DBS... are these really the best they can do?

Status
Not open for further replies.
when banks with long history & solid reputation can go bust, i oso dun get it. how did they make peps buy rubbish repackaged in fancy names? :sweatsm:

if you are referring to the credit products, then it is because of greed and little to no regulation, greed on the part of the bank and the investors, and the regulators who are doing a very bad job of ensuring the well being of the casual investor. this is akin to the days of bucket shops, where unregulated speculation in commodities was not against any law. many people were cheated because of questionable practices that were tantramount to cheating. i won't go as far as to say people were cheated now cause there isn't any law that was broken. my personal opinion, selling a high risk product like a derivative to investors who do not posses a sophisticated understanding of how the financial markets really work is unethical, it is morally wrong, and all unethical and morally wrong deeds to me is akin to cheating.

"The greatest obstacle to discovery is not ignorance -- it is the illusion of knowledge."

rubbish quotes, anybody can say anything in the most general sense, word them in a way that sounds witty and make it look factual. my opinion is that quotes like these have a lot more entertainment value, adds oomph to discussions, are used to substantiate an argument that has already been derived and nothing more.

rubbish quotes, anybody can say anything in the most general sense, word them in a way that sounds witty and make it look factual. my opinion is that quotes like these have a lot more entertainment value, adds oomph to discussions, are used to substantiate an argument that has already been derived and nothing more.

...did you check your pm?

i wasn't referring to you, my dear

if you are referring to the credit products, then it is because of greed and little to no regulation, greed on the part of the bank and the investors, and the regulators who are doing a very bad job of ensuring the well being of the casual investor. this is akin to the days of bucket shops, where unregulated speculation in commodities was not against any law.

Unless, we been living in a cave and ignoring whatever happened to the world around us, it would be supremely unlikely, with all the news been reported, we would be unaware of such issue.

We do not to be a banker to know this.

many people were cheated because of questionable practices that were tantramount to cheating. i won't go as far as to say people were cheated now cause there isn't any law that was broken. my personal opinion, selling a high risk product like a derivative to investors who do not posses a sophisticated understanding of how the financial markets really work is unethical, it is morally wrong, and all unethical and morally wrong deeds to me is akin to cheating.

What you said is something I am agreeable.

But what can we do now? Fixing the known problem may prevent it from reoccurring. However, I doubt, with any regulations, we can prevent someone to be "creative". Fixing it now, won't bring much help to those who had been suffered by "questionable practices".

I think that almost all of you posted very childish remarks. :sticktong

The moderator should just close this pointless thread.

If you are working in a bank.......please enlighten us with your teaching........to stop us from sprouting nonsense......

Come come share share the bank inner most secrets.......I am looking at my Crystal Ball now......no sign yet......

peps with little knowledge of the inner workings of any industry that went horribly wrong tend to be cynical to a fault.

i do admit i know little about how banks operate + am cynical to a fault. but this thread got progress!!

:vhappy: :vhappy: :vhappy:

Unless, we been living in a cave and ignoring whatever happened to the world around us, it would be supremely unlikely, with all the news been reported, we would be unaware of such issue.

We do not to be a banker to know this.

Tell this to the person who said he/she did not know why.

What you said is something I am agreeable.

But what can we do now? Fixing the known problem may prevent it from reoccurring. However, I doubt, with any regulations, we can prevent someone to be "creative". Fixing it now, won't bring much help to those who had been suffered by "questionable practices".

Yes, it can't be fixed for ALL those people who have suffered financial losses, but it can be fixed for future investors. The solution does not come from DBS or any other bank, the MAS needs to step in.

If you are working in a bank.......please enlighten us with your teaching........to stop us from sprouting nonsense......

Come come share share the bank inner most secrets.......I am looking at my Crystal Ball now......no sign yet......

It has nothing to do with banks. The TS mentioned two events, retrenchment and raising capital. These events are not restricted to banks, it happens to all listed companies.

the TS never mentioned what he/she felt it was objectionable, just worded them in a way that made it sound as if DBS is doing a bad job. No reasons. After that came baseless remarks.

There is no need for obfuscate to enlighten or educate us. Most of the thing you need to know on this topic can be found in the web. Most of the rubbish that I read in kopitiam is because the people refuse to find out the fact for themselves. They prefer to spend time typing nonsense with others joining in the bandwagon.

First, fire people when business condition worsen.
Next, dilute the value of their shares and force investors to put in more money to reduce their losses.

Really no other options? :(
Degree in Business or Banking,,,does it say to do such things in such situations?

what does the theory advise and the trainers teach?

Last edited:
There is no need for obfuscate to enlighten or educate us. Most of the thing you need to know on this topic can be found in the web. Most of the rubbish that I read in kopitiam is because the people refuse to find out the fact for themselves. They prefer to spend time typing nonsense with others joining in the bandwagon.

how does 1 seperate fact from fiction?

What is there to explain? It's all DBS bashing with nothing to substantiate the reasons. All I read are baseless accusations.

There a few way to correct such spread of misinformation. Or you can simply ignore this thread totally since those need to know would have their appropriate sources. This is kopitiam, what else do you expect of the posts here?

Any information can be found in the net. But given the circumstances, official releases are at suspect at the moment. How else do we get information?

For the Illusion of knowledge, you come to the right place - Kopitiam . :bsmilie: :bsmilie:

lol lol lol

Any information can be found in the net. But given the circumstances, official releases are at suspect at the moment. How else do we get information?

citation of source might help, if one wants to make ludicrous statements or what anyone might find seemingly ludicrous..

the thing is, how many people here just spout things blindly, they do not even base it on any information on the net. just postulation in their own mind with a firm belief that they have mastered how and why the world works the way it does.

DBS mentioned in its press release that
organic growth remains a priority and the capital raising is not intended
for any merger and acquisition activity or extraordinary provisions.

Can anyone enlighten me on what does DBS mean by organic growth? what is organic growth?:dunno:

TIA

Can anyone enlighten me on what does DBS mean by organic growth? what is organic growth?:dunno:

TIA
here

Link

n finance, organic growth is the process of business expansion due to increased output, sales, or both, as opposed to mergers, acquisitions, or take-overs. Typically, the organic growth rate also excludes the impact of foreign exchange. Growth including foreign exchange, but excluding divestitures and acquisitions is often referred to as core growth.

TIA

In another word, to tell the world that it's still having growth despite the global market sendiments. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.