DECT Phones

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wolfgang

Apr 29, 2002
Riddle Realms
wolfgang.clubsnap.org
Not too sure if anyone is familiar with how a DECT phone works but i have this lil problem.

I've got this Enzer DECT phone and the batts inside the handset is a pair 650mAh rechargeables. They seem to wear out pretty quickly (like after 2 phones calls or approximately about 40 mins worth of talk time) so i was wondering, if i bought a pair of Sanyo 2100 or erm, say 2500 rechargeables to replace the 650mAh, would it help?

It is it considered risky or even dangerous to put in batteries with a higher capacity?

Kindly advice. :)

I'm not so sure whether this will help. I just got a pair of Panasonic DECT phones (1 base station + 2 hand sets). They come with rechargable 2100mAh AAA batteries (2 needed per handset)....

Wolfie,

More importantly is the voltage of the batteries used. As long as you replace the existing batteries with a new set of the same voltage, technically there should not be a problem.

The different mAh ratings will give you different standby/operating time. As your current batteries are 650mAh and you're getting about 40mins of talktime. Replacing them with the Sanyo 2100mAh will give you slightly 3 times more talktime (650mAh x 3 = 1950mAh). Current drain by the handset is almost a constant (depending on operating distance between handset and base, current drain varies).

So as per my understanding, it's safe to use batteries with different ratings on the appliance as long as the batteries are the same voltage.

teerex

tush said:
I'm not so sure whether this will help. I just got a pair of Panasonic DECT phones (1 base station + 2 hand sets). They come with rechargable 2100mAh AAA batteries (2 needed per handset)....

Hmmm... thanks for the info Tush. :)

I'm actually wondering if my handset & base/charger can fully charge up the batt and if it's possible, would it cause the handset/charger to overheat? :sweat: :dunno:

teerex said:
Wolfie,

More importantly is the voltage of the batteries used. As long as you replace the existing batteries with a new set of the same voltage, technically there should not be a problem.

The different mAh ratings will give you different standby/operating time. As your current batteries are 650mAh and you're getting about 40mins of talktime. Replacing them with the Sanyo 2100mAh will give you slightly 3 times more talktime (650mAh x 3 = 1950mAh). Current drain by the handset is almost a constant (depending on operating distance between handset and base, current drain varies).

So as per my understanding, it's safe to use batteries with different ratings on the appliance as long as the batteries are the same voltage.

teerex

Teerex, thanks for the info. :) Voltage you say? Hmm.. i'll go back and take a look at the batts inside my phone and check if the voltage are the same. (Are rechargeable AAA batts' voltage the same?) :sweat: :dunno:

Not using Enzer but have many others. Battery should not deplete off so fast, maybe there are some problems with the phone circuit. I had this problem once with a Philips and it is due to the phone and not the battery. Hope the info help in anyway.

take note though, your standard charger should not be able to charge up to 2000+ Mah..... unless you use a different charges everytime the battry goes low? :dunno:

Wolfgang said:
Teerex, thanks for the info. :) Voltage you say? Hmm.. i'll go back and take a look at the batts inside my phone and check if the voltage are the same. (Are rechargeable AAA batts' voltage the same?) :sweat: :dunno:

NiMh, Nickel Metal Hydride rechargables, AA, AAA are all 1.2volts. Most external chargers have an output voltage of about 1.4volts for charging. Depending on the current rating of the chargers, different length of time will be required to charge the batteries.

E.g. A 1amp charger will technically be able to charge the 2100mAh batteries in 2.1hours. Similarly for 2500mAh batteries, it'll take 2.5hours. As most charges are able to charge 4 cells at a time, it does not matter if you charge 1,2,3 or 4 cells, it will take the same time. They are charged in parallel.

If you're using a 2amp charger, the charge time will be half that of the 1amp.

dragius said:
take note though, your standard charger should not be able to charge up to 2000+ Mah..... unless you use a different charges everytime the battry goes low? :dunno:

Hmmm.. is that so? :sweat: I didn't know abt that... :embrass:

So how much can it charge up to? :dunno:

Kindly advice please. :)

Dennis said:
Not using Enzer but have many others. Battery should not deplete off so fast, maybe there are some problems with the phone circuit. I had this problem once with a Philips and it is due to the phone and not the battery. Hope the info help in anyway.

Hmmm.. yeah.. thats another possibility... :think: But then again, the warrenty has expired... :sweat:

Thanks Dennis. :)

teerex said:
NiMh, Nickel Metal Hydride rechargables, AA, AAA are all 1.2volts. Most external chargers have an output voltage of about 1.4volts for charging. Depending on the current rating of the chargers, different length of time will be required to charge the batteries.

E.g. A 1amp charger will technically be able to charge the 2100mAh batteries in 2.1hours. Similarly for 2500mAh batteries, it'll take 2.5hours. As most charges are able to charge 4 cells at a time, it does not matter if you charge 1,2,3 or 4 cells, it will take the same time. They are charged in parallel.

If you're using a 2amp charger, the charge time will be half that of the 1amp.

Sweet. Lemme go back and check and get a set of AAA 2500 Sanyos from EastGear. ;) Thanks again Tee. :)

Hopefully that solves my problem. Unless it's the problem that Dennis mentioned... :sweat:

I'm using Philips DECT phone and it seems to last pretty long, hours of talktime on a full charge.

Wolfgang said:
Sweet. Lemme go back and check and get a set of AAA 2500 Sanyos from EastGear. ;) Thanks again Tee. :)

Hopefully that solves my problem. Unless it's the problem that Dennis mentioned... :sweat:

BigBelly should be able to clarify things for you.

Just thought of another work around...

Use my existing maha charger, charge up the batts and plonk them inside the handset. When batt is running low, replace with another freshly charged set and take out the drained set, discharge via the charge and so on...

:D :p

teerex said:
FatBelly should be able to clarify things for you.

Yeah, i probbaly will drop by one of these days to have a chat with him. :)

mpenza said:
I'm using Philips DECT phone and it seems to last pretty long, hours of talktime on a full charge.

Yeah, i kinda regret not getting the Philips DECT phone... :cry:

Wolfgang said:
Yeah, i probbaly will drop by one of these days to have a chat with him. :)

i regretted getting philips thou... repair & still dead b4 1 year is up...

Wolfgang said:

they're pretty expensive but I think worth it (I bought the cheapest of the series then with 2 handsets). if after a while, you find that the Enzer ones still can't make it, upgrade ;p

mpenza said:
they're pretty expensive but I think worth it (I bought the cheapest of the series then with 2 handsets). if after a while, you find that the Enzer ones still can't make it, upgrade ;p

Actually, feel like down-grading. ;) you know those old rotary dial phones? Or even the black "bakelite" (sp?) phones?

Am thinking of changing to those phones if my Enzer still dies on me. :p

Status
Not open for further replies.