DBS Bank deducts payment from NS allowance, leaves only $1 in account

Status
Not open for further replies.
vince123123 said:

recently happen to me that i always pay my bills through vpost. last month vpost to me tht i have insufficent amount in my account. i went to dbs bank update my account but amount was deducted and not reflected in my bank book. i call my singtel,starhub to see when was my lasest payment .they told me that i have clear my bill.

i was wondering what DBS BANK HAVE BEEN doing.

chuanwee_yeo said:
recently happen to me that i always pay my bills through vpost. last month vpost to me tht i have insufficent amount in my account. i went to dbs bank update my account but amount was deducted and not reflected in my bank book. i call my singtel,starhub to see when was my lasest payment .they told me that i have clear my bill.

i was wondering what DBS BANK HAVE BEEN doing.

They are all link and they will deduct whatever in your bank if you fail to pay almost any bill be it Singtel, PUB etc.... Although so call private operated, but still can access to your bank account. I wonder what kind of confidentiality does the bank have?

Bank is only good for the rich (it will make them richer) and if you are just an average salary earner, don't ever borrow any cent from the bank especially credit cards or credit line.

He who deducts the money from the army wouldn't make him any richer infact it makes the army guy poorer. This is one of the example of showing compassion to the people whereby the big boys don't lead, how can we follow....

Bobman said:
They are all link and they will deduct whatever in your bank if you fail to pay almost any bill be it Singtel, PUB etc.... Although so call private operated, but still can access to your bank account. I wonder what kind of confidentiality does the bank have?

what are you talking about. no one can take any money from your bank account unless there has been a previous GIRO deduction authorisation. So if you don't want your money to disappear for no reason, don't use GIRO.

bobman said:
… and if you are just an average salary earner, don't ever borrow any cent from the bank especially credit cards or credit line.

yes, this is just sound financial discipline. unfortunately something many people cannot managed to observe.

hwchoy said:
what are you talking about. no one can take any money from your bank account unless there has been a previous GIRO deduction authorisation. So if you don't want your money to disappear for no reason, don't use GIRO.

I am talking through experience. Just to make it simple. A company runs by 2 directors and the some bills were not paid for 2 months and suddenly money was deducted from the 2 directors account. Don't believe, nevermind.

user111 said:
i remember a many yrs ago..there was a point in time when i had $2.56 in my bank account. lol
haha my lowest point was $1. :bsmilie:

Bobman said:
I am talking through experience. Just to make it simple. A company runs by 2 directors and the some bills were not paid for 2 months and suddenly money was deducted from the 2 directors account. Don't believe, nevermind.

of course not. and they did nothing?

Sorry for the OT. And nothing related to the above problem(s). I just wondering does our monthly PUB bills cost is reasonable enough to be deducted from GIRO? Cos I always wonder is PUB giving us the right details as we pay every month?:dunno: Don't flame me & pardon my ignorance.:embrass:

Spectrum said:
Sorry for the OT. And nothing related to the above problem(s). I just wondering does our monthly PUB bills cost is reasonable enough to deduct from GIRO? Cos I always wonder is PUB giving us the right details as we pay every month?:dunno: Don't flame me & pardon my ignorance.:embrass:

I have the same issue, they go by estimation per month adn doubt thier accuracy.;(

Sjourn said:
I have the same issue, they go by estimation per month adn doubt thier accuracy.;(

they have ppl to check the meter... and they will take the previous month's meter minus this month's den use the amount multiply by the cost for that month...

so if they can't check *meter inside* like my factory here... then they will slip a note to tell us to fill up & send to them... so if we din send in tis month, we will think... eh sibeh cheap leh... govt giving us incentive issit? den next mth they check... then u will cry liao... ;p

simplicity_ said:
When i was working in a bank, each cheque that came thru to be cashed in was manually checked by my manager (for signatures difference) and several other colleagues for other misc stuff (date, amt etc). so someone might have missed the signature difference. -shrugs-
True, but that's the point. The signature is the critical piece here. It MUST be checked for authenticity, specially when the amount is not small (this was about $2K if I remember correct). Otherwise anyone who steals a leaf out of my cheque book can scribble any signature and there's great chance that it will be honoured.
It's not so much the technicalities, but their attitude which drove me away. Another incident to relate. When my ATM card got spoilt after years of use, I called the bank, and they asked me to come over and get it replaced. I take time off from work and go to the bank, and they say the machine is spoilt. When I ask when it'll be available, they ask me to call again after a day or so. Huh? Ridiculous.:angry:
Anyway we're digressing here, back to the original thread....

my house - estimated reading a month followed by actual reading next month, with adjustment.

you could record your usage/s yourself. actually, they encourage it. then, compare.

Sjourn said:

my company's SP bills is recorded directly by SP through a telephone line. (on line monitoring) Amount per month is ard SGD1.7 million.

Back to original case. I think the issue here is not on sympathy. As every organisation need to accounts for every cents. I this case, DBS have the rights IMO to recover back what is owed to them. There was a saying that the Banks are the legal "load Shark".

Pity the NSguy. but when I look back, I have also at a stage of my life without a cent. Not everyone is born rich and not every rich man remains rich and vice versa. Is the $1 per CSer still on for this poor guy?

the right of setoff is usually reserved by the bank. so, if one account is in deficit while another is in surplus position, the bank will do the necessary.

in singapore if u cant have peanuts, u only can eat dust..

Bobman said:

dun believe ley.

director and the company is separate entity.
even if they wanna deduct, they oso can't deduct the director's personal bank account's money...

if like that mix up.. wad for incorporate as pte ltd... no longer limited liaoz then.

alankuik said:
dun believe ley.

director and the company is separate entity.
even if they wanna deduct, they oso can't deduct the director's personal bank account's money...

if like that mix up.. wad for incorporate as pte ltd... no longer limited liaoz then.

maybe its sole proprietor... or they gurantor for it?

reachme2003 said:
the right of setoff is usually reserved by the bank. so, if one account is in deficit while another is in surplus position, the bank will do the necessary.

yes that's right. some some are allegating that banks deduct on other corporate's behalf (such as PUB, etc) which is not the bank's account.

poohbear you still around? Would really like to help this poor guy a little.

Did a little speed reading across the thread. Felt a little upset having seen some of the comments made. There are always lows and highs in our life. I worked myself through poly as well and am still working to pay my university bills back to my parents. I was lucky that I managed to pull through poly and trust me, it ain't easy. Not everyone is a genius. :rolleyes:

At one time, I really thought I was better off dead. I know buisiness is buisiness but there ought to be concessions given to situations like these especially with Chinese New Year nearing. :dunno:

Status
Not open for further replies.