Day-Time Street Photography - Flash or No Flash?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm planning to go to the Geylang Serai Bazaar (Geylang Serai) and the Deepavali Bazaar (Serangoon Road opp. Mustafa Centre) respectively this week to take some street photos.

Is it really neccessary that I should use a speedlight?

I'm concerned about getting under-exposed photos if I don't use it. However, I'm also worried about drawing unneccessary attention from the crowds if I use it.

My gear: -
  1. Nikon D70s
  2. Nikkor AF 50mm f/1.8D or 18-70mm DX (Kit Lens)
  3. SB-600 speedlight with Stofen Omni-Bounce
Please advise. Thanks in advance.

depends, if the sun is behind your subject, there will be a shadow on their faces, u will need the flash to fill in for their face...

my view, bring the flash...u never know....and also to "freeze" the movements.

depends, if the sun is behind your subject, there will be a shadow on their faces, u will need the flash to fill in for their face...

my view, bring the flash...u never know....and also to "freeze" the movements.

not just for sun behind the subject, sometimes also can add contrast, but i dun think strangers will feel comfortable with u flashing them..

To use flash or not very much depends on the situation, use your descretion. I am sure it is not that difficult to figure whether or not people will be irritated by your flash photography.

If not using flash, maybe you can try spot metering on your subject in more tricky lighting situations. If lighting is low, bump up the ISO a little.

flash is always helpful
but if you subscribe to the cartier-besson school of street journalism... then dun bring.

Status
Not open for further replies.