Dehumidifier

alocer

Nov 28, 2010
Is it save to use Charcoal to protect from moisture ?

I read this website using newspaper wrap up charcoal can keep moisture away, it is save for camera?

http://www.faciful.com/?p=161

Is it save to use Charcoal to protect from moisture ?
I read this website using newspaper wrap up charcoal can keep moisture away, it is save for camera?
http://www.faciful.com/?p=161

The website says "regulating" not "protecting". But at which level? :dunno: Cameras have recommended storage conditions, around 45% RH (+/- 5%).
Have you ever done a BBQ and filled up the charcoal? You'll know what a dirty job this is (literally). Is this something you want to bring close to your camera? Your choice. Most people here use dry cabinets and some use dry boxes with Silica Gel.

how about those $2 charcoal based gel?

Charcoal are known to absorb odour and moisture, but since there is a dry cabinet specially design to use for our precious camera and lenses. I don't see any benefits of using other alternative methods.

it will absorb all the bad smell from our perspiration on the strap etc . . . :think:

I'm sure its pretty safe to use charcoal. but the problem is you will need to change it regularly or sun the charcoal.

how committed are you to doing this?

dry cabinet is really an idiot-proof way of keeping our cams.....

Thanks for all the advise =)

go homefix. The other day saw this similar to small t5 light tube dehumidifier...didn't pay attention how it works actually. However, should be fine. Price around $20++

go homefix. The other day saw this similar to small t5 light tube dehumidifier...didn't pay attention how it works actually. However, should be fine. Price around $20++

Bro...the lightube dehumidifier is designed to put in the wardrobe so the clothes don't smell. It works by gently heating the air and warm air will circulate and "remove" the moisture. Not recommended. :cool:

You can use this one. Very convenient and reusable. Just plug into a socket to dry.
I've been using this for months now instead of buying a dry cabinet.

http://www.olee.com.sg/prod_dehumid_reusablemini.html

I have been using one of these too. Its safe and reusable. Been using it for more than 3 years. :)

I used both by putting a charcoal into my Dry cabi... You can call me stupid but it helps to remove smell from my camera strap and a weird odour that emits from the digi cabi after 1 week of usage.

I used both by putting a charcoal into my Dry cabi... You can call me stupid but it helps to remove smell from my camera strap and a weird odour that emits from the digi cabi after 1 week of usage.

As a fellow Bro...I would advise you to buy activated charcoal. It is specially manufactured to absorb odour. It does not disintegrate into powder and hence won't contaminate your camera stuff. It comes packaged in a fine filter cloth and won't puke dust all over. Available at Home-Fix DIY for about $3.50 a pack and can last a few months.

Don't use ordinary charcoal or you will be asking for trouble later on. :cool: