DBS internet banking was hacked?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ninelives

Jan 16, 2002
BB
ninelives.clubsnap.org
I heard it from a taxi driver. "hacker" has withdrawn money from user internet banking account.

anyone got any infos or news on this? is it true?

oh sheesh!

hope i'm not the unlucky one :( mayb I am, that's why I have so little money left :cry:

I wonder how they could say this:
"DBS would not say how much was involved but said security was not breached"

I would believe that it was mostly due to the user. If I'm not wrong, his computer was probably hacked by worms or virus. Some of these actually track your keypresses and especially passwords.

These are then sent to the source which I guess used it to transfer the amounts.

Just my gor jiam. (5c)

the hacker was stupid....transfering all the money stolen to a single acc.
cock wat was he thinking man. must be a amatuer or worse a script kiddie :rolleyes:

Originally posted by mpenza
I wonder how they could say this:
"DBS would not say how much was involved but said security was not breached"

I guessed the 'hacker' somehow managed to get the correct password and gained access to the accounts with those passwords. So in this case, it's considered authorised access (no reason for the bank to reject u because it's just like u and me logging on using our own password). That's why it's not considered security breached.

I still remembered beginning of this year when I came back from holiday, I received a letter from DBS regarding someone trying to gain access to my account with incorrect password. As you know, DBS will only suspend your account after 3 attempts. Each time I requested DBS to reset my password, the fellow tried his luck again and all in all I received about 3 'incorrect password' letters, which is about 9 failed attempts.

When I called DBS, they said nothing they can do but advised me to change my user id. I didn't do anything but luckily after numereous failed attempts, the fellow just gave up trying. Until now, I still dunno it is someone trying to break into my account or just some plain blur folk using a wrong user ID.

Whatever it is, always choose your password wisely. A good password should have mixture of capital and lowercase alphabets plus numeric. Also don't use the same password as those accounts that you signed up on the net. You never know how people will abuse it, especially if you use the same user Id as your bank. Voila, a easy way to gain access to your i-bank.

Originally posted by sue

Whatever it is, always choose your password wisely. A good password should have mixture of capital and lowercase alphabets plus numeric. Also don't use the same password as those accounts that you signed up on the net. You never know how people will abuse it, especially if you use the same user Id as your bank. Voila, a easy way to gain access to your i-bank.

the dbs password is only numeric.

Originally posted by ninelives

the dbs password is only numeric.

Yup... make sure don't use home telephone number as password. Can just pick up from yellow pages. :eek: Actually lots of companies force employees to change their office passwords at pre-designated time, like every 90 days or such. Guess it's difficult for banks to implement such policies without getting violent protest from the public.

Besides DBS i-bank, I have OCBC i-bank too. Once I logged into my OCBC a/c, and somehow distracted to look at some other bank products and almost forgot to logoff. Imagine if someone happen to use your terminal!

Originally posted by sue

Yup... make sure don't use home telephone number as password. Can just pick up from yellow pages. :eek: Actually lots of companies force employees to change their office passwords at pre-designated time, like every 90 days or such. Guess it's difficult for banks to implement such policies without getting violent protest from the public.

Besides DBS i-bank, I have OCBC i-bank too. Once I logged into my OCBC a/c, and somehow distracted to look at some other bank products and almost forgot to logoff. Imagine if someone happen to use your terminal!

Agreed.
I think the security breaches were done using keylog programs.
I've tried them once (not on anyone else, but on another in my network :D ), and it's really a Trojan Horse that opens a backdoor in your system.

If you really make sure that no loopholes are in your system (like updated anti-virus programs, firewalls), chances of these happening are really low.

Note that these defences are not enough to TOTALLY deter any hacks.... Firewalls can still be bypassed. :)

hmm, taking taxi is better then driving your own car. got 1st hand news from taxi driver before even it was released on newspaper.

:D

Originally posted by wildhoney
oh sheesh!

that's why I have so little money left :cry:
of coz lar you operate this operate that, which part of your body is real ? :D

just joking, no hard feeling.

docile, don't hit me. :cool:

Status
Not open for further replies.