Dark Patch on Photo

cjtks

Apr 9, 2011
fivetan.wordpress.com
Folks
I set up a speed light with softbox 45 deg to subject hoping for a low-key shot. My Nikon D5100 setting was, F5.6, ISO 100, no auto ISO & no Active D-lighting. However, there was a dark patch (highlighted in red) at the bottom of the photo ! What is wrong ?
Regards & thanks.
:think:
1.jpg

What is your shutter speed? Looks like the shutter speed is too fast and your flash sync speed can't catch up.

What is your shutter speed? Looks like the shutter speed is too fast and your flash sync speed can't catch up.
I m a newbie in studio set up so is trying and error ! I thought cam speed isn't impt as I'm using speedlight on tripod ? My cam speed is 1/250. How to rectify ?
Regards & thanks.

I m a newbie in studio set up so is trying and error ! I thought cam speed isn't impt as I'm using speedlight on tripod ? My cam speed is 1/250. How to rectify ?
Regards & thanks.

depending on cam..

max flash sync can be 1/160 1/200 1/250..

check the manual

cjtks said:
Regards & thanks.

Of course it's important, if the shutter speed is too fast, the flash can't catch up. The way to rectify is to shoot at slower shutter speeds. Try 1/125, you shouldn't have this problem.

How did you trigger your off-shoe flash?

BTW, D5100 flash sync speed is 1/200s and you are shooting faster than it at 1/250s.

Last edited:
Of course it's important, if the shutter speed is too fast, the flash can't catch up. The way to rectify is to shoot at slower shutter speeds. Try 1/125, you shouldn't have this problem.
Roger tat, will try again tmr ! BTW, is there a standard shutter speed for studio set up ? Or I simply try and error ? Regards & thanks.

cjtks said:
Roger tat, will try again tmr ! BTW, is there a standard shutter speed for studio set up ? Or I simply try and error ? Regards & thanks.

cjtks said:
My speedlight was mount on tripod with the receiver and the transmitter was on my cam.

Depends on what you are trying to achieve. There's no hard and fast rule but try to stay within the sync speed.

I think bro GRbenji is asking which type of trigger you are using. Some triggers support high speed sync

Depends on what you are trying to achieve. There's no hard and fast rule but try to stay within the sync speed.

I think bro GRbenji is asking which type of trigger you are using. Some triggers support high speed sync
Guess what I need to do is to shoot again with lower speed and see the result myself.
I only know the one I used are those economical type ($40+ with trigger & receiver). I borrowed from my friend and really dun knw much ! OMG ! :dunno:

cjtks said:
Guess what I need to do is to shoot again with lower speed and see the result myself.
I only know the one I used are those economical type ($40+ with trigger & receiver). I borrowed from my friend and really dun knw much ! OMG ! :dunno:

I guess those are PT-04s, they don't support high speed sync.

Thanks to all ! :) Problem solved ! Indeed I shd not set too fast speed for my cam. :D