Decayed Merlion.

Status
Not open for further replies.

xtemujin

Apr 1, 2005
Singapura, Singapore
Last month, I had a conversation in the train with an Australian couple who were on holiday here in Singapore.

They were heading back to their hotel in town from Jurong Bird park. The couple told me that the Merlion looks not properly maintained.

I decided to take some photos of the Merlion. True enough, it looks like the Merlion has a bad decay.

Photo taken on 27 June 2007.

DSC_01140001.jpg

Photo taken today, 16 July 2007.

RIMG0018.jpg

RIMG0019.jpg

This is definitely not decay. It looks more like stain caused by water seepage.

eeeeeeee............. kind of disgraceful.:embrass:

you know what ? write an email to.... :sweatsm: now email very powerful liao :bsmilie:

you know what ? write an email to.... :sweatsm: now email very powerful liao :bsmilie:

actually, i thought someone complained in stomp b4. few months back i think.

they clean it till its very near ndp..just like whenever mp come visit the estate then got thorough block washing..:bsmilie:

Satay gravy dipping from its mouth? :bsmilie: :bsmilie:

erm........... dun see anyone there coping the "delicious" sauce leh.

No action taken becos it was diverted to the proper chanel? maybe its time to write mass e-mail out to get more attention. :devil:

they did clean the merlion a few months ago.
that time the stain was from the mouth all the way down to the waves.
guess it's salt water corrosion kinda stain.

another wash before ndp? :dunno:

If you look at the sea water surrounding...it was yellowish instead of normal green amber....probably poluted by nearby constructions....I think the authority must have a plan in mind...prob after everything settled down....it's not practical to waste tax payer money to clean it more frequent just to see it get dirty again shortly....I think some job will be done when NDP is close..time will tell :lovegrin:

The whole pump system and pipes must have started to corrode and rust. Time to change the pumping system to non corrosive system. This is what we call a little Saving on the initial setup will cost more in the long run.

Everyday, many tourists take the photos of the Merlion to remind them of their visit to Singapore.

There needs to be a long term solution to solve the corrosion stains.

The whole pump system and pipes must have started to corrode and rust. Time to change the pumping system to non corrosive system. This is what we call a little Saving on the initial setup will cost more in the long run.

Looking at the 3rd photo, it seems the rusty trail does not come from the mouth but a little below it. Maybe it is due to the steel reinforcements inside the Merlion itself rusted and thru the small cracks, the rusty water dripped out. Not so easy to resolve.

It's indeed is a disgrace :eek:

Probably some with good English can write to ST forum to bring up the issue. STOMP may not be powerful enough.

Status
Not open for further replies.