Decent telephoto for D80?

Status
Not open for further replies.

nikonnewbie

Jul 19, 2007
Hi guys, just bought my nikon D80 and im very happy with it but now looking to buy a couple of lenses and need some advice.

I have pretty much decided on buying a 50mm 1.8 but would also like to buy a telephoto. is there a decent telephoto lens in the market that i should consider? is it possible to get one for about $500?

cheers!

What you intend to shoot with the telephoto lens and under what lighting conditions will determine what lens you need, which in turn determine the price.

Perhaps you can consider the latest AF-S 55-200mm VR lens, costs around $380 brand new which fits your budget.

Hi guys, just bought my nikon D80 and im very happy with it but now looking to buy a couple of lenses and need some advice.

I have pretty much decided on buying a 50mm 1.8 but would also like to buy a telephoto. is there a decent telephoto lens in the market that i should consider? is it possible to get one for about $500?

cheers!

Hey, welcome to the D80 'club'! :D

I've got a D80 kit last month and since 'invested' in a 50mm f1.8 (must have IMO if you find 1.4 too ex), remote control, small travel tripod and a grip (for fun..). This just abt cover most things i like to do.. for now.. keke.

Next 'investment' for me will be lights as well as fast, wide lens.. but these are expensive.. so saving now.. ;p

Zoom lens will be last on my list as I dun find myself using alor of it. Using my current 135mm, I think its sufficent (i dun do spy work lah ;)) and any longer than that.. I will buy a good VR lens (hands not as steady..:embrass:).

I also bought the D80 in last month and knowing from the previous trips that the schedules (planned by my gf) were really tight and there are situations where the lack of telephoto range was sorely missed, I exchanged the 18-135 for the 18-200 to include greater telephoto range and hope to avoid the hassle of lens changing.

Perhaps you can consider the latest AF-S 55-200mm VR lens, costs around $380 brand new which fits your budget.

ok i'll look it up, thanks!

What you intend to shoot with the telephoto lens and under what lighting conditions will determine what lens you need, which in turn determine the price.

mainly daytime outdoor stuff, i travel a lot for work and do a lot of walking around outside. just looking for something to take pics of people and the ocassional animal too.

If dats the case you can consider the 55-200VR, its a pretty good lens for available light shots in the outdoors! It has VR, and the 55mm focal length is more useful than 70mm of a 70-300 or 70-200 lens. Lens is pretty light weight too!

1) Nikon 80-200/2.8 AFD
2) Nikon 80-200/2.8 AFS
3) Nikon 70-200/2.8 VR
4) Nikon 80-400 VR

haf fun choosing mate

If dats the case you can consider the 55-200VR, its a pretty good lens for available light shots in the outdoors! It has VR, and the 55mm focal length is more useful than 70mm of a 70-300 or 70-200 lens. Lens is pretty light weight too!

cool thanks for that!

mainly daytime outdoor stuff, i travel a lot for work and do a lot of walking around outside. just looking for something to take pics of people and the ocassional animal too.

Outdoor+travel, I would recommend you the Nikon 18-200 VR, but it's around $1k+ used, a bit beyond your budget of $500. If you can extend your budget, you won't regret getting this lens. If you get the 55-200, you may also need another zoom to cover the wide side, like 18-70. It's up to you, I guess.

Telephoto???
hmm... as usual the recommendation for Nikkor lenses:
1) AF-S 55-200mm VR
2) AF-D 70-300mm ED (not the VR version)

The above 2 lenses price is below your expected price.
Other then that you only left which 3rd party options like sigma, tokina & tamron.

thanks for that guys

Haha...i'm currently using the 55-200VR and a 18-70. Both cost around $600++

I'll be sticking to this setup with my D80 for some time and both lenses have yet to disappoint me. I tried a tamron 18-200 setup before but i gave up (no money for nikon's 18-200VR)...

70-300 is also a good choice. Go for the ED version at least, can't remember the price though. The VR version of 70-300 is twice the price of the 55-200VR, which is not a justifiable buy as I won't want to pay $400+ more for an extra reach at 300mm.

get the 70-300 VR, light and good

btw the focal lenght you need is always 100mm more than what you have
a little more reach is always good to have

depends on what you are shooting

there is the sigma 70-300 macro as well

70-300 is also a good choice. Go for the ED version at least, can't remember the price though. The VR version of 70-300 is twice the price of the 55-200VR, which is not a justifiable buy as I won't want to pay $400+ more for an extra reach at 300mm.

The non-VR 70-300 Nikon is widely considered to be rubbish, IIRC. Much more worth it going for the 70-300mm Sigma APO DG Macro if your budget is around there. The 70-300 VR Nikon, on the other hand, has pretty awesome IQ, and of course, VR.

Well for 300+ you can get the Sigma 70-300mm APO DG Macro, features a macro mode which reduces the working distance from you to the subject. Just a suggestion.

However, you might find 70mm a little narrow. The Nikkor 55-200mm VR cost a little more but with less reach, 200mm instead of 300 but features VR. IMHO the VR in this lens is quite primitive and not as impressive as it's bigger brothers (18-200mm VR, 70-200mm VR).

cheers!

You could look at the Sigma 70-300mm f/4-5.6 APO DG MACRO. It's price plus the macro (it's not true macro, but it still works to a pretty good degree) is something hard to beat.

You can also try to look for a second hand nikkor 80-200 f/2.8 D because it also fits your budget and you can use it in low lighting situations. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.