Deciding between G9 & DSLR

Status
Not open for further replies.

kenmailbox1

Jan 4, 2007
Hello!

I am new here. Created my account a year ago but didnt had time to surf here..

Now i am looking for a new camera since R4 Ricoh had problems retracting its lens after 1yr+.

Deciding between a G9 or cheaper DSLR.. :dunno:

Saw reviews on G9 & samples; http://www.dpreview.com/gallery/canong9_samples2/ Looks quite good! Compared to a 400D, D40X or G9, what should i be buying?

Budget around 1k-2k(but can save $ better), my usage of photography for last year+ is about 12000. Hoping to get a better camera that is durable. Can anyone advise me??

Thanks for your help :D

for that kind of money, i'd definitely go for dslr.

I think a D40 will serve you well:) ,

Give me a DSLR anytime ;)

Was thinking a DSLR, but looking at the price difference between a D40 & D40X, not much difference if im getting. But again the 400D is quite cheap & i have lobang to canon products..

I have not use DSLR or SLR before, but would think 6megapix would be grainy if i were to play the colours contrast & etc.. I had often edit my R4(6pixel) photos cos flash CMI, end up image very very noisy & grainy... So hope to get a 10pixel or more so will still have details after editing.. Am i right or are there better ways?

The G9 seems gd & with the accessories of external flash/wide angle/telezoom. The DSLR seems to be quite troublesome with the need to protect lenses, dry cabinet, lens cleaning & etc. Do i have to take care a compact camera in the same way?

But i dun mind taking care of DSLR & still thinking of the switch from compact to DSLR??
:dunno:

Was thinking a DSLR, but looking at the price difference between a D40 & D40X, not much difference if im getting. But again the 400D is quite cheap & i have lobang to canon products..

I have not use DSLR or SLR before, but would think 6megapix would be grainy if i were to play the colours contrast & etc.. I had often edit my R4(6pixel) photos cos flash CMI, end up image very very noisy & grainy... So hope to get a 10pixel or more so will still have details after editing.. Am i right or are there better ways?

The G9 seems gd & with the accessories of external flash/wide angle/telezoom. The DSLR seems to be quite troublesome with the need to protect lenses, dry cabinet, lens cleaning & etc. Do i have to take care a compact camera in the same way?

But i dun mind taking care of DSLR & still thinking of the switch from compact to DSLR??
:dunno:

If image quality is important to you, the answer should be obvious. A DSLR has a CCD that is physically some 5-10 times larger than a point-and-shoot, and that makes all the difference.

The G9 (and many others) is very good under optimal lighting conditions, but in low light it is nowhere as usable as a DSLR. (Small CCDs collect less light and therefore is much more noisy under low light conditions).

Furthermore, a small CCD size puts severe limitations on the focal length of the lens. End result is that you almost always use a very short focal length and therefore it is extremely difficult to isolate the subject and blur the background. Also, the ability to change lenses is a huge advantage (you are not stuck with a given zoom lens).

The biggest advantage of a G9 is its small size and convenience...

I have a G7, and from what I understand, it should be similar in performance and IQ to the G9.

Both have different strengths and weaknesses, and which one suits you will depend on what you want to use the camera for.

The DSLR is a lot faster to use: Manual zoom ring that is more precise, faster AF and inherently better image quality due to larger CCD.

However, the G9 has a 35-200mm stabilised lens, and it's really compact compared to a DSLR. Great for travels.

Btw, you cannot compare a DSLR with a compact based on megapixel count alone. The CCD sensor is different. A DSLR's 6mp could well spank a comapct's 10mp in terms of noise control.

if you are talking of a 6MP photo from a point and shoot and find the photo grainy, then it will be totally different when you deal with 6MP photos from DSLRs.

Mainly because of the different sensor size producing different quality photos.

Canon DSLR uses CMOS sensor..... not CCD.

I use a 400D to take pics both in Jpeg and RAW..... up to ISO 1600. Noise level is always under control. U can't compair image Q of a PnS with a DSLR. If I were you..... DSLR for me.

But remember that a DSLR will cost more in things like..... Dry-cabinate, extra Lense, filters, tripod+ballhead..... etc.

DSLR for me anytime. Think about the flexibility, quality of pics, and the ego of carrying a DSLR ;)

basically, you have to consider whether you would be willing to lug a significantly larger and heavier camera around with you (because a camera that stays home in a cabinet is of little use), what you do with the images you capture and whether the improvements in ISO noise and image resolution will show up in what you need it for... it does not matter what other people think might be better but what you think... :)

Thanks for all your advice! So much replies... :D I learnt something again, didn't really understand but now clearly on the difference between CMOS & CCD.

I though the same pixels on both difference platform will have same results... Looks like a DSLR for me soon..

Think i would like to wait for Aug 08 to wait for prices to drop, both the 40D & 400D were introduced on Aug 07 & Aug 06. Will snap up the 400D when prices are good.. Hopefully still have stock :think:

But compare canon to nikon, which DSLR more durable ah??

Thanks for all your advice! So much replies... :D I learnt something again, didn't really understand but now clearly on the difference between CMOS & CCD.

I though the same pixels on both difference platform will have same results... Looks like a DSLR for me soon..

Think i would like to wait for Aug 08 to wait for prices to drop, both the 40D & 400D were introduced on Aug 07 & Aug 06. Will snap up the 400D when prices are good.. Hopefully still have stock :think:

But compare canon to nikon, which DSLR more durable ah??

Both Canon and Nikon offer pretty durable DSLR.

I feel you should get to know more bout the lens instead of the CMOS and CCD sensors differences or the megapixel thingy. Able to change the lens to suit your shooting style is one of the advantages DSLR has over P&S.

So go down to one of the reputable shops and try out the DSLRs. Take note which DSLR feels more comfortable in your hands (important), come back to CS and evalaute their lens range and the accompanied price tag :)

Cheers~

Just shortlist a few cams within your budget and head down to the shops to have a feel and take a few shots with each camera to see which you feel most comfortable with. What I liked you may not like.

Do note that both Nikon & Canon are big market players and quality will not be an issue. But they do not have Image Stabiliser on the body and lenses with Image Stabiliser will cost you quite a bit. For a low budget, you may want to consider the Pentax, Sony, Olympus or maybe even the older Konica Minolta too and these brands have build in Image Stabiliser in the cam body, hence every lens that you mount on these cams will have the IS function. ;)

for olympus stabilisation only for certain bodies...

Ya, will be trying out the cameras first..

I saw the lens prices. Think i can only afford those entry level lenses w/o IS..

I will buy the camera body first & when i feel i need lenses then be buying those below $500 lenses..

ThANKS for all your advices! :D

Great! Enjoy your shoot!

Status
Not open for further replies.