Dark corners around picture

GraYpZ

Jul 4, 2009
Hi there!
I have a Tokina 11-16mm f/2.8 AT-X. And sometimes when i take pictures, the corners are black. Anyone have any idea what this is called and what are the conditions required to replicate this effect?

Vignetting. Do a search and you will understand.

There are several types of vignetting as well.
Are you shooting at a wide open aperture? is there an additional filter fixed onto the lens ?

ryan

Tokina 11-16 vignetting ( dark area at corners ) is quitely well controlled for such a ultrawide angle http://www.photozone.de/canon-eos/379-tokina_1116_28_canon?start=1 But if you use thick filter ( particularly polarizer ) it could persist even after u stop down to small aperture.
Good news is you can easily fix it in post-processing if it is not too severe. :)

Tokina 11-16 vignetting ( dark area at corners ) is quitely well controlled for such a ultrawide angle http://www.photozone.de/canon-eos/379-tokina_1116_28_canon?start=1 But if you use thick filter ( particularly polarizer ) it could persist even after u stop down to small aperture.
Good news is you can easily fix it in post-processing if it is not too severe. :)

Polarizer are not suitable for ultrawide angle lens; you'll get uneven polarization.

Polarizer are not suitable for ultrawide angle lens; you'll get uneven polarization.
Yeah.. there is a huge debate on the web about usefulness of polarizer on UWA lenses.. My impression is "NO" for sky color saturation, at least for the widest end, but to reduce reflection n see through water or glass, "YES" :)

Yeah.. there is a huge debate on the web about usefulness of polarizer on UWA lenses.. My impression is "NO" for sky color saturation, at least for the widest end, but to reduce reflection n see through water or glass, "YES" :)

Uneven polarization will also happen in the water... if there is a huge body of water, some parts of the water will be less reflective than others.

So I will say NO to cutting reflections also.