Darkroom Course

amritsg

Dec 10, 2009
Hi all,

I know this question has been asked several times, but some of those responses were quite awhile back. I apologise if there was a recent answer, I'd be happy to be linked to it.

I'm actually ORD-ing soon and have some time before uni. I have been shooting b+w for awhile now and do develop my own photos but I wanted to try printing them as well. So I was wondering if anyone could recommend to me a good course on darkroom techniques.

I have found the SAFRA and NAFA courses so far. It seems like the NAFA courses are less frequent though. Does any have any opinions on these two courses?

Thanks for your help!

Last edited:
again you can check out SAFRA Photoblub course : http://safraphotoclub.com/js3/index.php/13-photocourse/11-mono
Just join SAFRA and SAFRA Photo Club membership and you will have access to the darkroom facilities after the course. Chemicals are provided but paper on yr own.

Analog Film Lab Darkroom : http://www.analogfilmlab.com/darkroom/ "For the un-initiated, we also provide half-day familiarization sessions."

Safra's next darkroom course is starting in Feb

I would said most darkroom courses are targeted at the beginners. They are most suitable for those very new to film developing and photo printing. At the end of the course, a student should be able to mix his own chemicals and do his own printing when left alone. You will be able to operate the enlarger on your own. And since each lesson is maybe about 2 hrs long, much of the time is focused on the technicalities.

To make full use of the course, a student has to do as much printing as he can and seek advise from the trainer after each print. Be prepared to do test strip after test strip and print after print for the same photo. It is not uncommon to try up to 6 to 8 prints to get a satisfactorily print. Some students gave up easily and decide they have enough after 2 test strips ... It is definitely time consuming. Is it time wasting? Certainly not as you should learn something with every test strip and print. Is it really all science? Not really. Even with a densitometer, it only help you to make decisions. At least for myself, the more I print, the better I see the prints and the more efficient I become.

Thanks for all the replies.

Having considered the both of them and all your comments, I'm probably gonna sign up for the SAFRA course. I'm not too interested in the idea of receiving a certificate or anything like that but instead more interested in learning the skills. I went to check their course schedule as well and it suited me in terms of what I wanted to learn. It focuses a lot more on the technical aspects of black and white processing or at least that's what the schedule says. I think the next course is starting on the 11th of Feb.

Hopefully, I'll be able to showcase some prints here soon enough!