Dancing Dragons [Thian Hock Keng Temple]

Status
Not open for further replies.

dingzyangz

May 8, 2008
2944078897_80af50ae5b_o.jpg

I have been wanting to shoot this temple for quite sometime. Most pple would have chosen to shoot in the day. I was trying something different because I noticed that the lightings of the temple at night could be quite mesmerizing. I visited this place for several days. Finally, there was this day where the setting sun and the sky was considerably quite "co-operative". :) I like the way the small amount of light hitting on the roof and the silouhutte of the dragons.

How did I fare here?

Thanks for viewing. :D

Quite a good capture, the dark blue skies, nice amount of light showing the decorations of the temple doors and pillars. Only complaint is the black border on top, I feel that without it, a more "vast" feel of the skies would be given.

i like the symmetry here and the photo is very well-balanced.

contrast in tones - the lighting in the temple and the color in the sky is also good for me. i think you can try converting to b&w simply to get a different feel but i prefer it as it is. not much to nitpick about here to be honest.

Will you try HDR on this scene?

thanks kruger. :) i do agree with u that the black border is quite a nuisance. at that pt of editing... there were some pillars at the bottom. so i added a top and bottom to hide it. lol.
Quite a good capture, the dark blue skies, nice amount of light showing the decorations of the temple doors and pillars. Only complaint is the black border on top, I feel that without it, a more "vast" feel of the skies would be given.

thanks for viewing bro.. :bsmilie: i have both versions actually... but still preferred the colored one ;)
i like the symmetry here and the photo is very well-balanced.

contrast in tones - the lighting in the temple and the color in the sky is also good for me. i think you can try converting to b&w simply to get a different feel but i prefer it as it is. not much to nitpick about here to be honest.

nope.. I dun think it is required here. :bsmilie: the amt of details on the temple works just right for me in this case. Furthermore, I only took 1 pic and normally I prefer doing HDR with multiple pics.
Will you try HDR on this scene?

thanks JacePhoto. it must be the trees at the side that is distracting u. Will give it a try to see how it looks like without the trees. :bsmilie:
nice. Maybe a tighter crop from the side?

Good work!

Another attempt to produce a different picture is to use a smaller aperture to allow enough time for you to light up the bottom part of the image.

Results depend on the method use in your lighting technique and the amout of time you allow yourself to complete this task while the shutter is opened.

;)

1. too balanced btw dark and light, esp since the bottom dark not contributing too much. maybe more sky

2. crop away the little distraction on left.

3. incr exposure on temple for more hints of details (or maybe my monitor cannot see so well in the shadows.)

yep.. agree with you forward. thanks! ideally i would also prefer to shoot at low iso too with smaller aperture. :D
Another attempt to produce a different picture is to use a smaller aperture to allow enough time for you to light up the bottom part of the image.

Results depend on the method use in your lighting technique and the amout of time you allow yourself to complete this task while the shutter is opened.

;)

noted on the first pt... :D i was also thinking whether to crop away the left but somehow i left it there becos of the "gold" details of the temple would be cut off too. :(
1. too balanced btw dark and light, esp since the bottom dark not contributing too much. maybe more sky

2. crop away the little distraction on left.

3. incr exposure on temple for more hints of details (or maybe my monitor cannot see so well in the shadows.)

wow.. fantastic shot. Agree with the others that the black border at top and bottom should go. Maybe just crop the photo and leave it a little more rectangular, don't think there's a need to conform to any standard size.

If only the trees weren't there and the entire roof can be silhouetted.. but that's impossible unless you uproot the trees.

haha... thanks darkroom for ur kind comments. I have edited the black border hehe... but i will leave the original here for further comments. :)

yep... cant do anything abt the trees. >.<
actually i kind of like the little details of the roof. :)
wow.. fantastic shot. Agree with the others that the black border at top and bottom should go. Maybe just crop the photo and leave it a little more rectangular, don't think there's a need to conform to any standard size.

If only the trees weren't there and the entire roof can be silhouetted.. but that's impossible unless you uproot the trees.

Status
Not open for further replies.