Dark creepy corridor

Status
Not open for further replies.

redstone

Corridor
og1.jpg

i think converting the photograph to b/w will bring out more of the creepiness and mood...
the photograph also looks like a hurried shot, perhaps more time could be given to compose the shot.

walk around, climb, squat and look for the best angles, before pressing the shutter. :think:

i think its at sentosa.

i would suggest to try to
1. black and white
2. not titled
3. more contrast

Black and white would convey the 'mood' better. The colour version i directly looking to the nicely green plant which is not creepy or dark at all. It suggest 'life' which i believe contradictive to the title.
The titled effect here feels 'salah'. Perhaps either you make it very distorted to get the creepy feel or just make it normal.
More contrast will bring the darkness and creepy-ness I believe. And also the shadow can cover unneccesary item and bring out the best feature.

AngelZhou said:
i think its at sentosa.

i would suggest to try to
1. black and white
2. not titled
3. more contrast

Black and white would convey the 'mood' better. The colour version i directly looking to the nicely green plant which is not creepy or dark at all. It suggest 'life' which i believe contradictive to the title.
The titled effect here feels 'salah'. Perhaps either you make it very distorted to get the creepy feel or just make it normal.
More contrast will bring the darkness and creepy-ness I believe. And also the shadow can cover unneccesary item and bring out the best feature.

I think redstone mentioned somewhere (in his APAD perhaps) that this place is in JB. Honestly, I thought restone's other shot is much better than this. Didn't know why he chose this shot to be critiqued.

Anyway, I concur to your point that the green is just too out of place. I have been bothered by that for a very long time, even more than the slight tilt that dAoNi have mentioned. I don't agree though on changing it into black and white. Rather, I would have either switch it to a duotone (sepia) or do selective desaturation (especially green) to retain the original tones of the imaghe. Why? Well, feel aside (I love B&W FYI), black and white will dramatically reduce some of the details that's seen on the scene, which make it all the more lovely. Just imagine some the darker tones being translated into black and white. Will the details from those parts still retain? Will it have as much impact as in this case?

Of course, if redstone wants a "sinister" look of the place, perhaps following your advice would be perfect. However, if he wanted to portray an old place perhaps with the warmth of antiquity, then perhaps he should look for alternative solution.

But yar... the green outside the window have to go.

This is at JB. I'm going to take a small group there in March.

Perhaps I should change the title, make it seems 'there's hope at the end' feel. :think:

Thanks Desmond and Angel for the comments! :D

as you said, Desmond ( is that your name? I mean.. The_Cheat? )

If redstone want to show an antique old corridor, sephia tone will be wiser choice and i kind of agree wif you. Keeping the detail ( as most antique really apears from the detail I guess? correct me if i'm wrong ) would be a good option too.
However if want to show dark and creepy feel, i guess contrasting black and white with some detail being covered will be what i prefered.

Once again, it's up to individual preference and style as well as what one want to achieve.

AngelZhou said:
as you said, Desmond ( is that your name? I mean.. The_Cheat? )

If redstone want to show an antique old corridor, sephia tone will be wiser choice and i kind of agree wif you. Keeping the detail ( as most antique really apears from the detail I guess? correct me if i'm wrong ) would be a good option too.
However if want to show dark and creepy feel, i guess contrasting black and white with some detail being covered will be what i prefered.

Once again, it's up to individual preference and style as well as what one want to achieve.

<OT Mode: On>
Yippee! I have a new name! :D
<OT Mode: Off>

redstone: yar. I do prefer the second picture that you'd posted... however, I guess the original picture must have something you really like in order to ask for critique here. So, I guess, to each his own then.
Anyway, if you wish to use the same picture to convey the theme of "hope at the end", you may be facing a rather difficult task. I have absolutely no idea how you could change a mostly static picture, into one which will make you (or your eyes) travel down one path to the "hope" part. Well, do try though to surprise me. :D

angelzhou: it's the cracks and crevice that reveal the truth and details of aging! Well, that's what conventionally agreed, at least.

I like the new one better =)

when i think about it again, to show hope at the end, what do you think if you use light to show hope? Rather than the fresh green hue of the leaf, how about light coming through the leaf and add hope. The end of the dark creepy corridor?

But then again, will light actually come nicely from that particular window in particular time?

This picture somehow reminds me of the "Hounted House" I went with few classmates during secondary school. They have this big hounted house ( right now they broke it down already T_T ) and we all show how daring we are and go there XD Funny thing is all of us actually very afraid but dun dare to say. We end up eating candy, listening to MP3, and do all sort of funny stuff just to clam ourselves.
Something about this picture give me a bit of hint of that particular corridor we when through. Dark and creepy - eventhough during mid day.

Thanks!

I'm not afraid of abandoned houses...

Provided during day la. :bsmilie: :embrass:

The shot was taken in late morning... If early morning or evening might look better. :sweat:

Hmmm.. your abandoned building in question, is it in Singapore??

nope, it's not. it's at another country =)
somehow it has this eerie feel when i go there. Perhaps because i also aware the story behind the building. Just that one rainy day, since it's so old n abandon, the roof just broke down and they decided to just destroy it and make a brand new house. ( now that wif all the 'story' - who want to stay there? XD )

going to supposedly 'haunted' places are fine ... except when you go with people who can 'see' and that really freaks you out psychologically :sweat:

redstone said:
Not all abandoned places are 'haunted'.... :nono: :bsmilie: ;p

yup, true true!

then again...u so sure?

haha kidding~

Status
Not open for further replies.