Daylight Long Exposure help ... :(

fatBozZ

Jun 5, 2010
Dear Bros / Sis,
For long exposure using 10 stops filter..
step 1) Meter the scene without filter
step 2) Meter same scene with ND filter
Step 3) Take Picture .....

Question : ---> Step 1) Should metering done with the brightest area or the darkest area ?

:dunno: <---- Newbie

Why do you need step 1?

Just spot meter for step 2 on the brightest spot to retain the highlights.

I use manual mode. Trial and error with time while keeping aperture constant.

Question : ---> Step 1) Should metering done with the brightest area or the darkest area ?
Please read up about the different metering modes (check your manual!). They have different approaches for different situations. Use the metering mode that suits your actual light conditions.

I was asked an almost identical question yesterday.

I have never really bothered calculating my exposures. Reason being in long exposures, the ambient light is prone to changes and that will throw your prior calculations off its course, I suggest you start experimenting "blindly" and see what you get. Its not that difficult. Sometimes, both under and over exposures will yield very different (interesting) results. As time goes by, you'll get to know how long to expose by judging the ambient lighting.

I use ASA 100 film and a D3.6 self make film filter, when meter reading without filter is = f22 1/30, I expose a few at f22 3-8min.

When you have the luxury of time to do long exposure, you should also be doing trial and error to get the best results. Usually what i do is to shoot with the "correct exposure" based on the metering. After which I would deliberately over and under expose to check out the different results. There are no hard and fast rule, the best way is to experiment.

To all Shifu ... Am i right to say that ...
* i can snap on 10 stops filter
* spot meter to the brightest point in the frame
* adjust the shutter speed until the metering meets " neutral " ( i will try to set aperture normally at f11 to obtain sharp back/fore ground )
* Sometimes under expose a little bit
* click and wait ?

Last edited:
I was asked an almost identical question yesterday.

I have never really bothered calculating my exposures. Reason being in long exposures, the ambient light is prone to changes and that will throw your prior calculations off its course, I suggest you start experimenting "blindly" and see what you get. Its not that difficult. Sometimes, both under and over exposures will yield very different (interesting) results. As time goes by, you'll get to know how long to expose by judging the ambient lighting.

i always calculate my exposures.

meter it without the nd filter, and then add 10 stops when using a nd110.

during period of exposure, if you see any ambient light changes, just add according to what you observe.

works fine for me, even during sunset timing, where the ambient light changes a lot. the addition and subtraction needs experience.

i don't meter with the nd110 on. it's often possible to go beyond 30 seconds, in which case, i doubt the bulb mode function will meter happily for you......

i always calculate my exposures.

meter it without the nd filter, and then add 10 stops when using a nd110.

during period of exposure, if you see any ambient light changes, just add according to what you observe.

works fine for me, even during sunset timing, where the ambient light changes a lot. the addition and subtraction needs experience.

i don't meter with the nd110 on. it's often possible to go beyond 30 seconds, in which case, i doubt the bulb mode function will meter happily for you......

Shifu...
This afternoon i tried your method ... the shuttle speed does'nt allow me to take smoky water leh .... i have to over expose then can ?? in the situation how /?

Shifu...
This afternoon i tried your method ... the shuttle speed does'nt allow me to take smoky water leh .... i have to over expose then can ?? in the situation how /?

define "smokey water".

please upload and post the photos, with exif intact, so we can dissect, i couldn't say for sure what is wrong. sometimes it is people asking too much out of the equipment.

also, please don't call me shifu, you can call me "goat", or "cute boy", but "shifu" is not a name i like. :sweat:

Shifu...

Shutter speed you mean? What was your shutter speed? Your aperture? What was the ambient light?

We cannot help you if you do not give us enough information.

define "smokey water".

please upload and post the photos, with exif intact, so we can dissect, i couldn't say for sure what is wrong. sometimes it is people asking too much out of the equipment.

also, please don't call me shifu, you can call me "goat", or "cute boy", but "shifu" is not a name i like. :sweat:

Goat i like one of your shot
http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/showthread.php?t=549276

May i know the shutter speed and aperture for that ?

For me I meter and take a shot without the filter, then add the number of stop after add on the filter.

Goat i like one of your shot
http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/showthread.php?t=549276

May i know the shutter speed and aperture for that ?

59 seconds

frankly, don't need 59 seconds to get that reflection, but the ambient light was very dark at that time.

as for reflection being present, is because the water is relatively still. most reservoirs are quite ok after sunset for this.

59 seconds

frankly, don't need 59 seconds to get that reflection, but the ambient light was very dark at that time.

as for reflection being present, is because the water is relatively still. most reservoirs are quite ok after sunset for this.

your aperture and shutter speed is set as such that your metering is " Neutral " at the brightest area without ND filter ,
then u put the filter then u manually slows down the shutter speed by 10 stops ?

Sorry newbie here

Last edited:
Why do you need step 1?

Just spot meter for step 2 on the brightest spot to retain the highlights.

I dont think I can see through anything when the 10 stop filter is on the lens...:dunno: