Dedicated wide-angle or use the CZ 16-80?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rashkae

Nov 28, 2005
I'll be going mountain-climbing soon, and will definitely need wide-angle for landscape/panorama shots.

Should I just use my CZ 16-80 at 16mm, or invest in a Sony 11-18mm? I tried the Sigma 10-20 too, but the Sony was honestly sharper.

Mt. Kilimanjaro.

So you guys would choose the 16-80 at 16 over the 11-18? hmmm... Ok. :)

well, at times, you might need above 16. ;)

I'm not taking ONE lens. My 16-80 is coming along anyway. What I mean is if you guys think I should still get a dedicated WA lens or if you feel the 16-80 is sharp enough at 16.

if in doubt...buy all:bsmilie:

I am not sure what u intend to shoot up there... but if u are thinking of panos and joining multi shots then take the 16-80 mm... no harm taking a few more shots... I have joined 23 shots in one pano before, so it's not much of a problem... I recommend the 16-80mm as the distortion is more controlled... this means that it is easier to stitch your pano shots together... more usable part of the image is available when u crop...

But if u are thinking of taking wide angle one shot type of photos then the 11-18 is unbeatable where that is concerned... u get true wide angle at 17mm after factoring in the crop factor of 1.5X.

Since going to Mt Kilimanjaro is once in a lifetime (pretty ex huh?), then bring more lenses... use a hipster pouch (from Lowe Pro) to holster the camera plus one or two light lenses... keep the heavy lenses in the back pack...

I would bring:
11-18mm (very light)
17-70mm
70-300mm
100-400mm (or a long prime 500mm)

These are inexpensive lens, but definitely allow u to cover anything and everything... which is the objective here right? Unless u are like Michael Reichmann... can go on expedition and carry a helicopter load of stuff... don't forget u still need to carry flashes, batteries, chargers, memory cards, backup HDD, laptop, cleaning gear, tripod... siong!

woah mann...MOB MANNING ahhh??? FBO liao like that...

woah mann...MOB MANNING ahhh??? FBO liao like that...

Where got? SBO only... FBO would include bag pack with full sized lenses (70-200 f/2.8, 400/500/600mm prime) plus full-sized tripod... plus backup bodies (at least 2), pocket camera plus cards and batteries as last resort backup, wet weather bags for the camera...

wah piang...this one WORSE than war sia...hehehehehe...the weight will kill u instantly....;p

Hi,Rashkae

I disagree with TME, sorry TME.
I would recommend choice your load wisely.
Unless you are super fit and can handle high altitude, or else take what you can carry.
Don't forget you might have to carry everything by yourself, you can't wait for the porter to bring you the lens when you need it.

I would recommend the following
11-18
16-80
75-300 (only if you can still carry)
Leki monopod
Flash, only you are doing portrait shots there.

My experience in Kinabalu is that I am so tried that I only used one lens most of the time.
Also other factor is that my other lens is in my backpac.

I also suggest when you are training in Singapore, try to take your full equipment load to see if possible to trek, take photo & change lens (remember to water proof them)

Lastly, show us your photo when you are back.

Enjoy our trip.

Hi s00n, no worries, I'm managing the weight very carefully. As it is, Ill probably just bring the 16-80 and a 75-300. 2 fully charged batteries (maybe 3?) and about 10GB worth of memsticks. No need for flash, and I'm bringing a lightweight tripod. I might still pack my H1 or V3 as a backup.

All my training will involve a lot of diving (to help with oxygen retention) as well as stairclimbing.... Up and down 16 floors over and over again.... Ghah...

I think just bring 1 lens will do, try to travel light..no joke..wide angle

okie...no joke, anyone already brought the CZ 16-80? tested it out? i wonder any other shops are selling it or let us test the lens?

Status
Not open for further replies.