Dawn At Bay

stalkerism

Jun 20, 2011
DSC_00895.JPG

1. in what area is critique to be sought?
Compositions, lightning, depth of field and so on.... Anyway, please kill me however you guys can... I am ready to take in more ideas. If possible, you guys can drop me a few tips on landscape photograpy technique that I need to put focus on. :) I am a beginner too.. still learning.
2. what one hopes to achieve with the piece of work?
Trying to grasp a good sea scape between the 2 land and a nice red sky at the bay
3. under what circumstance is the picture taken? (physical conditions/emotions)
Roughly about before sunrise
4. what the critique seeker personally thinks of the picture
I felt the land are a bit tilted and the piece of land seems a bit bigger. However, I like the looks of the floating net lying straight and the calmness of the water.

Hi stalkerism,

I like the sky in your photo. The blue and the clouds are quite nice.

Quite a few issues with it though.
1. Horizon tilted. Seems accidental, so you should try to correct it on your PC during post-processing. Most software can do this. What software are you using?
2. Resolution seems quite low. A quick check shows the file size is really small ( <30kB ). Probably image quality was reduced drastically.
3. The land on the left side is kinda dark and has little detail.
4. What nice red sky are you talking about?
5. Composition seems a bit 'not here not there'. I find it tough to figure out what your subject is.

Thanks for looking in, ZerocoolAstra.

The tilted was accidental I think. I could not remember much about it too and I was pretty sleepy that time. :)

As you mentioned that I need to do a little more editing, I am on linux and can you introduce me some application to do so? I am pretty new and still learning how to do PP as well. The red sky I am talking about is at the horizon where the first light just beginning to come in.

Composition seems a bit 'not here not there'. I find it tough to figure out what your subject is.

That I have to agree with you since you pointed me out. I think I need to find look at the rule of third again.

Really thanks for looking in. :)

you could level the horizon, and do a closer crop on the sky, getting rid of the black mass on the left side. the string of floating buoys act as subtle a leading lines, which is really nice;)

Quick and dirty 5min job with photoshop... horizontal, curves, blend and mask... but still couldn't get rid off the black mass on the left without enlarging the pic and losing quality. Still using CRT so most probably diff from what you gonna see on LCD. Might be worse... :sweat:

Thanks for looking in, ZerocoolAstra.

The tilted was accidental I think. I could not remember much about it too and I was pretty sleepy that time. :)

As you mentioned that I need to do a little more editing, I am on linux and can you introduce me some application to do so? I am pretty new and still learning how to do PP as well. The red sky I am talking about is at the horizon where the first light just beginning to come in.

That I have to agree with you since you pointed me out. I think I need to find look at the rule of third again.

Really thanks for looking in. :)

1) You can try to download and install GIMP. It's sorta like the freeware version of Photoshop, though of course not with all the features. It's got sufficient tools for the hobbyist, I feel. Things like layers, masks, etc are all there. They do have a version for linux I think. This link should get you started.

2) Try to open an account with a photo-hosting site such as Flickr, Photobucket, etc. Upload a photo of reasonable size and quality (I think about 800 pixels on the long side, and about 500-700kB size should be all right) and then link it to your post in the same way that you did for this thread.

Quick and dirty 5min job with photoshop... horizontal, curves, blend and mask... but still couldn't get rid off the black mass on the left without enlarging the pic and losing quality. Still using CRT so most probably diff from what you gonna see on LCD. Might be worse... :sweat:

I don't know if a 'pano crop' works here. Probably you felt that the top and bottom were a bit of dead space?
I liked the sense of depth in the photo, though admittedly the composition didn't really add to this :)
However cropping it like this makes it very flat, and also makes the dark land mass on the left even more prominent...

hehe well that's just what I think :)

I don't know if a 'pano crop' works here. Probably you felt that the top and bottom were a bit of dead space?
I liked the sense of depth in the photo, though admittedly the composition didn't really add to this :)
However cropping it like this makes it very flat, and also makes the dark land mass on the left even more prominent...

hehe well that's just what I think :)

I agree but the problem is that the pic supplied is so low res/small that getting rid of the black mass leaves nothing very much left. I was trying to stay true to the thread title, so by cropping out the surrounding space in pano format would hopefully bring emphasis to the colorful center part where the dawn is. Ideally, I think this should work better on the original pic as there's more room for the eye to roam in instead of the XL-size thumbnail we are now left with.
:)

1. Recommend a Spirit level for these types of shots.
2. Nice colors - But too cool for my taste.. you can see the Coolness from the light on the boat... May be a touch more to the right on WB settings? Not entirely sure if its only me though

Keep shooting and sharing the nature's beauty :)