Debate: EOS500D OR 40D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Muqaddimah

Aug 11, 2009
Hougang
Dear Photography experts...Need some advice...

Im getting a 500D or a 40D EOS...

One thing is that,im quite new....like a year into this photography thing....

Had a Entry level DSLR before but sold it already....

So im thinking whether to get the 500d or the 40D..

People say 500D got video but 40D no video...

Some people say 40D is better...n its worth your money...

2nd hand price for both cameras is almost the same..

i Like to shoot wedding photos,potrait and sports...So im thinking and thinking n thinking..till i cannot think anymore...

So pls help me~!!!hehehehe...

just buy. then make the most out of it. dont let anyone say you made the wrong purchase, otherwise this will be a vicious cycle of regrets.

40 D. for its dual dials. 500D for its newer =)

Dear Photography experts...Need some advice...

Im getting a 500D or a 40D EOS...

One thing is that,im quite new....like a year into this photography thing....

Had a Entry level DSLR before but sold it already....

So im thinking whether to get the 500d or the 40D..

People say 500D got video but 40D no video...

Some people say 40D is better...n its worth your money...

2nd hand price for both cameras is almost the same..

i Like to shoot wedding photos,potrait and sports...So im thinking and thinking n thinking..till i cannot think anymore...

So pls help me~!!!hehehehe...

If you need a camera with good hand grip, no question, go for 40D. 500d have all the latest technology, so it is up to you.

For me. I prefer 40D for better hand grip and better control buttons layout. Especially when shooting during cold weather with your hand gloves on, you will appreciate good hand grip. If you can't hold your camera steady, you will get blur photos.

As for new technology, they are nice to have features, but I seldom use all the features. Even for those older model, eg: 20D & 30D, they are good camera too.

Even the latest IXUS camera is so packed with features that can be quite confusing to use.

Last edited:
Agree with the Bro here..... go for 40D.... good cam...

How about buy 40D for your main gear and also 500D for backup ?

I had a friend who recently dumped his 500D for a 40D, citing the main reasons for a need of more controls).. I will say go for 40D also if u have no need for the video function.

If u need the Video, i rather recommend the new 550D :)

I tried both before and I can tell you the 40D produces very beautiful pics. It gives you a better grip and you will prob like the layout much better. Go for the 40D. It's a great camera. If you need video consider the 550D.

Seems most of the reviews been saying positive bout the 40D...Even i meet up one forum member,he even told me 40D coz of the better controls and the quality pics..

Hmmm...thinking and thinking....

Shud i rent both the bodies and try out first which one is my preference....coz actually my mind is on the 40D....

but because of the video factor its swaying back my decision...arrgghhh!!!

This is not a debate. This has been discussed to death. Please try a search.

just buy. then make the most out of it. dont let anyone say you made the wrong purchase, otherwise this will be a vicious cycle of regrets.

Agree. "The only regret I have is yesterday - and how I did not make better use of it". ;)

Since you've already stated your genre of photography, 40D will suits you better. Unless you want the latest technology, video and light body, else 40D is a good pick as a Semi-Pro body.

However, I would like to ask a question which may contradict my recommendation above, depending on how you interpret it. Why did you sell off your entry level body previously? If the reason is due to weight and bulkiness or due to mainly doing snapshots, I would rather you get a good PnS camera or a good micro 4/3 camera instead of a DSLR.

Thanks for all the comments!!!

at least ive made up my mind...

Going for the 40D..hehehehe...

Status
Not open for further replies.