Deep pocket = good photography?

UncleFai

Mar 10, 2010
Singapore
Was chatting with a doctor (in private practice) friend of mine and the subject turned to photography. Turns out that he has a $10K Leica M9 with several $4-$5K Leica lens. He uses a Leica X1 ($2000+) as his compact and a top-end Canon EOS as his "DSLR backup" (I assume with the pre-requisite pro lens). At that point, I shut up. Sigh...

Was chatting with a doctor (in private practice) friend of mine and the subject turned to photography. Turns out that he has a $10K Leica M9 with several $4-$5K Leica lens. He uses a Leica X1 ($2000+) as his compact and a top-end Canon EOS as his "DSLR backup" (I assume with the pre-requisite pro lens). At that point, I shut up. Sigh...

I have a friend with the exact same stuff. I was impressed until he brought his M9 out and ask me how to use. :bsmilie:

Compositions, understand of photography, experience of photographer aside.

I do believe better gears do provide better photos in terms of photo quality. I am speaking from this point of view, straight from cam photos without a single bit of Post Processing.

I am sure when shot at ISO 1600 on a Canon 450D and a 5DMKII can gives u a very good explaination why i said the above.

:)

Compositions, understand of photography, experience of photographer aside.

I do believe better gears do provide better photos in terms of photo quality. I am speaking from this point of view, straight from cam photos without a single bit of Post Processing.

I am sure when shot at ISO 1600 on a Canon 450D and a 5DMKII can gives u a very good explaination why i said the above.

:)

if thats the case, money can do anything. whats the fun then?:think:

good photography is about learning how to create good images, not projecting a good image of self.

if thats the case, money can do anything. whats the fun then?:think:

well your photos might be of good quality but the lack of composition, skills etc, its still a bad photo ;p

better equipments do give u good quality photos.

cos ask a pro to use both cams (Canon 450D and 5DMKII) using the same lens and shoot at ISO 1600 at night side by side, without any Post Processing, straight from cams, obviously, the more pricer 5DMKII photo quality will be much better then 450D (in terms of ISO, 450D already lose out).

But with the skills of the pro... doing some Post Processing to the photo by Canon 450D... maybe it can turn out to be comparable to the straight from cam 5DMKII photo?

Last edited:
deep pocket is good for almost everything, not just photography

agree with you...

all other things being equal (enthusiasm, skill, etc) having deep pockets does make learning easier. You remove one obstacle to learning, which is budget. Can buy lots of different gear. Can sign up for any class you want.

it's only when one thinks that money is a substitute for proper learning, then it's a mistake.

I think it will help to a certain extent. Many of the photos that make me go wow are taken with seldom seen perspectives, like very shallow dof, background compression (from super telephotos) etc.

Wow in that case if I buy an expensive tennis racket, my tennis skills would be super powderful!

deep pocket does expand the boundaries of photography in terms of equipment relevant ie. telephotos lenses for wildlife/ sports etc. and opportunities ie. travel/ location, hiring professional models and studios equipment. so yes for some instances.

sometimes being too rich only means one will not appreciate things... if someone can afford best camera etc.. get the best pg to teach him one to one.. if he does not appreciate, does not work hard, it is just a waste of money..

it depends how desparate u r ... if u depends on it to earn a living, u die die will try all means to improve!

Wow in that case if I buy an expensive tennis racket, my tennis skills would be super powderful!
hehehehe but that's not quite the analogy though.

think of it as Roger Federer using a wooden tennis racket vs the latest Carbon nano-whatchamacallit model. The technology (at a price) helps, but not at the expense of skill.

Some rich folk think that having lots of $$ gets them 'instant power-up' into the next level of photography, which is sadly... not the case.

it will not improve your skills like i mentioned.

but it will improve your photo qualities for sure.

Canon 450D shoot at ISO 1600 with same lens in low light outdoor
Canon 5DMKII shoot at ISO 1600 with same lens in low light outdoor
No post processing straight from cam
I say photo by 5DMKII is much better (minus composition, skills etc)

True or false? :dunno:

But true to some extent, if heng heng (luckily) by chance, the newbie manages to shoot a good bokeh as compared to a amatuer using a lower end camera, ppl will still comment the newbie is good and better.

True of false? :dunno:

So IMO, equipments does plays a little part.

but cannot neglect skills of the person behind the camera.

Last edited:

think of it as Roger Federer using a wooden tennis racket vs the latest Carbon nano-whatchamacallit model. The technology (at a price) helps, but not at the expense of skill.

Some rich folk think that having lots of $$ gets them 'instant power-up' into the next level of photography, which is sadly... not the case.

and yes. perhaps money can speed up learning process a little, but u cant learn how to shoot landscapes from a 5dmk2 can u?

ya.. u see it often..

i rem when i visited my fren's house... when i ask him abt his PC, he proudly say, it is the best! it's XP (the latest M$ kanasai OS at that time)... i say u go fly kite... wait till u see Linux /FreeBSD in action !

and yes. perhaps money can speed up learning process a little, but u cant learn how to shoot landscapes from a 5dmk2 can u?

at the end of the day... skill plays a large important part. And this takes time to build up.

throw a 1Ds to someone who just wants to show off but not keen in learning, 10 years later, he is still not producing good photos. He will probably still complaining here why my photo looks bad? I want to upgrade! :bsmilie:

Deep pocket = good photography? :think: Perhaps...
BUT
Deep pocket = good photographer? :nono: :nono:

How can compare Art with $$$$$.

See got money buy the best gear don't know how to put it to good use also wasted man,.,