Decision of buying a DSLR

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ryosuke

Jan 1, 2009
So far I've been looking around and narrowed down my options to 2 cameras,

1. Nikon D60
2. Panasonic G1

I know they are very different cameras, as such I have the following queries.

In terms of low light photography, I read reviews that D60 would be better. But after trying out both cameras either at auto/P mode and set the iso to 400, it looks very much the same to me.

When it comes to manual setting and menus, I feel that the G1 has much better interface and user-friendliness. Coming from a PnS camera, the G1 is more or less similar in terms of menu interface.

What I would like to ask is there anybody who has tried out both the camera's function and image quality as comparison? Would greatly appreciate ANY type of recommendations and comments on both cameras.

P.S. With regards to lenses, I'm getting either one of this camera with their kit lens. I won't be upgrading any lenses in the near future. I know the D60 will have more lenses but that is not my top concern. My photography needs are mainly indoor portraits of my son and family pictures with the occasional outdoor scenary.

You must consider that you are buying a system and not a camera alone.... :)

The two camera are not in my consideration.... the reason is that AF lens for this two camera are very limited or expensive (compared to their bigger counterparts). That means even if you spend less on the body, you would spend more on the lens (D60) & battery/lens adapter (G1).... Anyone disagree? :think:

Hahah i agree :thumbsup:

I own a Nikon D60,but the low light is good at 800,even 1600 is not that bad..still can be use,but fear not there is Noise Ninja.haha ;)

1. Nikon D60
2. Panasonic G1

In terms of low light photography, I read reviews that D60 would be better. But after trying out both cameras either at auto/P mode and set the iso to 400, it looks very much the same to me.

When it comes to manual setting and menus, I feel that the G1 has much better interface and user-friendliness. Coming from a PnS camera, the G1 is more or less similar in terms of menu interface.

What I would like to ask is there anybody who has tried out both the camera's function and image quality as comparison? Would greatly appreciate ANY type of recommendations and comments on both cameras.

P.S. With regards to lenses, I'm getting either one of this camera with their kit lens. I won't be upgrading any lenses in the near future. I know the D60 will have more lenses but that is not my top concern. My photography needs are mainly indoor portraits of my son and family pictures with the occasional outdoor scenary.

Have you considered looking at the Canon, Olympus and Sony DSLR cameras too?

You're right, both these cameras are very different. I suggest reading the review posted on DPReview.com

Have you considered looking at the Canon, Olympus and Sony DSLR cameras too?

You're right, both these cameras are very different. I suggest reading the review posted on DPReview.com

TS already mention he is getting either one and asking for real HANDS-on experience from CSers. I can see your "suggestions" everywhere really did help anyone?

You must consider that you are buying a system and not a camera alone.... :)

The two camera are not in my consideration.... the reason is that AF lens for this two camera are very limited or expensive (compared to their bigger counterparts). That means even if you spend less on the body, you would spend more on the lens (D60) & battery/lens adapter (G1).... Anyone disagree? :think:

Hi Anson, thanks for your advice. I understand that both these camera's AF lens are expensive and limited but I doubt I would get other lens in the foreseeable future.

So when is the outing? =P

Hi Anson, thanks for your advice. I understand that both these camera's AF lens are expensive and limited but I doubt I would get other lens in the foreseeable future.

Personally if are not planning to invest in future lens.. a prosumer camera maybe a better choice for you... :)

TS already mention he is getting either one and asking for real HANDS-on experience from CSers. I can see your "suggestions" everywhere really did help anyone?

Yes they have. Now go troll elsewhere. Shoo.

1. Nikon D60
2. Panasonic G1

May i recommend Sony`s H10 or H50?

Check out the Night Vision function if shooting at night is important. One thing that Sony is good is with the the software and for prosumer cameras, they are pretty simple to use.

d60 cannot auto-focus with cheap AF-D prime lens as they have no built-in motors on the cam body, same as d40.

G1 is still a new release, so may have to wait longer for more lens to be available.

but for both cams high iso performance, you would have to shoot at around iso 800~1600 to really see the difference.

i bought a A200 a while back...mesmerized by carl zeiss lenses..over time..due to the high cost of CZ lenses and i sort of didnt like the amount of noise generated by the a200...
have since moved on to a EOS 20d with 17-40 L

Systems will burn your pocket...but I think Canon's are pretty good....huge 2nd hand market...

CMOS beats CCD sensors hands down definitely...

Other than that...just keep shooting and shoooting..

1. Nikon D60
2. Panasonic G1

take note of these points:

1) D60 can only work with lenses with in-built motors
2) G1 has limited availability of lenses at the moment
3) D60 has a live viewfinder versus G1's electronic viewfinder; there are advantages to both and disadvantages as well - for example, the live viewfinder provides 100% instant feedback, the EVF lags slightly; the latter (from my prosumer experience) can be problematic in high contrast situations; but the latter has HISTOGRAM to ensure proper exposure, and also gives you what you get after you have taken the picture, at least exposure wise
4) size

ultimately, you have to make the decision yourself. for g1 shots, you can go to the 4/3's community, i believe microcosm has posted up extensive test shots there for you to oogle at.

there is no one perfect camera, so which is better for YOU, is the one that counts.

and yes, like rashkae says, have you considered other choices? if you have not, then you are not doing yourself any favours by deciding based on these 2 only.

1. Nikon D60
2. Panasonic G1

I would suggest that you get a PnS camera. A G10 or LX3(my fave) would be a good start since you're not planing to invest on lenses.

I would suggest that you get a PnS camera. A G10 or LX3(my fave) would be a good start since you're not planing to invest on lenses.

Zoom level instead of a zoom ring would be slow and need more adjustment..... :think: Not my preferred choice... if it is my only prosumer camera... :(

1. Nikon D60
2. Panasonic G1

Do u need live-view?
Can u tolerate a pixelated viewfinder?

G1 is a pretty little thing. For more practical usage, i prefer D60.

Do u need live-view?
Can u tolerate a pixelated viewfinder?

G1 is a pretty little thing. For more practical usage, i prefer D60.

Actually I think one of the selling point of the G1 beside the size is the EVF.... you get a full detail on your Exposure & WB without even taking a shot... :)

Given only 2 camera to choose... I would choice is the G1 (twin len kit).... :)

I just readup that there will be a G1 with HD video coming soon in Spring 09 (Somewhere around March). Of course price will be definately much higher and close to the D90's.

I'm leaning towards the G1 but now that there's going to be a HD video model, I might just wait out a little longer before committing.

I just readup that there will be a G1 with HD video coming soon in Spring 09 (Somewhere around March). Of course price will be definately much higher and close to the D90's.

I'm leaning towards the G1 but now that there's going to be a HD video model, I might just wait out a little longer before committing.

If HD Video is what you really want..... get a HD Video Cam instead..... :bsmilie:

Status
Not open for further replies.