Damn Heavy Lens

ShiNn

Nov 26, 2006
Hi, will anyone bring a damn heavy lens for travel? By doing so, you will risk carrying heavy equipment and not enjoying the trip.

Most definitely. Unless it's a photo trip, I would never bring along equipment that will distract me from enjoying the quality time with my family.

Experience is more important to me than photos :)

It depends, doesn't it? ;p 'Travel' is an extremely broad term that could mean anything from a weekend family trip to hongkong, to a two week photo safari in Tanzania...

how heavy? heaviest I carry is 400/2.8 with cam and extenders and a big tripod and head. Then again those were birding trips.

More importantly. your carrying system can really help you handle the weight of your equipment.

Last edited:
And also depend the person lor, last time a member share what he carrys to shoot a wedding event, machaim going for one week solid event shoot, he can lar, cos he is commando trained. Other people already drop dead liao.

More importantly. your carrying system can really help you handle the weight of your equipment.

Yes sir...critical if you ask me...little bit of investment save big on chiropractor bill!

One must have the proper equipment to go with the proper equipment or it is just heartache. Took me about 4 years and lots of wasted dough to realize this.

Also I agree w/bro Richie...better to make enjoying the trip the #1 priority. Last major trip I was on brought 2 cameras several lenses...used 1 camera and 2 lenses...got maybe 5 keepers at best probably more if I would not had the extra baggage.

Another critical thing...pre-plan on the kit - thinking about what you are after and then gearing up accordingly...I have taken a page out of pinholecam's book on this one...this is what I have learned from him...

But yeah...dang heavy lens and big dslr and a few hours lugging it around...sucks and can throw one off the game.

Hi, will anyone bring a damn heavy lens for travel? By doing so, you will risk carrying heavy equipment and not enjoying the trip.

For me it's as light as possible in general but then if I'm spending 15k on a safari trip or 40k on Antarctica expedition, I would definitely lug along the right gear to get what I want.

I don't mind heavy camera equipment in my bag, as long I got what I wanted. :D

thanks for all the input.
different people, different objectives, different gear setup.
Most importantly, what you wanna achieve for the trip

:)

Ok... this question is kind of tricky and very personal.

Long story short.. I will say. It really depends on you. Nobody else can advise you better than yourself. Obviously, If you already know carrying heavy equipment will make you not enjoy the trip. Then dont bring it. If you are really unsure. Then just bring it. Sure, you can bring everything/whatever you have too. Once you do it 1 time or afew times. You will know better the next time.

For me, I only bring what i know i will be using.

Last time I brought most of my lenses..which was my 100mm macro..100-400 lens n my sigma 18-35mm...ended up using the sigma 95% of the time.5% of 100-400..n no time for macro..so nowadays if I go overseas I see if it's worth bringing by setting my itinerary..

I brought every lens I owned, a spare camera and a P&S when I visited Iceland. Didn't regret it at all, and what a vista it was! Captured it on film.

I brought two bodies when I hiked in Nepal. Really heavy, and again, worth the trouble.

Bringing along is one thing. Carry along is another. I tend to bring more lens but only carry those that might be useful for particular parts of the trip. The rest stays in my bag back in the hotel room or on the bus depending on the type of travel.

Depends on where I go.

Gone were the days where I carry a backpack with like 5 lens a dslr and a tripod - easily 7 kg carry on photo equipments.

Nowaday, I uss mirrorless. Usually, I would bring a 28 mm and a 50 mm full frame equivalent. Or if there is more landscape opportunity, I might take a 16-35 only. I use this setup for places like Taiwan, Europe, Hong Kong, turkey etc. basically just shoot what I can with the set up and not worried about changing lens for every scene and spend more quality time with love ones and enjoy my holiday.

Though a trip to the safari would mean carrying along a Heavy long lens :)

Last edited:
i bring 16-35 f4 and 24-70 f2.8 , if i know i gonna shot cityscape and sunset/sunrise i use ultra-wide, normal walk ard i just mount 24-70

agree with this combination. a 24-70mm for daily use and a 16-35mm for landscape shots.

no point bringing heavy gear which shag you out especially if you're traveling out the whole day without returning to your hotel to rest

I usually travel with a D810 + 24-120/4. Its light to me, but i got friends who will scream that its a 10 ton white elephant. (They use mirrorless)

So to each their own :)