Damage to sensor wit long exposure?

A-tangy

Feb 22, 2012
Hello,

I would like to check with you guys if the sensor will be damage or affected if the shutter is kept open for too long for long exposure?? I am talking about shutter speed of around 15 mins.

Thank you.

This is my guess but I suppose it may happen in a particular scenario where you keep the shutter open in bright sun with no ND filter, and leave this open for 15 minutes. You could literally cook your sensor in such a circumstance, I'd imagine.

The right exposure time to be used is really 15 minutes, I don't think there'd be an issue. I know a lot of overseas photographers who shoot loads of star trails, and some of them keep the shutter open for way longer..

My opinion... it will not matter if the long exposure are at night and not pointing directly to the sun. However, it might not be too wise for too long an exposure, as heat will build up and noise will occur. Many people would rather take multiple shots at shorter exposure, then stack them up during PP.

I would like to check with you guys if the sensor will be damage or affected if the shutter is kept open for too long for long exposure?? I am talking about shutter speed of around 15 mins.
If it needs 15min to 'collect' enough light then it's alright. Do your exposure calculation (e.g. test shots at high ISO, wide open aperture), examine the results then calculate the stops down.
As mentioned, it's rather a question of the sensor heating up.

Thank for all the response. Actually i am planning to do it at nite so the sun is no issue but noise would be a issue. Think i would buy a lower nd filter instead of using my nd110 filter.

my friend damaged his d90 sensor due to constant shots of long exposure....

Thank for all the response. Actually i am planning to do it at nite so the sun is no issue but noise would be a issue. Think i would buy a lower nd filter instead of using my nd110 filter.

you are going to use nd110 at nite?? usually after sundown the exposure times go from 15s & up already, without ND filters, depending on the scene. Why the need for so long exposures? I've tried shooting star trails for up to 30min before & I've seen people with 2hr long exposures as well. Don't think any damage was done to the sensor... battery life is the bigger concern here.

What do you intend to achieve by using ND110 at night?

Actually try doing some or many shots instead of 1 long exposure, you can stack them up during PP, that would definitely help to reduce noise.