deciding on a lowepro and vanguard

sportspoon

Sep 28, 2006
sportspoon.deviantart.com
i'm deciding on a Lowepro Fastpack 250 or Vanguard Adaptor 46

http://products.lowepro.com/product/Fastpack-250,2086,14.htm
http://www.vanguardworld.com/index.php/en/pv/products/photo-video/detail-1-1-229-728.html

i want to be able to quick access to a mounted 70-200 2.8
put 2-3 more lens, flash and other rubbish stuff,
and ample space for personal items, battery chargers and protection for point and shoot.

i'm not sure which would suit me.

best is to visit the shops.. see which 1 suits u more.. if can bring the item u mentioned go, haha then u know which 1 suits u more

The skyborne from Vanguard looks interesting, especially for travelling... Looks like an improved version of Lowepro Compu Primus.

[vid]7huZZVosQ2c[/vid]

I would say go for the Lowepro.
I have a Lowepro, 2 Katas and a Vanguard Uprise.
The lowepro is the lightest of all because it thin.
The Kata just looks nice and has a lot of compartments and isn't bad.
The Vanguard i bought because it's the biggest for travels and i can fit everything in it with shopping space to spare.
The only problem i find with lowepro is that they all can't hold tripods…whereas Katas and Vanguards can.
Just to note the vanguard is the heaviest bag of all because it's really built like a tank...

Go to the shop with all your barang barang and test. Whichever you find you are comfortable with... that is the one for you. It is the same as buying your camera, your lens, your tripod, your monopod, your clothes, your shoes... everything.

I would say go for the Lowepro.
I have a Lowepro, 2 Katas and a Vanguard Uprise.
The lowepro is the lightest of all because it thin.
The Kata just looks nice and has a lot of compartments and isn't bad.
The Vanguard i bought because it's the biggest for travels and i can fit everything in it with shopping space to spare.
The only problem i find with lowepro is that they all can't hold tripods…whereas Katas and Vanguards can.
Just to note the vanguard is the heaviest bag of all because it's really built like a tank...

Actually, after owning bags from all three companies and more... I would say for the same kind of bags, Kata is the lightest.

You can try lowepro fastpack 250? I managed to fit the following items in my fastpack 250:

249484_2134449964895_1355451962_32569522_7878747_n.jpg

70-200 f2.8 mounted on my 550d.
Canon 430exII.
18-55 kit lens and 50mm f1.8 put in the same compartment, one on top of the other.
100L Macro

Top compartment is quite big enough to be used to put your rubbish stuff, personal items, battery chargers and protection for point and shoot.

omg ya!!! was looking at the fastpack 250!. but i also like the Versapack 200aw. but like can't put in a mounted 70-200 2.8 right.

and hey guys. thank u so much for replying my post. :) really of great help!

and actually idk if i need really laptop compartment. ahhas. haiyo. hahas.'

for now, its either

- lowepro fastpack 250 (but not sure if its too big)
- versapack 200 aw (if i dun need the laptop compartment/ can fit a mounted 70-200/2.8

or

- tamerac Aero Speed Pack 75 / 85 (if i need a laptop compartment or not.)

Last edited:
and actually idk if i need really laptop compartment. ahhas. haiyo. hahas.

A laptop compartment doesn't mean need to put laptop. Can put a piece of shirt just in case you need a change, or put magazines, books etc.
It's nice to have just in case you need it.

Have you considered Tamrac Evolution 6?

It is very similar to Kata 3n1 20, but a little sturdier, thought I might get Kata 3n1 and Vanguard uprise, just like shopping bags to go out with...
All about the same price. lookwise, Lowepro looks more old fashioned.

Both Kata and Tamrac can have quick side access from 2 sides, and this feature is very convenient for me to quick shoot and even changing lenses without having to land your bag on the ground or table.

omg ya!!! was looking at the fastpack 250!. but i also like the Versapack 200aw. but like can't put in a mounted 70-200 2.8 right.

and hey guys. thank u so much for replying my post. :) really of great help!

The Versapack 200AW can fit a gripped body/pro body with a 70-200mm f2.8 attached...

Vanguard Heralder 28. it is the only shoulder bag that can sling a tripod. S$168 at Harvey Norman
The other one is Lowepro Stealth Reporter D200AW. S$140 Cathay Photo.

shud consider e fastpack 350

For the Fastpack 250, the pros, cons and wants based on my usage

Pros :
- Large accessories compartment. The freespace can junk in a big speedlight, blower, compact camera, GPS, travelling
adapters, a few chargers, camera batteries, etc.
- Well thought-out pockets in the accessories compartment to organise writing stuffs, remotes, etc
- Well organised camera/lens compartment for 2x additional lenses, square filter kit with box storage, boxed round filters, 4x loads of AA batteries.
- Flap opening of the camera/lens compartment, there is two pockets for SD cards. Momentarily "lost" two SD cards there!
- External compartment for cleaning kit and brushes.
- Notebook compartment is rather secure. Suitable for maps, passports, etc if not using it for notebook.
- Comfortable shoulder straps and paddings.
- Some protection against rain and weather elements.

Cons :
- Nikon D90 doesn't sit well in the bag. The larger grip slants the camera and thus pushes it very close to the edge of the
bag which does offer comfort in terms of protection.
- Redundant external netted compartment for water bottle or the likes.
- No additional protection on the base of the bag.

Wants :
- Tripod holder
- Weather cover

I just check out some bags at Tk foto.

Kata 3 in 1 series is the most versatile. Can convert into sling, x sling and normal 2 straps. And price is the same as lowepro

skyborne series from Vanguard is awesome....I was looking for the 51 but it was not available with the distributor here in Singapore. :angry:...had to settle for a Lowepro 350....not a bad bag...except for the missing tripod holder.:confused: Kata 3n1 33 is good...but I dnt like the fact that the rear of the bag can be accessed very easily.....not very theft-proof.:nono:

skyborne series from Vanguard is awesome....I was looking for the 51 but it was not available with the distributor here in Singapore. :angry:...had to settle for a Lowepro 350....not a bad bag...except for the missing tripod holder.:confused: Kata 3n1 33 is good...but I dnt like the fact that the rear of the bag can be accessed very easily.....not very theft-proof.:nono:

Hmmm... I just saw the entire Skyborne line at Mustafa a couple of weeks back.