Dark Cast

Status
Not open for further replies.

boogienight

Jan 10, 2008
Eastern SG
Was stuck under the supreme court cos of the rain yesterday. and the clouds were kinda dark and dramatic. so I tried capturing the clouds using the lamp post and the tree to illustrate darkness. Not sure if i've really achieve this... but hope i could receive several c&c for this picture =] harsher the better!

2352926185_3c5c8d2431.jpg

the purple swelling clouds are pretty dramatic...
just a questioning thought, why lamp-post and tree? any relation to suggest between them?
Or perhaps one subject and clouds would be enough.

Thanks for the feedback!

Yea no relation what so ever, i didnt have much of a choice to capture jus one subject. cos of the rain.. so could only shoot at one angle cos there were a lot of other pple under the shelter... zz heh

=]

these two silhouettes do not work, i can see a lamppost and tree.. and then?

for something that is so popular you'd be surprised at how often silhouette photography fails in terms of composition and linkage of any idea - it is often done for the sake of doing it, and if you'd pardon me, it seems this way here.

the shade of the clouds is.. weird. surreality is great, but this shade of clouds, i have yet to see, it is very disturbing and disorientating, if you want a "dark" feel there are much superior tones to select, dirty green is one, so is dark blue.. dark purple/maroon is just plain.. weird. that 's the only word i could think of. purpllish tones usually work in a "serene setting", not drama.. in lighter tones.

i suppose this was taken in the afternoon after 3pm- the glow and sudden blowing out of highlights tell me so. if you wish to capture the sky, try to take note of exposing for the highlights, if you wish to do silhouette photography :)

Thanks for the feedback!

Yea no relation what so ever, i didnt have much of a choice to capture jus one subject. cos of the rain.. so could only shoot at one angle cos there were a lot of other pple under the shelter... zz heh

=]

I think that cropping out which ever subject you don't want is the solution. =)

i wud have preferred either the lamp post or the tree:think: both vertical subjects are ruining the pic.......even the lamp on the lamp post is facing the wrong side:nono:this pic is not doing anything for me;) i am sure now:think:give us another pic pl

If you want to capture silhouette, then you will have be aware of the shapes/forms, visual flow, and its relation with the lighted area. it is more difficult becos you have chose to capture a visually simpler subject. As such, viewers are going to pay more attention to the subtler/elementary visual cues.

so in this picture, is the shape of the lamp post and tree interesting? is their outline beautiful? does these shapes have any connection to the background or with each other? are they redundant, or are they obstructing? can the sihouettes gives the picture a different level of perception by their lack of features?

its very unlike normal photo where the crowd of visual informatiton can mask the negative aspects by overloading the viewer. you have to think minimalist.

So your photo is just like an accidental snapshot of a mundane everyday scene. If you have no choice to correct your capture in that situation, then just give up that picture or risk standing in the rain or braving the crowd. Dont make an excuse later, especially when you are also aware of the problem.

the simpler it is, the harder it is.

It is not always oppertune to take a shot such as you would like of a night sky.

I am constantly aware of this where I am (beautiful sunset but the buildings are in the way)

With such thought in mind... the photo would have captured me more if it was in landscape mode rather than portrait

Just a view

To Pablo, leews2001, newlife, ilsam and night86mare, thanks a lot of your critiques! will improve on these areas and keep in mind the tips the next time i do something lke this! =] sorry for the late reply though. was busy shooting in Japan

Status
Not open for further replies.