DA* lens combination ?

lionel lim

Mar 20, 2011
Ang Mo Kio
Anyone can tell me if i want to by DA* lens what combination should i get ? 16-50* and 50-135* or any other recommend ?

If u prefer Zoom lens i think thats it,but with another 2 teleprime DA*200 / 300mm FULL HOUSE!

DA*16-50 and 50-135 completes the focal length needs on APS-C for most people.

I chose 16 50, plus 60 250. It's a hard decision between 50 135 and the 60 250, though.

16-50, 50-135, 55, 200 and 300

it should cover 99% of your needs

in the first place, why DA* lenses?

Bro just a quick question; if someone is really considering buying a DA* 16-50 and 50-135, then what would his equivalent alternatives be? What would you get that would be just as good?

Bro just a quick question; if someone is really considering buying a DA* 16-50 and 50-135, then what would his equivalent alternatives be? What would you get that would be just as good?

I would prefer a prime setup - DA15, DA21, FA31/DA35, FA43/FA50 and a DA70/FA77. I can then end it with some kind of a 135prime or >=100mm macro prime.

I would prefer a prime setup - DA15, DA21, FA31/DA35, FA43/FA50 and a DA70/FA77. I can then end it with some kind of a 135prime or >=100mm macro prime.

Oooh! don't make me drool! Hehe! Yes, i also wish i had all those wonderful primes! I must admit though i am not so used to carrying so many primes and having to switch lenses all the time... how do you guys do it? especially when you travel?

Oooh! don't make me drool! Hehe! Yes, i also wish i had all those wonderful primes! I must admit though i am not so used to carrying so many primes and having to switch lenses all the time... how do you guys do it? especially when you travel?

Ohh, you don't have to bring them all out - the whole shooting philosophy is different using a prime setup compared to zooms. Typically, I have a maximum of three or just two primes in my bag, depending on size. I often just bring what I feel like using that day. You can almost make a picture with any lens, anywhere. <:

In fact, the three DA limited pancakes, i.e. DA21, 40 and 70 are all about you are ever going to need for general photography. And their combined size are still smaller than say the DA1650 alone. You'll only have one more lens to change compared to the two DA* setup and price wise still pretty affordable - ~$1800 for all three pancakes. You may add on in the future depending on your needs or move on to the FA limiteds.

it really depends what u need it for. the tamron 17-50 is good, even though its not WR, ditto the sigma 70-200.

Ohh, you don't have to bring them all out - the whole shooting philosophy is different using a prime setup compared to zooms. Typically, I have a maximum of three or just two primes in my bag, depending on size. I often just bring what I feel like using that day. You can almost make a picture with any lens, anywhere. <:

Honestly, that's a skill i have yet to learn. I should try it one day... Just take a couple of primes (depending on where i am going) and shoot with those.

Right now, and especially when i travel, i am too kiasu and scared to leave the zoom behind as i worry i can't catch the shot i want as i don't have the right FL... But i shall remember what you say "You can almost make a picture with any lens, anywhere"!

it really depends what u need it for. the tamron 17-50 is good, even though its not WR, ditto the sigma 70-200.

Well i almost got the 17-50 from HK as it is cheaper there. It certainly is much cheaper than the DA*16-50. And i agree that the 70-200 brings more versatility... maybe when my "skill" goes up more and i "outgrow" the kit lens and the 18-135mm... But i like Scorpioh's idea of getting comfortable with a few primes and making the picture happen...

Honestly, that's a skill i have yet to learn. I should try it one day... Just take a couple of primes (depending on where i am going) and shoot with those.

Right now, and especially when i travel, i am too kiasu and scared to leave the zoom behind as i worry i can't catch the shot i want as i don't have the right FL... But i shall remember what you say "You can almost make a picture with any lens, anywhere"!

Ha, don't worry, I had that nudging fear once. In fact, I once spent the entire holiday in China with just the DA15 and didn't very badly feel anything missing. Generally, it's pretty comfortable with any prime lens <=35mm for general workaround. Add a short tele (50mm <= FL <= 135mm) for some ad hoc portrait purpose if needed.

Ha, don't worry, I had that nudging fear once. In fact, I once spent the entire holiday in China with just the DA15 and didn't very badly feel anything missing. Generally, it's pretty comfortable with any prime lens <=35mm for general workaround. Add a short tele (50mm <= FL <= 135mm) for some ad hoc portrait purpose if needed.

Yeah, next time am gonna put the DAL 35 on and walkaround, see if comfortable. I also thought of getting a film camera, pop a 50mm on and try... want a Super Program + A 50 1.7!

If I'm consdering buying the DA*16-50 and 50-135, another alternative i will look at is Tamron 17-50 f/2.8 and Tamron 70-200 f/2.8.