DA Kit Lens vs DAL Kit Lens

normanho23

Jun 1, 2010
Woodlands / Jurong East
Hi all,

I am planning to get K-x but is lost between the standard DA Kit lens and the DAL WR kit lens.

I am a newbie and this will be my first SLR.

What is the difference between the 2 types of lens besides being WR? How applicable is WR lens when it comes to normal usage? Is it worth upgrading to WR lens?

Thanks.

Norman

I am planning to get K-x but is lost between the standard DA Kit lens and the DAL WR kit lens.
I don't think the K-x comes with the DA lens.
The K-x comes with only
K-x w/ DAL 18-55 + DAL 50-200
K-x w/ DAL 18-55 + DAL 55-300
DA are different lens which you can get it from the stores. To upgrade, ask the stores for details. Sometime they do allow top up for them, it's your luck.
DA WR lens are for K-7, i am not sure whether do they sell as a bundle for K-x.. Contact the Stores for more information.

What is the difference between the 2 types of lens besides being WR? How applicable is WR lens when it comes to normal usage? Is it worth upgrading to WR lens?
The differences between DAL and WR lens i can think of, is metal mount and plastic mount?
DAL does not have Distance Scale. See here,
http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/showthread.php?t=702398
Others i really can't remember......

I don't think the K-x comes with the DA lens.
The K-x comes with only
K-x w/ DAL 18-55 + DAL 50-200
K-x w/ DAL 18-55 + DAL 55-300
DA are different lens which you can get it from the stores. To upgrade, ask the stores for details. Sometime they do allow top up for them, it's your luck.
DA WR lens are for K-7, i am not sure whether do they sell as a bundle for K-x.. Contact the Stores for more information.

There is no DAL WR lenses but DA WR lenses.

Congrats on choosing Pentax

The differences between DAL and WR lens i can think of, is metal mount and plastic mount?
DAL does not have Distance Scale. See here,
http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/showthread.php?t=702398
Others i really can't remember......

The DA and DA WR lenses are identically the same expect the WR is weather resistant.
The DAL is a plastic mount lens without quick shift and distance markings but is optically the same as the DA and DA WR, which have metal mounts, and quick shift and distance markings.

DA WR dual kit lenses only sold together with K7 as a bundle. To buy them separately, will cost you slightly over $1k for both.

Yes. DA lens are for K7.

When they say weather resistant, does it mean that I can use the k-x with the WR lens during slight drizzle?

Yes. DA lens are for K7.

When they say weather resistant, does it mean that I can use the k-x with the WR lens during slight drizzle?

K-x is NOT WR.Only K-7 is WR.So if you use a K-x and a WR lens in rainy weather,only your lens will survive...

you don't need a weather resistant lens in a slight drizzle, actually, or a weather resistant camera.

of course, slight is kinda.. subjective.

You can always shoot in the rain with a $10 umbrella. And it keeps yourself dry as well. ;p

You can always shoot in the rain with a $10 umbrella. And it keeps yourself dry as well. ;p

haha! I like this answer.

So can I assume that it is pointless to get WR lens when the camera is not WR?

But does the additional features on the DA lens help in capturing photos?

Not if you like to shoot from your hip and use the distance markings as a guide. Just get the K-x with the DAL kit lens will do.

Or better still buy a DA*16-50mm F2.8 to go with the K-x :devil:

It's not pointless 'cos your lenses will probably outlast your camera body. Sometime down the road, you may dump the K-x for a new WR body. Maybe, maybe not, and don't know when..... but the part about lenses outlasting bodies is generally true.

And I second the opinion that you don't need WR equipment to shoot in a slight drizzle.

Not if you like to shoot from your hip and use the distance markings as a guide. Just get the K-x with the DAL kit lens will do.

Or better still buy a DA*16-50mm F2.8 to go with the K-x :devil:

i'm planning to buy either the tamron 17-50mm F2.8 or DA*16-50mm F2.8 (to replace my kit lens), but i do not know which will be worth it.
or to buy a FA 50mm F1.4 more worth the money?

Last edited:
i'm planning to buy either the tamron 17-50mm F2.8 or DA*16-50mm F2.8 (to replace my kit lens), but i do not know which will be worth it.

depends on your budget. :)

if you have the money, get the 16-50 f/2.8. if you have a budget, the 17-50 f/2.8 is a great lens for the price, period.

as others have mentioned in another thread, build + WR alone justifies the pricing of the DA* over the 17-50 f/2.8. quality is exponential after all.

it's just like how a canon user should get a 17-55 f/2.8 IS over the same tamron any day, unless they have budget constraints. unless of course they plan to eventually upgrade to FF, but that's another story for another forum.

i think with the price difference between the 17-50 f/2.8 and 16-50 f/2.8, you could probably just top up a little and buy the 50mm f/1.4.

all are great lenses - just ask yourself which one you need most first, and work from there.

i think with the price difference between the 17-50 f/2.8 and 16-50 f/2.8, you could probably just top up a little and buy the 50mm f/1.4.

all are great lenses - just ask yourself which one you need most first, and work from there.

Thanks for your help, but i'm using K-x so not WR to have a WR lens or not is not a problem. anyway kinda think of it better get the WR, cos i may also wanna change to K-7 once my skill got better. Then i can give my K-x to my GF and poison her too haha.:devil:

Thanks for your help, but i'm using K-x so not WR to have a WR lens or not is not a problem. anyway kinda think of it better get the WR, cos i may also wanna change to K-7 once my skill got better. Then i can give my K-x to my GF and poison her too haha.:devil:

why skill improve must change to K-7 :dunno: i won't make a difference if you are already good....;)