Define a PRO photographer

Status
Not open for further replies.
i just take the literal meaning....

a photographer that takes photos (duh!) as his profession. which means he earns a (full time?) living out of his photos.

that's IT. :sweat:

i second jOhO's definition, but as to whether the photog is really good or not.........

PRO photographer - one who uses his/her "bodies" to make money. :D

jOhO said:
:bsmilie: :bsmilie:

why aren't i surprised that there'll be a response like this? :think:

couldn't resist :bsmilie:

a question like this is just like a "Don't look here." sign...so i looked.

RuthBaby said:
mani say.. a pro photog is selfish?
not willing to share.. how true?

imo, quite true in local context. But in US, I think they (the pros) are slightly different, more willing to share & to teach. Much more friendly. This is the experience I get when meeting some pros (lao jiao) during wedding/studio shoot, one of a kind. :bsmilie:

Not true, I know a Pro Photog fren, he's more than willing to share all his knowledge. :)

But then, if he keeps a hand or two, who knows either? :D

IMO, it's more of the "kiasu" mentality, some of them are afraid that if teach too much or leak too much "secret" technique, might take away their ricebowl. But then, if you are a Pro, and u let someone non-Pro or other Pro take over you, then you deserve to be overtaken, agree? :think:

RuthBaby said:
mani say.. a pro photog is selfish?
not willing to share.. how true?

AJ23 said:
Not true, I know a Pro Photog fren, he's more than willing to share all his knowledge. :)

But then, if he keeps a hand or two, who knows either? :D

IMO, it's more of the "kiasu" mentality, some of them are afraid that if teach too much or leak too much "secret" technique, might take away their ricebowl. But then, if you are a Pro, and u let someone non-Pro or other Pro take over you, then you deserve to be overtaken, agree? :think:

Technique we all can learn.....but we must develope our own styles of shooting :cool: ......Like i say before, wanna teach, just do it. Don't wanna teach, me find out myself. ;)

andylee said:
Technique we all can learn.....but we must develope our own styles of shooting :cool: ......Like i say before, wanna teach, just do it. Don't wanna teach, me find out myself. ;)
ha....but u take a longer time than others...........i used to think this way when i just turn pro......but the best way to learn is to observe ur mentor/s....... :)

Pro - get paid for the job, and definitely job will pay for his equipment and more, therfore get to play with the most sophisticated equipment maybe sponsored by camera companies or maybe invited to evaluate the latest. Kind of like getting paid (a lot if they are good) for their hobby. get richer and richer.

The rest (non pro)- don't get paid, spend hard earned money on expensive equipment, only drool and dream of using the latest, sometimes never even get to see it in real life. Camera companies earns from this group so that they can sponsor the group above, or R&D better technology so that above group can try it. get poorer and poorer.

pcwe68 said:
Pro - get paid for the job, and definitely job will pay for his equipment and more, therfore get to play with the most sophisticated equipment maybe sponsored by camera companies or maybe invited to evaluate the latest. Kind of like getting paid (a lot if they are good) for their hobby. get richer and richer.

The rest (non pro)- don't get paid, spend hard earned money on expensive equipment, only drool and dream of using the latest, sometimes never even get to see it in real life. Camera companies earns from this group so that they can sponsor the group above, or R&D better technology so that above group can try it. get poorer and poorer.
.....hw come i dun get richer????............and sponsored????........

roti said:
.....hw come i dun get richer????............and sponsored????........

because....u not good lah :sweat: .......hee hee.....just joking. :D

So you are a pro eh? Don't bluff, not rich? Anyway you are probably enjoying it a lot more than some of us in our job which is not our hobby, more like a rat race or just making money to survive. Right?

i pro is someone who earns his living out of photography. it is not reflection of his skill... :D

Status
Not open for further replies.