DAT video file...Repair.. Any ideas??

oddteen

Jul 8, 2013
Singapore
Hello Guys.
Okay I did a wedding videography using my canon 650d recently and one of the file was saved as a DAT file (only one out of 137 file) and to make it worse it the groom’s speech :angry:..

I tried to converting it using video converters but they couldn't even read the file. Convinced that my file may be corrupted I downloaded free file repair soft wares .. Most didn't work until I tried REMO MOV repair, it worked perfectly BUT in order to save the file I need to buy the software for $90+..

Anyone knows what else I can do; I dun wanna pay so much, I am already doing the wedding shot for free for a friend.

Hello Guys.
Okay I did a wedding videography using my canon 650d recently and one of the file was saved as a DAT file (only one out of 137 file) and to make it worse it the groom’s speech :angry:..

I tried to converting it using video converters but they couldn't even read the file. Convinced that my file may be corrupted I downloaded free file repair soft wares .. Most didn't work until I tried REMO MOV repair, it worked perfectly BUT in order to save the file I need to buy the software for $90+..

Anyone knows what else I can do; I dun wanna pay so much, I am already doing the wedding shot for free for a friend.

You are very lucky you can still see the footage in the DAT file. DAT is a dump of the data recorded, something must have happened, run out of battery, or you opened the battery compartment, run out of memory space, so the MOV was not able to be written in properly. In many situations you cannot even see the footage on a DAT file. So count your lucky stars.

$90+ is already very cheap for the software that can recover the footage. Other alternatives will to be look for folks who provide recovery and corrupt file repair services. They charge a lot more than $90+. The cheapest online I know of charges USD $10 per minute of footage recovered.

That is why it is never a good idea to do wedding shoots for free. Not only are you spending time to do it FOC, you have to be responsible when things like this happens. My best advice for you is to treat the $90+ as a red packet to the couple. Cough up the money get the software and recover the footage. Or you can tell your friend that part of the footage is corrupt, and hope he understands. You can tell him you did it for free anyway, so cannot expect much.

Good luck.

Last edited:
just pay for it lar...............

let this be a lesson, shoot for free does not be there is no cost to the photographers, and does not mean they can skip some responsibility.

Use freeware Daum Pot Player (depending on where you download it from, be careful when you install to decline options to add stuff to your PC).
To be safe, choose the portable version.

Play the broken video in Daum Pot Player.

While it is playing, right click on the screen.

A menu will pop up.

Video
.........Capture
.........................Video Capture.

Choose your output folder.
Type a Prefix to the video name, if you wish.
Choose your output video codec and audio codec.
Click the button [Start] to capture your video.