DCRP Review: Sigma SD10 - Something that we should get excited over?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well the jury is still out on that one I guess... the SD-10 has some things I dun like - no AF assist, and if u use the flash for AF assist, it must be a flash picture. Sigma flashes also tend not to be very accurate (in my very limited experience)... maybe I'm spoiled by Minolta's flash system....

The SD10 suffers from a major flaw like the SD9 before it. It only takes Sigma lenses. Aside from that, it is a basic camera body, but if that works for you, the X3 technology is very good indeed.

But other brands only take their own brand lens? Like Nikon or Canon? I suppose there are also pretty good Sigma lenses out there? Not all are duds I suppose, although perhaps Canon and Nikon has a larger array of better lens. So would Sigma using only Sigma lens constitute a major flaw if there are some decent lens from Sigma at most of the usual focal lengths?

SD10 = takes only Sigma lenses
Canon/Nikon = takes their own brands + 3rd party lenses (Sigma, Tamron, etc.)

So Canon/Nikon users have a wider choice over Sigma users in terms of lens selection. Anyway, SD10 is out for quite some time already, and apparently the consumers are not excited over it. Resolution is good, but its noise control leaves much to be desired.

TME said:
So would Sigma using only Sigma lens constitute a major flaw if there are some decent lens from Sigma at most of the usual focal lengths?

Like I said, if you can live with it, then it's not a problem.

IMO at the price-point of 10D and D100. SD-10's success is a question :thumbsd: . While sigma is known for "cheaper" and good lenses, selling thier body at the same price as major brands :confused:

TME said:
Well the jury is still out on that one I guess... the SD-10 has some things I dun like - no AF assist, and if u use the flash for AF assist, it must be a flash picture. Sigma flashes also tend not to be very accurate (in my very limited experience)... maybe I'm spoiled by Minolta's flash system....

is there no way to not fire the flash on the SD10? :think:

Jed said:
Like I said, if you can live with it, then it's not a problem.

Yeah I agree... thanks Ah Pao also for highlighting about the 3rd party lens for Canon and Nikon.... didn't see that one at all.... :embrass:

If only one of the major manufacturers like Canon or Nikon or Olympus, etc would invest in the Foveon tech... perhaps we might see better results, afterall, they have been in the business for some time now since the launch of the first DSLR.... maybe they have something better up their sleeves...

Status
Not open for further replies.