Decent close-up filter

Status
Not open for further replies.

two200

Nov 19, 2004
Eunos
galleria2200.blogspot.com
Got myself a Hoya 58mm +4D close-up filter, Unfortunately, found that the chormatic aberration is quite horrendous. Any decent close-up lens recommendations? Bought +4D first to test the limits of my eyesight and the stability of my hands. A sample is attached.

xIMG_9882rx.jpg

Raynox DCR-250 / DCR-150 have been very popular here and are stackable as well.

I'm considering getting a close-up filter for my Macro lens.... for reason to get 'closer' then my macro lens can (min distance 30cm). But I'm using a Macrolite ring and can't mount it on Raynox.

I need a close-up filter that works like a normal UV filter (without 'cap' and with screw thread). If Hoya also not so good..... then how is B+W ?? :think:

Get Canon 500D Close up filter.

Another example, but more in focus

IMG_9862.jpg

You can actually see the colours at the base of letter n. The Raynox although at +8D does not seem to have such aberrations. Not sure if this is because the lens is not coated?:think:

u tried shooting with tripod? alternatively, u can try get an extender, that way u need not use a filter.

ohh by the way when u use close up filter, remove all existing filters (UV, CPL etc).

u tried shooting with tripod? alternatively, u can try get an extender, that way u need not use a filter.

ohh by the way when u use close up filter, remove all existing filters (UV, CPL etc).

No other filter used
Pic #1 probably worsen by the poor focusing. Even with tripod, there still seemed to be some aberration which is not found for those using Raynox filter.

Not sure if other user of Hoya close-up lens has similar issues or is it just me? :cry:

No other filter used
Pic #1 probably worsen by the poor focusing. Even with tripod, there still seemed to be some aberration which is not found for those using Raynox filter.

Not sure if other user of Hoya close-up lens has similar issues or is it just me? :cry:

i used hoya +4 filter before on my 50mm but i think still quite alright for me.

The multi element close up dioptres tend to do better than the single element ones. chromatic abberation is one, the other is corner sharpness as well.

I love the IQ of my Canon 500Ds. Even if i stack them, the IQ degradation is not noticeable. of course cannot beat the flat field sharpness of the dedicated macro lenses la.

ryan

Status
Not open for further replies.