Dark corners on photographs

Status
Not open for further replies.

bighead

Mar 26, 2006
Hey guys, I am having a problem. I am using a tokina 12-24 with the tokina CPL. At 12mm, I am seeing dark corners. Is it because of the CPL being too thick, or is it becoz the 12mm is just too wide ?

Thxs.

though i maybe new to photography, i say it may be due to vignetting.

though i maybe new to photography, i say it may be due to vignetting.

It.. Is vigenetting. The question is... Why. not What.

For bighead, have you tired without the CPL? Do you still get the dark corners?

If you die die must have the CPL on, one easy way to "remove" the vignetting.

Step back, zoom in a little.

Hey guys, I am having a problem. I am using a tokina 12-24 with the tokina CPL. At 12mm, I am seeing dark corners. Is it because of the CPL being too thick, or is it becoz the 12mm is just too wide ?

It's vignetting, most likely emphasized by the CPL. A lot of wide angle lenses produce some vignetting to a different degree, most prominently with aperture being wide open. If you read lens reviews you'll see it in the test details.
Vignetting usually becomes less obvious if you stop down the aperture a bit. At f/5.6 and smaller it should not be an issue anymore.

this is called vignetting.

stop down. if it doesn't work, try a slim CPL, if it still doesn't work, don't use the CPL

To TS,

Did you stack the CPL over an existing UV filter? Try using just the CPL without the UV if you have one.

If the CPL alone is still too thick and creates vignetting, then try using a larger CPL with a step up ring. Step up rings tend to be slimmer and using a CPL that is larger will help to reduce vignetting. More expensive though.

Status
Not open for further replies.