Daugther Smile

Jacobs

Sep 7, 2005
Somewhere @ East Area
5273379887_d4ea8bf5c5_z.jpg

1. In what area is critique to be sought?
Any critique about composition, sharpness or exposure would be greatly appreciated.

2. what one hopes to achieve with the piece of work?
I would wish for the viewer to feel the genuine expression of her lovely smile and happiness.

3. Under what circumstance is the picture taken? (physical conditions/emotions)
This was a photo taken during a shopping walk at Vivocity skypark.

4. What the critique seeker personally thinks of the picture.
Her smile was the bonus for me. She was frightened by the large crowd but warmed up to me as I make funny faces at her.

Valuable criticism and comments are mostly welcome, thanks

TS, very lovely and adorable girl you have. Her smile in this picture is sweet and innocent, indeed is a bonus. :vhappy:
IMO, the picture is sharp and good dof.

pose is a little boring, but can't expect too much at a crowded place,
great use of colors, it make your subject stands out.

Bro Jacobs,
So you are into portraiture now - good shot.:thumbsup:
That's really your daughter? And my wife commented that you must be a bachelor to have
so much time to be gainfully employed, organize outings and shoot a lot of photos!:bigeyes::bigeyes:
Cheers.
LEW

half body better?
ie closer shot, since u want to capture her smile as per title.

lovely daughter u got there :)

Last edited:
pose is a little boring, but can't expect too much at a crowded place,
great use of colors, it make your subject stands out.

Thank you bro Benjamin.
Will note to capture from different angle instead at the death middle.

Bro Jacobs,
So you are into portraiture now - good shot.:thumbsup:
That's really your daughter? And my wife commented that you must be a bachelor to have
so much time to be gainfully employed, organize outings and shoot a lot of photos!:bigeyes::bigeyes:
Cheers.
LEW

Thank you LEW for the compliment. :)

So your new sigma is for portrait :D. I join the crowd to chime in too.

IMHO this is overall a good photo. A few things can give the photo some punch such as:

1. crop out the background more since it doesn't contribute much to the photo. If not can consider adding vignette
2. get closer / crop tighter for the face if you want to focus on the smile. Center is fine i think. Like this

5276675099_dd53e60849_d.jpg

Last edited:
So your new sigma is for portrait :D. I join the crowd to chime in too.

IMHO this is overall a good photo. A few things can give the photo some punch such as:

1. crop out the background more since it doesn't contribute much to the photo. If not can consider adding vignette
2. get closer / crop tighter for the face if you want to focus on the smile. Center is fine i think.

Thanks bro Steve for drop-by provide your comments.

How about this:
5276270917_d2e103c032_z.jpg

Thanks bro Steve for drop-by provide your comments.

How about this:

this may be my personal POV but I like this version better :). Further enhancements could be brightening her face and eyes / darken the background... Well that's some tedious work. May not worth it if you don't have the time though.

this may be my personal POV but I like this version better :). Further enhancements could be brightening her face and eyes / darken the background... Well that's some tedious work. May not worth it if you don't have the time though.

Even though have time but lack of PP knowledge, the picture end-up also not good as expected.

So prefer as simple as possible..:)

I do feel that the cropped image looks a lot better

Even though have time but lack of PP knowledge, the picture end-up also not good as expected.

So prefer as simple as possible..:)

Understand. Some prefer not to PP. Not to worry. I believe experimenting with angles, lighting, poses and capturing emotion/mood already get the job done 90% already. Further PP sometimes not necessary.

Last edited:
Bro I like the original version more. The stool the cute shoes all gives this portrait a more complete feel, more context. Going in closer is nice also but it becomes a different kind of portrait. But if I am to move in closer, I will do head and shoulders only.