiency.

Status
Not open for further replies.