Daocheng Yading ()

Marsalis

Nov 9, 2009
Hi Everyone,

I am seaching for a photography trip to DaoCheng Yading this. Supposed to go last year but was told by Dynasty Travel there were some minor road repairs. So i went to red land in yunnan instead.

This year, my travel bugs are hitting on me again. Anyone knows if there are any travel agency in sg beside dynasty travel that goes to this place? Also is May-Jun/Oct-Nov an ideal time to go?

Any contribution are welcome. Thanks in advance

Hi Everyone,

I am seaching for a photography trip to DaoCheng Yading this. Supposed to go last year but was told by Dynasty Travel there were some minor road repairs. So i went to red land in yunnan instead.

This year, my travel bugs are hitting on me again. Anyone knows if there are any travel agency in sg beside dynasty travel that goes to this place? Also is May-Jun/Oct-Nov an ideal time to go?

I went in May, and the weather seems great, and the greens are lush. Some pics below :
Daocheng/Yading

But I heard autumn (Sep/Oct) is fantastic as well, esp around Xinduqiao area, which I believe most would pass by.

I would suggest to fly to chengdu and join the tour organised by the local agent there.

Agreed with wong_se. Lots of travel agents offer 6/7 days tour. Reasonable price too.

hi,

am keen to do the trip also. any recommendation of a reputable tour agent in Chengdu ?

hi,

am keen to do the trip also. any recommendation of a reputable tour agent in Chengdu ?

check out those address and contact of the travel agent, especially the departure date. yading trip is not everyday.
when u in chengdu, go there and settle, confirm and pay. make it easy and safe.

but will waste time in chengdu this way...

check out those address and contact of the travel agent, especially the departure date. yading trip is not everyday.
when u in chengdu, go there and settle, confirm and pay. make it easy and safe.

but will waste time in chengdu this way...

u fly to chengdu Day 1, u expect to leave Chengdu to DaoCheng on Day 1 as well ?
take a taxi, or walk if your hotel is next to travel agent, to thier office and settle the bill. max 30mins.

u fly to chengdu Day 1, u expect to leave Chengdu to DaoCheng on Day 1 as well ?
take a taxi, or walk if your hotel is next to travel agent, to thier office and settle the bill. max 30mins.

why not ?

I joined a local photography tour organised by 四川省摄影家协会 about 5-6 years ago. Google it to find out more. Places of shooting are well covered but personally find the 9 days trip quite hectic. A lot of walking/climbing and the living condition (especially in Yading Village) quite bad. Not sure whether the places have improved over the years, and also beware of altitude sickness.

I joined a local photography tour organised by 四川省摄影家协会 about 5-6 years ago. Google it to find out more. Places of shooting are well covered but personally find the 9 days trip quite hectic. A lot of walking/climbing and the living condition (especially in Yading Village) quite bad. Not sure whether the places have improved over the years, and also beware of altitude sickness.

thks for the headsup.

I went in May, and the weather seems great, and the greens are lush. Some pics below :
Daocheng/Yading

But I heard autumn (Sep/Oct) is fantastic as well, esp around Xinduqiao area, which I believe most would pass by.

Hello, really enjoyed your blog pictures. Very nice series of China - Yunnan.
May I check with you how long you spent in the vicinity of Kunming, Dali, Lijiang, Lugu Lake? I'm planning to go in May this year.

Lonely Planet style of traveling - Take a long distance bus from Chengdu to Kangding and from there, you can make all the necessary arrangement to Xinduqiao and Yading/Daocheng. Here, you can hire a 4 wheel drive with driver for the rest of the journey.

Alternatively, you can continue with local transport along the way and make stop at Xinduqiao and Daocheng where you make separate arrangement for the usual sightseeing.

Have fun!

Last edited:
Thanks gator,
I stayed overall a month in Yunnan, and I will send a private mesage (pm) to you to elaborate a little more. Since the thread-starter is asking about Daocheng/Yading Sichuan, I don't want to throw the topic off-thread. :)

Hello, really enjoyed your blog pictures. Very nice series of China - Yunnan.
May I check with you how long you spent in the vicinity of Kunming, Dali, Lijiang, Lugu Lake? I'm planning to go in May this year.

Daocheng/Yading

Hi Nuts, thank you for your input. Lovely photo of spring you have there. Love the b/w pic with the bike. really.

Thank you everyone for your input. Really appreciate.

Hi Everyone,

Hi

When are you looking to go ?

I am looking at Ya Ding also.... I wrote to Sims Cozy in Chengdu (used to be runned by a Singaporean) to check on their package... still waiting for their reply..

Did a google and there's agency in Chengdu that organise trip to Ya Ding from Chengdu.. but i prefer to go on a smaller group .... 4, 5 paxs..

I was there last year in October to see the autumn leaves, it was a great time to go and it even snowed. For autumn leaves in Xinduqiao, it's only about a 2 weeks window. We joined the 10 days tour from China Express, and we were generally quite satisfied with the tour, however if you are seriously photographing you should take more time. I would recommend at least a full day in Xinduqiao for photography.
Parts of the roads at the Yajiang area are under repair, due to a major landslide, and I think the road works may not be complete yet. From Xinduqiao to Daocheng was almost a 14 hour drive with stops only for lunch and toilet. About 40% from our tour suffered from some form altitude sickness especially at the Daocheng and Yading areas.

My photos are at:
https://picasaweb.google.com/102336202640617284464/DaochengYading?authuser=0&feat=directlink