dDSLR dilemma

Status
Not open for further replies.

Robin

Mar 5, 2004
Tanah Merah
Hi Guys.....I currently have an F70 with 2 zoom lenses... 28-70D and 70-210D........

Unfortunately the F70's film advance has been giving problems....stopping at times and causing unecessary multiple exposures(would have been good if i could control it.... :) ) The problem got worse and now it will remain stuck at the 1st frame....

I am thinking of going Digital for a while now....

Problem is....should I get a Nikon DSLR body like D70 and continue to use my 2 zooms(still in excellent condition) or should I get a high end digicam(thinking panasonic fz10) and maybe repair my F70?

Any advise Guys...? :confused:

depends on your budget and how comfortable u r with digital. also, 28mm on d70 => not wide anymore

I was thinking.....D70.....at 1,888 (without lens).... is not that far off from panasonic fz10(1,000).......

35mm is enough for me for wide angle for now...... :)

By the way....does Nikon have image stabilisation for their lenses....?
Cause that is a plus point for fz10.....

nikon has AFS 24-120mm/f3.5-5.6 G VR, AFS 70-200/f2.8 G VR , and the AF 80-400mm/f4.5-5.6 VR . vr=vibration reduction

clive said:
nikon has AFS 24-120mm/f3.5-5.6 G VR, AFS 70-200/f2.8 G VR , and the AF 80-400mm/f4.5-5.6 VR . vr=vibration reduction

Does it cost a lot more than normal equivalent without VR.....?

Maybe you might want to consider going for D70 coz you still have a couple of Nikon lenses. As for the prosumer cams, I would recommend traditional camera makers like Canon, Olympus, Fujifilm, Minolta & Nikon. Just a personal perception is that I have a couple of friends whom have owned Panasonics digicams before and they complain like hell over the slow focusing and quality of the images.

That's just a perception :dunno: , so Pana folks pls don't flame me ok?

tbteng said:
Maybe you might want to consider going for D70 coz you still have a couple of Nikon lenses. As for the prosumer cams, I would recommend traditional camera makers like Canon, Olympus, Fujifilm, Minolta & Nikon. Just a personal perception is that I have a couple of friends whom have owned Panasonics digicams before and they complain like hell over the slow focusing and quality of the images.

That's just a perception :dunno: , so Pana folks pls don't flame me ok?

Thanks....I guess I might do that.....only thing.....I really liked the vibration reduction feature in the fz10.....

If you get vibration reduction lenses for Nikon.....does it cost a lot more than their normal equivalants....?

:think: for me... I will get the D70 and use the existing 2 lenses (which IMO is sufficient)....

surely VR lenses are expensive (at least for me!)...

over to you... :sweat: :sweat: :sweat:

tzechuan said:
:think: for me... I will get the D70 and use the existing 2 lenses (which IMO is sufficient)....

surely VR lenses are expensive (at least for me!)...

over to you... :sweat: :sweat: :sweat:

Hmm.....you have a point.....

i am using a panasonic fz1.
and i think it sucks like hell..screwed up focusing accuracy and speed. in bright daylight until i get sunburn also can focus wrong or tell me cannot focus lock.

sure fz10 has 12x zoom but the image quality sucks at max zoom. even at ISO 100 and 200 i can get loads, i repeat >>>>LOADS<<<< of digital noise.

when at night...better keep yr cam in yr bag...cos it aint gonna be any more use....
go get a f828 or 8700/5700 if u want a prosumer cam

anyway i wont flame u but i wont flame panasonic itself. ;p

acetylcholine said:
i am using a panasonic fz1.
and i think it sucks like hell..screwed up focusing accuracy and speed. in bright daylight until i get sunburn also can focus wrong or tell me cannot focus lock.

sure fz10 has 12x zoom but the image quality sucks at max zoom. even at ISO 100 and 200 i can get loads, i repeat >>>>LOADS<<<< of digital noise.

when at night...better keep yr cam in yr bag...cos it aint gonna be any more use....
go get a f828 or 8700/5700 if u want a prosumer cam

anyway i wont flame u but i wont flame panasonic itself. ;p

Ok....Sorry to hear that....but the problem is....I have shaky hands.....thats why i am considering the fz10 with IS........ A lot of my previous photos were destroyed by handshakes.....

Robin said:
Ok....Sorry to hear that....but the problem is....I have shaky hands.....thats why i am considering the fz10 with IS........ A lot of my previous photos were destroyed by handshakes.....

the only thing that anyone can probably call it a saving grace is the IS and also the write speed,and burst mode(only surpassed by D2H,maybe i dunno abt other cams)
the write speed is not bad though, write almost instantaneous

i can say... if u've used and are used to an SLR, u'd be quite frustrated with a digicam to start off with. whether or not u get used to the digicam eventually is of course entirely up to individual. ;)

Thanks guys for all the invaluable comments.......

I read at some of the forums people complaining that fz10's telephoto end has a lack of sharpness and also bad chromatic aberation........

Is that true....?

jOhO said:
i can say... if u've used and are used to an SLR, u'd be quite frustrated with a digicam to start off with. whether or not u get used to the digicam eventually is of course entirely up to individual. ;)
Not so... a DSLR is exactly the same in terms of user operations (after initial setup and configurations) as that of a SLR, main difference is the use of a compact flash card instead of film. This also assumes that you already have the fundamentals required in take a properly exposed shot, be it on the DSLR or SLR body. This is completely different from a digital compact/digicam.

There is hardly any difference (except for position of controls) when I switch between my F5, D1H or D100.

Robin said:

I read at some of the forums people complaining that fz10's telephoto end has a lack of sharpness and also bad chromatic aberation........

Is that true....?

VERY TRUE.
forgive my caps but it is so serious anything with a bright background sure to have CA 1...
sharpness? ha...dream on...

sad but true

Robin said:

Is that true....?

Since you are worried able shaking, did you consider the new KM DIMAGE A2?

tbteng said:
Since you are worried able shaking, did you consider the new KM DIMAGE A2?

I did actually.....but I am not familiar with minolta camera system.....always been using my f70......

Panasonic fz10 cropped up because of their Leica lens......

Robin said:
I did actually.....but I am not familiar with minolta camera system.....always been using my f70......

Panasonic fz10 cropped up because of their Leica lens......

Well you could always try it out at the IT Show....There's a whole host of camera makes there and I'm sure you'll find one that suits you well.

Status
Not open for further replies.