DBS Bank deducts payment from NS allowance, leaves only $1 in account

Status
Not open for further replies.
wind30 said:
sad case?

not sure if I will get flamed but I find that not really sad leh. He took a study loan and failed to graduate.... Some things are beyond your control but the above is not.

There are sadder cases around where circumstances are REALLY beyond one's control.

With $1 in the bank, if it's not sad it is sorrowful. With his circumstance, he tried to study and graduate but could'nt. This are real issues, and could drive people to do desperate things like robbery or theft.

Sjourn said:
With $1 in the bank, if it's not sad it is sorrowful. With his circumstance, he tried to study and graduate but could'nt. This are real issues, and could drive people to do desperate things like robbery or theft.

Well, they don't really care about what you do after they took back what is belongs to them anyway. Sucks real big time right? Can you imagine the power of the rich!:think:

poohbear said:
What if each of us from CS, pledge $1 , at least there's money for them to pass CNY. :think:

good idea hor... just needs his address only... :bsmilie: think pledge a can of abalone also can... (think he will be richest afterall)

anyway, back to the initial discussion...

from my POV, sometimes organisation just needs 1 bad head to screw the rest... thread all the way down & find deep sh*t...

just think about it... perhaps its some kind hearted officer that approves his deferment, then the superior just says no, cos the superior might be one that is a high flyer, every step of the way he just score with flying colors, young & rich, and after reading about his loan deferment excuses, just got pissed, and think... hey this guy could have just studied harder and pass the exams, get his diploma, and i won't be chasing after the money... so deferment cancelled... or maybe even a higher superior just tell the officer, y did u allow this deferment? i don't approve, we are running an bank not a charity organisation... even NKF only gives 10c for every $1, so y should we even let him defer for a month? imagine how much interest we would lose, and that interest is your pay, either you go or he pay... :angry:

so just end of the day... sometimes if think about it... if he did complete the contract, he wouldn't need to think about it now... and we won't be commenting now... and i wonder how come they leave $1 for him... the minimum sum? or its so damn accurate of them...

and the moral of the story... get grants and loans only when you know you have the capacity to honor it... otherwise, dun go to the bank...

Sjourn said:

brudder, yep... with only $1 in my bank... i'll go kidnap u, no joke...

but i still feel that, dbs is not wrong in this case... althou it may create a hoo haa.... if i was DBS, unless if i give him a deferment, it would bring a very (very very very) big incentive, y not? but in actual fact, no...

sometimes i just believe that yes we can be compassionate, but we must separate individuals against commitments and contracts.

Del_CtrlnoAlt said:
good idea hor... just needs his address only... :bsmilie: think pledge a can of abalone also can... (think he will be richest afterall)

anyway, back to the initial discussion...

from my POV, sometimes organisation just needs 1 bad head to screw the rest... thread all the way down & find deep sh*t...

just think about it... perhaps its some kind hearted officer that approves his deferment, then the superior just says no, cos the superior might be one that is a high flyer, every step of the way he just score with flying colors, young & rich, and after reading about his loan deferment excuses, just got pissed, and think... hey this guy could have just studied harder and pass the exams, get his diploma, and i won't be chasing after the money... so deferment cancelled... or maybe even a higher superior just tell the officer, y did u allow this deferment? i don't approve, we are running an bank not a charity organisation... even NKF only gives 10c for every $1, so y should we even let him defer for a month? imagine how much interest we would lose, and that interest is your pay, either you go or he pay... :angry:

so just end of the day... sometimes if think about it... if he did complete the contract, he wouldn't need to think about it now... and we won't be commenting now... and i wonder how come they leave $1 for him... the minimum sum? or its so damn accurate of them...

and the moral of the story... get grants and loans only when you know you have the capacity to honor it... otherwise, dun go to the bank...

人在江湖,身不由己 ..... if he had the means to study poly without having to apply for study loan, I'm sure he would. Sometimes , we need a 2nd chance in life, no matter what. If he's given a second chance to complete his studies, get a better job, isn't it better ? 唉哉 唉哉 :cry:

Del_CtrlnoAlt said:
brudder, yep... with only $1 in my bank... i'll go kidnap u, no joke...

but i still feel that, dbs is not wrong in this case... althou it may create a hoo haa.... if i was DBS, unless if i give him a deferment, it would bring a very (very very very) big incentive, y not? but in actual fact, no...

sometimes i just believe that yes we can be compassionate, but we must separate individuals against commitments and contracts.

I so poor you want to kidnap??:sweat: :sweat: (Mine thousands of brothers here will be hungry, they depend on me.) and they will find you. I let you have second thoughts..:bsmilie:

it's just a deferment, how much interest is that? Believe DBS can afford, but can it afford bad name?

I think the main issue isn't so much of deferment or not, but that DBS deducted funds without authorisation - unless of course their T&Cs allow even that.

Even if I have $100k in the bank and I refuse to pay off my S$5k, barring what is in the T&Cs, DBS cannot deduct my 100k to offset my $5k. They have to send me a letter of demand/writ of summons to get back the S$5k.

Anyone bothered to read T&Cs of savings accounts can supplement with information?

poohbear said:
人在江湖,身不由己 ..... if he had the means to study poly without having to apply for study loan, I'm sure he would. Sometimes , we need a 2nd chance in life, no matter what. If he's given a second chance to complete his studies, get a better job, isn't it better ? 唉哉 唉哉 :cry:

same sentiments...

poohbear said:

yup yup... but sometimes ppl think about higher prospects... like me lor... think i might be like him if without my parents... motivated to study but always flung exams... i just like attending courses... :cry:

Sjourn said:
I so poor you want to kidnap??:sweat: :sweat: (Mine thousands of brothers here will be hungry, they depend on me.) and they will find you. I let you have second thoughts..:bsmilie:

it's just a deferment, how much interest is that? Believe DBS can afford, but can it afford bad name?

nevermind mah.. i dun go kidnap u in China only wat... sg i still quite safe... and if really they fly over, singapore tourism board would thank me man.... :bsmilie:

aiya, sometimes hor, not that maybe the officer dun wan, who know where they have 1 T&C in their guidelines say cannot, they lppl also cannot, unless send to the CEO for approval... then CEO see 8k nia... simi yao siu mi kia... den throw aside... (imagine 1 day 100 of such proposal... where got time to pah golf?)

den if they let 1 go, den monkey see monkey do... ho say liao...

Agree with DCL and others who think DBS didn't do anything really wrong.

Turnover of billions, having lots of $, .... i think with this, you still can't say 8K i nothing to them. Those running your own business will know, you let them owe once, they'll take it for granted next time and u can always expect late payments already.

The bank is not a charitable organisation.
imo, knowing his family is in financial trouble, taking a bank loan to study and still failing to graduate from poly, only goes to show how hard he tried in his studies. Maybe there are other factors in question here, but i guess, fail means fail man.

There's a whole big group of us poly students who work like **** during our school days to support ourselves and still pass with good grades.

Maybe this guy can go to his CO or wadever proper channels to ask for financial assistance.
or take up photography and earn some $ as freelance photographer <-- cs experts coach him lar.. :bsmilie: anything to earn some pocket money.

nowadays recruit pay already very good already... compared to ours miserable years ago.

complain and complain... complain to the press.... so typically singaporean

alankuik said:

imo, knowing his family is in financial trouble, taking a bank loan to study and still failing to graduate from poly, only goes to show how hard he tried in his studies. Maybe there are other factors in question here, but i guess, fail means fail man.

There's a whole big group of us poly students who work like **** during our school days to support ourselves and still pass with good grades.

Maybe this guy can go to his CO or wadever proper channels to ask for financial assistance.
or take up photography and earn some $ as freelance photographer <-- cs experts coach him lar.. :bsmilie: anything to earn some pocket money.

nowadays recruit pay already very good already... compared to ours miserable years ago.

clap clap. I fully agree with you. Sometimes I think singaporeans are too naive. So many poly students work also can get good grades. He did not even graduate. Seriously is it that hard to just graduate??

Ultimately facts are facts. That guy takes a loan to STUDY and he did not EVEN graduate. Who can he blame? Everyone who defaults on loans HAS PROBLEMS. Just because that guy know how to write to Straits Times DOES NOT make him any special.

Just stir up bad publicity for the bank. If EVERYONE who defaults want special concensus... might as well close DBS. Even if special concensus are to be given, IMHO he does not deserve it. I am sure there are others who are more deserving, like sole breadwinner die/fall sick, etc. Things that ARE ACTS of GOD.

The point here is that a deduction was made, but not according to what the aggreived understands it to be i.e. DBS deducted whatever it could save the last dollar. If you had no money, would you have allowed the bank to do this, or would you have at least ensured that some money is left behind for subsistence purposes or in case of emergencies?

For those who think lightly of the situation, I hope that your karma will befall you one day, and you see yourself in a similar situation.

P.S. For anakuik, you obviously do not know how hard life can be for some, when you can stupidly suggest taking up photography as part time work when there is no money to begin with.

clap clap clap!... ^5!

dem dem dem dem.... HIGH FiVE!.. dem dem dem dem.... HIGH FIVE!.... la... lalalala.... la.. lalalalalalala......

parchiao, maybe you read my post too shallowly, i meant that photography part as a joke.
my point is that, something can be done other than complain.

What i believe in, and many i'm sure, is the chinese saying "got hands got legs, won't starve one".

Anyway, pardon me for my seemingly low class conversation here. hope no offense.

If u ask me about poverty, i can tell u that when i'm young, 5 of us in our family shared an apple. and we had lunch like plain porridge with only pickles.. every day.. poor enough?

again, i'm not faulting the guy for his situation. Just suggesting that he should maybe go to proper channels and seek for financial assistance, instead of making use of hte media to complain and seek attention.

alankuik said:
parchiao, maybe you read my post too shallowly, i meant that photography part as a joke.
my point is that, something can be done other than complain.

What i believe in, and many i'm sure, is the chinese saying "got hands got legs, won't starve one".

Anyway, pardon me for my seemingly low class conversation here. hope no offense.

If u ask me about poverty, i can tell u that when i'm young, 5 of us in our family shared an apple. and we had lunch like plain porridge with only pickles.. every day.. poor enough?

again, i'm not faulting the guy for his situation. Just suggesting that he should maybe go to proper channels and seek for financial assistance, instead of making use of hte media to complain and seek attention.

Okay, maybe you have been poor as well, and you know how tough it is, but do spare a thought for those who are still caught in the poverty trap, and have little or no means to get out of it. For these people, I would spare some sympathy for them, rather than to take the side of some rich corporate that OR some ******* getting an awfully good salary who does not do enough to help.

vince123123 said:
I think the main issue isn't so much of deferment or not, but that DBS deducted funds without authorisation - unless of course their T&Cs allow even that.

Even if I have $100k in the bank and I refuse to pay off my S$5k, barring what is in the T&Cs, DBS cannot deduct my 100k to offset my $5k. They have to send me a letter of demand/writ of summons to get back the S$5k.

Anyone bothered to read T&Cs of savings accounts can supplement with information?

I think the whole issue is not abt Ee Voon complaining the bank heartless blah blah ... but more likely IMO the above . Give Ee Voon a notice lah ... Can anyone have some sympathy on him ? HOnestly , how many of you can tahan 1 month with $1 to your name ?

alankuik said:

Turnover of billions, having lots of $, .... i think with this, you still can't say 8K i nothing to them. Those running your own business will know, you let them owe once, they'll take it for granted next time and u can always expect late payments already.

I do agree on some of your valid points but have some sympathy lah . Not all are genius mah. Seen and knew some of them during poly , struggle so hard to juggle work and study at the same time.

wind30 said:
clap clap. I fully agree with you. Sometimes I think singaporeans are too naive. So many poly students work also can get good grades. He did not even graduate. Seriously is it that hard to just graduate??

Ultimately facts are facts. That guy takes a loan to STUDY and he did not EVEN graduate. Who can he blame? Everyone who defaults on loans HAS PROBLEMS. Just because that guy know how to write to Straits Times DOES NOT make him any special.

Just stir up bad publicity for the bank. If EVERYONE who defaults want special concensus... might as well close DBS. Even if special concensus are to be given, IMHO he does not deserve it. I am sure there are others who are more deserving, like sole breadwinner die/fall sick, etc. Things that ARE ACTS of GOD.

clap clap clap. What goes round , comes around.

wind30 said:

:thumbsup:
sound liek some kidz mi noe.. haha...

Status
Not open for further replies.