Deal gone bad

Status
Not open for further replies.

kthan

May 6, 2003
www.picturecd.com
If a deal has gone bad because of the other party's total disregard to the terms of agreement, do I have the right to post his name and contact here to warn others?

Eric

Just wanna check with the moderators before i proceed....

Tried reasoning out with the other party??

kthan said:
If a deal has gone bad because of the other party's total disregard to the terms of agreement, do I have the right to post his name and contact here to warn others?

I think for a case like yours it should be totally valid. Of course, a reasonable effort should be put in to confirm that the person's lost of communication was deliberate.

Well, this is how the story goes.....

Arranged the viewing of a lens from this guy on sunday. Mentioned that I would need to fit the lens behind my underwater housing. However I forgot to bring my housing along so I suggested either I would bring my housing to his house to test everything again the next day, or I would pay for the lens, but on the condition that if the lens didn't fit, I would call him for a full refund that very nite. Well, the lens didn't fit.

So called him that evening to arrange the refund and he agreed to meet that nite. Around 9 pm, called again but his phone was dead. Been giving him the benefit of doubt by waiting for a few days, in case he lost his phone or something. If that is the case, he could still contact me via this forum since this is where I posted my WTB. In the meantime, whenever I called his hp, the message was "caller was unavailable".

The snapping point came when I tried his number again just after lunch today. It got thru but upon just hearing my "hello", he switched his phone off. I think it is a deliberate attempt to ignore me. I mean, this guy doesn't even have the guts to say something!

Well, I guess I should post his name and contact on this forum.

Eric

Also, he didn't want to meet me at his void deck or near his house all the while, choosing to meet At MRT station instead. :dunno:

kthan,
u hv my sympathy.
take it as a lesson learnt.
transaction has been made.
anyway, just have to be extremely careful in future.
cheer up, fren.

sorry to hear about your bad deal.

even if u post that chap's name here - its a case of your word against his...

kthan, sorry to hear that your deal had gone sour, and from the CS mod's point of view, there's really no guidelines in this area, except "Caveat Emptor - Let the Buyer Beware".

you're of course free to post the handle and name of the person involved, there's no stopping you, but i would highly advise that you give this enough time and the seller enough opportunity to respond to you. only if you're certain that the seller is behaving in an irresponsible manner should you react as such. we've seen too many incidents where there was a simple misunderstanding between buyer and seller and the matter was blown up of proportion due to over-reaction, to the extent of possible legal action against either party.

so, i'll highly advise again - caution and patience.

The Moderator
Marketplace

Well, I am happy with the lens and thank god I still have the lens. Only thing is why the guy gives assurances which he is unwilling to keep, for something less than $500? Surprised that he is willing to lose his reputation for just $500. :thumbsd:

Anyway, will wait for the mods. If they didn't say anything, I'll just go ahead with naming him and his contact number.

Tks everyone for their sympathies and good words.

Maybe people like Jay, Swimcraze and Avatar set standard too high. All of them are top notch clubsnappers who deal honourably.

Eric

ok Larry. Maybe the person who answers the phone is the guy who stole it from the seller. Will wait 2 more days. Afterall the seller knows I am waiting for a refund and knows where to find me.

Eric

lavenderlilz said:
sorry to hear about your bad deal.

even if u post that chap's name here - its a case of your word against his...

i am resigned to not getting the refund. It would be great if he does appear though. funny thing is if his hp is unable to get thru, that means he is giving up usuage for the past 2 days ! :bigeyes:

First all, this thread could be in another forum.

My sympathies, khtan. Nobody feels good losing money, or have their trust betrayed.

But I suggest you do not post this person's name and contact in any forums, because it will not help your case. He/She can just as easily create another account. And the whole affair will get worse before it gets better, if at all.

Personally, the forum is growing, and along with that, you get all types.

My advise to folks who want to transact: if there is any doubt, don't trade. Even if it is convenient, or you are making a savings, or it seems like a good deal etc.etc. If you think there is a way the guy could play you out, then hold back and rethink.

Personal assurance, guarantees or warranties mean nothing, without black and white.

Always ask all questions, never be pai-seh. Ask until you are satisfied. Check all historical posts by the seller.

If the guy is impatient, or dodgy, or not forthcoming, then forget about it. If he cannot even butter you before the deal, forget about getting any "after-sales" service after money has changed hands.

I'm with kthan on this one. If the seller was making comments on here and defending himself, I would say that it is indeed one person's word against the other. As it turns out, it seems as if he is hiding and avoiding Eric on the matter, this casts very strong doubt onto his sincerity of honouring his side of the agreement, or even trying to prove he's morally justified to keep the money.

I think that such cases, where there is beyond reasonable doubt that it is a common misunderstanding, there is no good reason not to let his identity be known. If you can post the real name even better, becaues as frisky said, he can change his handle, but not so easy to change his real name... Allowing (or even encouraging) this would serve 2 purposes:
1) Act as a deterrant to have your name rubbed in the mud, or discourage such behaviour where the party simply takes the money and runs/hides
2) Warn other buyers in the future of not taking this guy at his word.

I believe there are people about that you can take at their word. Sometimes I take people at their word and I will trust them, if they say they will give 7 days personal warranty on a product. Sometimes you get a feeling of how trustworthy a person is from just talking to them for a while. But then there are people that you just cannot trust, and I for one, would like to know from someone else's experience whether a person is more likely to be trust-worthy, or whether we should get his IC number and home address before transacting...

Of course this should only be done when there is beyond any reasonable doubt that the person might be innocent of not being trustable. Hiding and hanging up the phone is a pretty good indication he is not trustable. If there is indeed some explanation for his behaviour, I would invite him to enter the discussion and defend himself. If not, I do not see why his name should be kept secret. The motto is: let the buyer beware, this is how we buyers are being wary. By sharing information on someone who is not trustworthy.

fruitybix said:
First all, this thread could be in another forum.

My sympathies, khtan. Nobody feels good losing money, or have their trust betrayed.

But I suggest you do not post this person's name and contact in any forums, because it will not help your case. He/She can just as easily create another account. And the whole affair will get worse before it gets better, if at all.

Personally, the forum is growing, and along with that, you get all types.

My advise to folks who want to transact: if there is any doubt, don't trade. Even if it is convenient, or you are making a savings, or it seems like a good deal etc.etc. If you think there is a way the guy could play you out, then hold back and rethink.

Personal assurance, guarantees or warranties mean nothing, without black and white.

Always ask all questions, never be pai-seh. Ask until you are satisfied. Check all historical posts by the seller.

If the guy is impatient, or dodgy, or not forthcoming, then forget about it. If he cannot even butter you before the deal, forget about getting any "after-sales" service after money has changed hands.

FULLY AGREED! well spoken.

Give that ASS!@%* a break, probably he has got problems of his own. What he did is not ethical and ungentleman but sometimes he really has problem and he didn't have the gut to tell you.
Juz be more careful next time.
I have this problem too last week. He reserved my bag and assured me he will arrange to view it on Sat or Sun. So i wasted 1 whole week calling him, pm him , etc... until I gave up. Now if he wants to buy i also dont want to sell to him. Luckily I didnt commit to another bag from another person b4 i settled with him.

Sorry to hear about your misfortune Eric and you're not the first as others already had been hit in one way or another. There wont be any shortages of this. I too have gone through what LauLee has and likewise on the watchout for these people.

We have not set any high standard (thank you for your compliment) but rather just deal as what are expected of us .. integrity and am very sure there are plenty of us here in CS. Just be careful in your future dealings.

Cheers

I think you have every right to post his name and number here.

a) he has the opportunity to defend himself, at a later date even. but meanwhile after so many postings, he hasn't, that's his fault.

b) if he is using any nick with an established reputation, well, that's gone.

c) he has to change handphone number. which is just sweet revenge.
might not cost him much, but hey, that's the only gratification you can get.

oops: your post was only 2 hours ago. give it 3 days.

loupgarou said:
I think you have every right to post his name and number here.

a) he has the opportunity to defend himself, at a later date even. but meanwhile after so many postings, he hasn't, that's his fault.

b) if he is using any nick with an established reputation, well, that's gone.

c) he has to change handphone number. which is just sweet revenge.
might not cost him much, but hey, that's the only gratification you can get.

Hahaha...let's give him a few more days, in case his hp is really lost

I agree with Larry. It's only been 2 days since the deal, and 2 hours since this thread was started. Should give the guy just a little more time to respond?
There's once I was selling something, and on the day of the deal, I couldn't contact him at all, even by calling his handphone. So I thought he's not interested anymore. In the end, it turns out that he was on MC on that day and handphone was off.

On a more positive note, perhaps the moderators could consider starting a thread on buyer/seller "rating"? For all to post their good experiences dealing with a particular person in CS? :)

Larry said:
kthan, sorry to hear that your deal had gone sour, and from the CS mod's point of view, there's really no guidelines in this area, except "Caveat Emptor - Let the Buyer Beware".

you're of course free to post the handle and name of the person involved, there's no stopping you, but i would highly advise that you give this enough time and the seller enough opportunity to respond to you. only if you're certain that the seller is behaving in an irresponsible manner should you react as such. we've seen too many incidents where there was a simple misunderstanding between buyer and seller and the matter was blown up of proportion due to over-reaction, to the extent of possible legal action against either party.

so, i'll highly advise again - caution and patience.

The Moderator
Marketplace

Status
Not open for further replies.