DA 35/2.4 on a Film Camera - Testing Photos

fengwei

Aug 25, 2004
Queenstown
www.pbase.com
As promised in my other threads, I put this new lens on a film camera (MZ-5n), took a few random shots to see if the lens can cover FF image circle.

Just got the results back (developed and scanned at the same shop I always do my film). Well, I can't see any vignetting or dark corners on any of the photos taken by this combo, wide open or stop down, closeups or far away subjects. I can't even see any sign of optical degradation at all on edges or corners. I guess Pentax should've called it a DFA 35/2.4 :p

Here are some quick testing photos I took w/ MZ-5n + DAL35/2.4 on Fujifilm Reala 100:

25590016_s.jpg

25590029_s.jpg

25590030_s.jpg

25590033_s.jpg

25590032_s.jpg

25590034_s.jpg

25590035_s.jpg

This following one was taken at wide open aperture, a bit out of focus (hard to focus w/o liveview at this low angle), but you can see there isn't any vignetting even for closeups like this:

25590037_s.jpg

A slightly bigger photo to show the edges:

25590027b.jpg

Thanks fengwei for the test, the DAL 35mm perform much better than the DA 40mm Ltd on a Film Camera.

FW where do you normally develop your film? in Chinatown? They do E6?

Its like its a FA-LC35 (LC = low cost) :)
Min focusing 40mm from 30mm, f2.4 from f2, same optical design. Just as if test limits were widened to accommodate better yields from the existing FA35

Whatever the case, its a great lens from all I have see from 1st hand samples taken with the trial copy Emjay loaned us for the outing and from your detailed tests. :thumbsup:
Bokeh is certain the best of the bunch of 35mm from your 35mm lens shootout.

that's definitely very impressive for a DA lens on a film camera!

must....
not...
succumb....

With a short focal length like the DA35, there won't be any vignetting or dark corners right?
I remember using DA*50-135 on my MZ-3, at 50mm there isn't any vignetting but when zoom to 135mm, vignetting is obvious.

Awesome photos. Another positive contribution to the Pentax body of knowledge. :thumbsup:

thanks for the greats pics! need to get funds for this lens NOW! poison to the max

Its like its a FA-LC35 (LC = low cost) :)
Min focusing 40mm from 30mm, f2.4 from f2, same optical design. Just as if test limits were widened to accommodate better yields from the existing FA35

Whatever the case, its a great lens from all I have see from 1st hand samples taken with the trial copy Emjay loaned us for the outing and from your detailed tests. :thumbsup:
Bokeh is certain the best of the bunch of 35mm from your 35mm lens shootout.

The DA35/2.4 can focus down to 30mm also if I'm not wrong. :)

The most tempting lens these days :)

Not as poisonous as FA31 maybe, but consider last time I dared not bring FA31 to any places rough...

With a short focal length like the DA35, there won't be any vignetting or dark corners right?
I remember using DA*50-135 on my MZ-3, at 50mm there isn't any vignetting but when zoom to 135mm, vignetting is obvious.

Off topic, but if I can see vignetting on my DA*50-135 on crop sensor, it must be quite bad on film...