Date with the Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX85

hjbyeo

May 5, 2006
East
An introduction

I read somewhere that “People say that a time machine can’t be invented, but they’ve already invented a device that can stop time, cameras are the world’s first time machines.”

Since 2006, I have to say I have quite a bit of exploration with a few of these instruments - to freeze the moments in time that I experienced and value, to lock away memories over time I will be able revisit again, reminiscing the moment in time of how I created the image.

One thing I have always been looking out for was how to shrink the “time-machine”, lessening the load in my camera bag.

That’s how my interest in m43s came about. In 2009/2010, I was introduced to mirrorless m43s cameras. Shrinking the package just meant that I am more ready to carry this time-recording-instrument around with me all the time. A camera that you have with you is much more useful than the camera in the dry cabinet. There’s a catch though … at that time, I remembered not going beyond ISO 1600 …

Fast forward 2016, Panasonic launches the spanking new GX85.

Isn't this cool!

The Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX85, offering the majority of the features that its predecessors has, but more!

- an integrated EVF at 2.75 million dots (no longer those detachable EVF) unlike the GX1 or the GXR that I had.

- a tilting 3” touchscreen display which is really important for those situations where you just can’t use the EVF. This is increasingly becoming a must-have and what I love about mirrorless cameras. I actually prefer this over the articulated screens. I don’t take selfies (just me, don’t flame me!)

- 16mp Live MOS sensor which features in-body 5-axis Dual I.S system that combines in lens O.I.S (optical image stabiliser and B.I.S (Body Image stabilisers) …A first for Panasonic m43s cameras. In my opinion, a MUST-have!

- A spanking new electromagnetic driven shutter mechanism. The only thing I can tell is how quiet the shutter is. Particularly useful in the places where you don’t have to inform everyone that you are taking pictures.

- Excellent focusing speed. Something I really like about Panasonic m43s cameras. They are usually fast and accurate enough for me.

They also some very interesting features like the following …

- Supports Wi-Fi. How important is this! No need for a shutter release, and I could download my images into my phone, edit it, and upload onto Facebook, Instagram, Flickr etc.

- Battery charging over USB which just makes it so convenient. I had times in the past that I forgotten about carrying an extra battery and that the current battery is almost empty before the evening shoot. All I had to do was charge it with the ubiquitous micro USB cables we almost always carry with us.

Many more that I’ll discuss in the review, including ...

AF Functions like Face/Eye Detection AF
4K photo and Post Focus and, of course 4K video capture.

So please stay tune ... and if there's anything you are interested to find, please drop me a note, and if I can I will include in the review.

One of the interesting thing about the GX85 was the lack of an optical low-pass filter. There seems to be an ongoing trend by camera makers out there to make this a norm, supposedly yield better per-pixel detail.

A pano shot with the Panasonic kit lens at 24mm.

I am actually quite surprised by the kit lens. I am not sure if this is something that the supposedly lack of a AA filter does, but it seems to really improve the overall ability to resolve a little better from a m43s camera, and this was done in JPG.

And as with most Panasonic cameras, I am very happy to say the colors re-production is pretty accurate from my experience as well handling the camera. This is very close to what you see is what you get.

Last edited:
1 of the interesting thing I noticed is that when you start using the camera, and working through the files it produces, it takes quite a bit of punishing too (editing). There's seems to have a lot more headroom for you to do your edits.

I have added quite a bit of filters through the NIX plugins (Nik software color efex pro) just to see how much effort it takes to "break" the file, and I have to say I am very impressed with the results.

Taken with the Kit lens. The mirror effect isn't something photo-shopped. Just lucky with the weather, and our dear Merlion not barfing ...

Last edited:
In my relatively little time I had with the camera, I was able to "T-loan" a 7-14mm Panasonic Ultra wide angle lens from moderator WongLP. The photosphereSG adapter for the lens was included in the loan as the lens cap was missing, and this adapter helped to bridge that "gap".

It's a blessing in disguise as I was able to use filters than with this lens.

But this wasn't my intended message in this post.

I wanted to showcase that the 7-14 seems a lot more flare resistant somehow with this new camera.

GX85 + Panasonic 7-14mm + PSG adapter with ND0.9

Last edited:
Bernard,

Good work on the review of this camera. Especially like the pano . Really impressed with the image quality :thumbsup:

Nice shots bro. Keep it coming! I share the same thoughts on GX85's better overall sharpness compared to predecessor GX7.

Last edited:
Bernard,

Good work on the review of this camera. Especially like the pano . Really impressed with the image quality :thumbsup:

I am impressed too ... esp. after my forays with A7RII and Pentax K1. This is actually not bad at all.

Nice shots bro. Keep it coming! I share the same thoughts on GX85's better overall sharpness compared to predecessor GX7.

Thanks for your lens as well! Needed that for that shot.

Okay, onto the next thing and that's strobing with this camera. Was working with Matthew (aka Spidey from CS), and intending to use his wireless trigger but somehow it didn't work. So we resorted to using the onboard flash one to help trigger the off-shoe slave flash that's fitted with a Magmod flash modifier with color gels. Not a lot of configuration to work with as well, and a very amateurish attempt on Strobing compared to his own efforts ...

This is done with the GX85 kit lens.

GX85 + Kit Lens + Off-shoe flash fitted with Magmod flash modifiers

Last edited:
Morning walkabouts will never be the same again with a smallish camera. Almost incognito. No-one really cares what you do, presumably, thinking you are just another 1 of those tourists.

GX85 + 12-32 Kit lens

This one is (quite obviously) already cropped after the LR's lens correction (perspective correction).