David Gan gives his take on cheap hair salons

Was this what you were having? :bsmilie:

don't play play, they are damn good in their skills! The end result:
0.jpg

redstone said:
What you pay is what you get. Simple as this. If you think a person's services is justifiable at his price, by all means go ahead.

Sometimes, you pay more unnecessarily for what you are getting.

Again, I always ask ppl about doing a blind test.

2 similar persons, one cut $10 haircut and one cut $100 hair cut. Can any one tell the difference?

I can tell, 9 out 10 can't tell the difference

donut88 said:
Sometimes, you pay more unnecessarily for what you are getting.

Again, I always ask ppl about doing a blind test.

2 similar persons, one cut $10 haircut and one cut $100 hair cut. Can any one tell the difference?

I believe for most of his clientele it is no longer just about the output itself but rather also the intangible personal satisfaction derived from letting him grace the scalp as well. Which is not wrong either.

Some years back, I once got my hair trimmed by my wife's Kimage stylist for more than 50 bucks. No need double blind study I can tell you after that I derive more satisfaction going back to my 5 dollar neighbourhood barber cut who throws in a razor shave of the side burns. That is price sensitivity.

Ryan

donut88 said:

To be fair, yes you can tell the difference.

I do not think any stylist will charge $10 if their skill warrant $100.

In business simple equation prevail really...

Value < Price - You are not getting much business.

The issue might be how a value is perceived. It is not always the end product, but also the experience of it.

Just like photography... some just need some photos taken (quality not important and service not important), some want nice photos taken (quality is important but service is somewhat not so important), some prefer to have a wonderful experience while getting the very nice images (quality and service is important)... so depends on your needs and wants, you simply will use whatever...

Those offer service higher then the value, often find themselves always looking for jobs. Cheap doesn't equal to "Value" either.

What David says is not without merit... however, if you look at it from broader perspective... I think Groupon photography offers are simply that, degrading to the value of the real photography... to the photographer, it won't give you satisfaction... may give you money though.

At the end of the day, it is about choices lar... which end of scale you want to be.

Hart

some like coffee shop and hawker chicken rice, some like to eat chicken rice in hotel, some even fly overseas to eat chicken rice.......

you choose.

A haircut is a hair cut. Why go for over-priced hair cut?

Just like, a phone is just a phone. You use a phone to make a phone call, regardless of whether it is solid gold or black plastic.
shah of iran's solid gold phone
3511124122_a16179aceb_z.jpg

black plastic phone
il_570xN.282146740.jpg

I am sure David works very hard to reach what he has achieved. I am also very sure he has experienced the tough times where he goes for 50 cents hair cut himself. There will be always demand for the 'super high class' saloon and the cheapest you can find type. They both offer to different groups of people.

What we would like to see is saloon offering super cheap hair cut and then charge for shampoo and other services that customers do not need. They must display clearly upfront any additional charges and obtain customer's agreement before proceeding. Before this gets urgly, the authorities must enforce this rules.

Just like, a phone is just a phone. You use a phone to make a phone call, regardless of whether it is solid gold or black plastic.

tap_golden_mod.jpg

Sometimes a golden tap can give you water with positive energy

pachero said:
To be fair, yes you can tell the difference.

I do not think any stylist will charge $10 if their skill warrant $100.

Yeah. How many can tell?

ricohflex said:
A haircut is a hair cut. Why go for over-priced hair cut?

black plastic phone

At the end of day, a premium over priced hair cut is a WANT, it's not a NEED.

When times become hard, people are in short of $, they will go to cheaper haircut.

A poor person will never say "I NEED David Gan's hair cut."

donut88 said:
Yeah. How many can tell?

For guys haircut, the difference may be minimal. But 95% of David's customers are female. There are too many "patterns" for female hairstyle. What do you think the $10 hairstylist will think if a lady walk in and says "I want Vidal Sassoon style"? :)

Another thing, try telling your girlfriend or wife to go to $10 saloon, see what they say :p

It is very very hard to justify luxury prices to people who cannot afford or don't believe in it.

If you ask a luxury service provider or luxury product seller, why is it so expensive? their reply would usually be, 'excuse me?' Which really means 'well this is the price, if you can't see the value, why are we even talking?'

For guys haircut, the difference may be minimal. But 95% of David's customers are female. There are too many "patterns" for female hairstyle. What do you think the $10 hairstylist will think if a lady walk in and says "I want Vidal Sassoon style"? :)

Another thing, try telling your girlfriend or wife to go to $10 saloon, see what they say :p

my hair cut's always $35. i go for the service. i used to go to a $10 place, but the auntie there always cuts my hair in the same style no matter what i told her i wanted.

so in the end, the extra $25 makes the difference. and the staff are more open and friendlier and have more expertise in recommending hairstyles.

also, if you notice, more and more guys are cutting fancy hairstyles too. so it justifies the cost to a certain extent. :bsmilie:

my hair cut's always $35. i go for the service. i used to go to a $10 place, but the auntie there always cuts my hair in the same style no matter what i told her i wanted.

so in the end, the extra $25 makes the difference. and the staff are more open and friendlier and have more expertise in recommending hairstyles.

also, if you notice, more and more guys are cutting fancy hairstyles too. so it justifies the cost to a certain extent. :bsmilie:

So you have this type of fancy hairstyle? :bsmilie:

Chinese_8a0de3_304623.gif