DA 21 Limited, FA 20 f2, or Tamron 17-50 f2.8?

tootboink

Oct 29, 2009
I will be going to Mount Kinabalu, Bangkok and Phuket after my exams, on a travellor's budget =D Currently the lenses i use are the FA 50mm f1.4 and the DA 18-250. I use both very often, but i find the 50mm too long for many indoor occasions as well as scenery. The two lenses cover me very well, but when it comes to low light occasions like a house birthday party, i am stranded.

So i am looking for a good wide angle lens that can cover low light situations, and take scenery. Was thinking of the 35mm f2.0 but aaron80 very kindly advised it could still be too narrow for my needs. Hence the DA21, FA20 and the Tamron 17-50 f2.8 came to mind. May i have some opinions on these lenses? Which should i choose?

Thanks in advance:)

I will be going to Mount Kinabalu, Bangkok and Phuket after my exams, on a travellor's budget =D Currently the lenses i use are the FA 50mm f1.4 and the DA 18-250. I use both very often, but i find the 50mm too long for many indoor occasions as well as scenery. The two lenses cover me very well, but when it comes to low light occasions like a house birthday party, i am stranded.

So i am looking for a good wide angle lens that can cover low light situations, and take scenery. Was thinking of the 35mm f2.0 but aaron80 very kindly advised it could still be too narrow for my needs. Hence the DA21, FA20 and the Tamron 17-50 f2.8 came to mind. May i have some opinions on these lenses? Which should i choose?

Thanks in advance:)

Tamron 17-50mm F2.8, Sigma 18-50mm F2.8, or Pentax DA* 16-50mm F2.8, are all good all rounders for indoor situations as the aperture is constant from wide to zoom.

The above are very good for low light situations. Pentax's 21mm is also another one you can consider and to widen the angle of a shot you just need to move a bit backwards to achieve your shots . . .

I use the 16-50 extensively for my indoor shots.

Last edited:
The Tamron 17-50/2.8 is more flexible, cheaper and fast. No sacrifice in performance.
Only downside is size and weight, in which case the DA21 would be better

FA20 :D need to find one 1st

Bringing a tripod would solve some of your indoor shots problems, esp when you take palaces, temples, grand buildings during the tour

Last edited:
I think you got to check your own style of photography first. There are plenty of lenses out there that you can use for indoor shot when it comes to gathering table shot.

Maybe you ask yourself these:
Do you like to carry your camera everywhere you go, or almost everyday around for all occasion? If you like light weight and compact setup, then da21 is a good lens to do that.

If you don't mind the weight and the size. Then any of those 18-50/2.8, 16-50/2.8 or even the 17-70/4 will do the job.

35 is too narrow. Fa20 is hard to find. Da21 is still avaliable. I personally has my da21 cap on my camera everywhere I go (almost). And I am more of a prime shooter. So you really got to check your own style to find your liking.

cheersss..

i am so torn!

since i already have the 50mm, i am tempted to get the 21mm because 1. it has slightly better IQ and 2. the 17-50 kind of makes my 50mm redundant.

at 3.2 is the DA21 still a good performer at lower-light situations?

will i miss the 17-21 and 21-50 range? i would like to ask people who shoot indoors a lot, does it matter much to you that you have to move around to get your shot?

maybe i should just put up WTB threads and see which offer i get first :bsmilie: ;)

IQ wise all these are good enough. So I guess the deciding factor is size/weight. If you prefer carrying small lenses, get the DA21.

All the mentioned lenses are good. :thumbsup:
I'm happy with my few days old Tamron 17-50 F2.8 :heart:

may i know where and how much you got it for?

may i know where and how much you got it for?

I bought from TK Foto at $620.
SLR is selling at $618 but no stock.
The Camera Workshop at $580 but only shop warranty, no 3 yrs distro warranty.
TK & Camera Workshop ones are made in Japan.

i am so torn!

since i already have the 50mm, i am tempted to get the 21mm because 1. it has slightly better IQ and 2. the 17-50 kind of makes my 50mm redundant.

at 3.2 is the DA21 still a good performer at lower-light situations?

will i miss the 17-21 and 21-50 range? i would like to ask people who shoot indoors a lot, does it matter much to you that you have to move around to get your shot?

maybe i should just put up WTB threads and see which offer i get first :bsmilie: ;)

MHO, indoors with moving subjects (eg. kids), typically you need Iso 800 and higher (luck and many shots as well) unless you setup the shot near a bright light source like the window. Aperture would be f2.8 at the very minimal, practically f2 and most likely a wide lens from 35mm and lower for the better DOF at the larger aperture. The 50mm can do the indoor job as well, but shooting at f1.4, f1.7 can be more critical due to the more shallow DOF. I would use bounced flash most of the time if I need to go above ISO800.

I think the DA21 is too slow for indoors with poorer light. But saying that, it is unique for being very small, light and portable which can mean that you bring it out more and use it more.

Think over what you want (and will shoot ) indoors most of the time. For static objects, you can still consider the DA21. For moving subjects and really low light hand held, then go for a faster lens. You need a tripod to get the best results anyway ;)

Last edited:
what you need to do now is research how the lens you listed out perform in F8, F11 and etc as i doubt you would take landscape using F2.8?

for in house activities...a free tip would be to learn how to use the onboard flash to the best of your abilities. My recommendation would be a off shoe capable flash with diffuser.

I think the DA21 is too slow for indoors with poorer light. But saying that, it is unique for being very small, light and portable which can mean that you bring it out more and use it more.

DA21 aren't really that too slow for indoors. ITs only half a stop slower than f/2.8. If you can get it without flash at 2.8, you can also do the same at 3.2. Focal length of 21mm, can go down to 1/20sec without shake reduction. These modern days with SR and K-x high ISO capability, the DA21 is perfectly suitable for indoor shoot without the use of flash. I personally use it a lot in indoors. And my 18-50/2.8, 50/1.4, 35/2.8 are sitting in the dry cabinet all the time.

Then another good point about DA21 is the minimum close focusing distance. Its able to get up very close to the subject when doing static shoot.

Like I earlier mentioned in the post, different people have different style and like for photography.

cheerss..

Hijack a bit...

IQ wise which is better between, Tamron 17-50 f2.8 and 28-75mm F/2.8?
IS the 28-75mm can be set at f2.8 for the whole focal range?

I want a fast lens that can shoot small group photos indoors but also have that extra reach on the long end (maybe bar concerts, sports games).

If i need to shoot scenery/landscape (no need for a fast lens Right??) will my 18-55kit lens capable for this???.

With the above in mind, is the 28-75 a better choice??

Hijack a bit...

IQ wise which is better between, Tamron 17-50 f2.8 and 28-75mm F/2.8?
IS the 28-75mm can be set at f2.8 for the whole focal range?

I want a fast lens that can shoot small group photos indoors but also have that extra reach on the long end (maybe bar concerts, sports games).

If i need to shoot scenery/landscape (no need for a fast lens Right??) will my 18-55kit lens capable for this???.

With the above in mind, is the 28-75 a better choice??

Yes , it is constant aperture of 2.8 for all the zoom. This lens is design for full frame hence it’s 28-75mm . Crop sensor will usually go for 17-50 which work out to be ( 26mm-75mm). However it’s still a popular lens for Crop sensor .

I’m one of the guys who is aiming for this lens too as I find that 50mm is a bit too tight to shot at my baby boy ….

Yes , it is constant aperture of 2.8 for all the zoom. This lens is design for full frame hence it’s 28-75mm . Crop sensor will usually go for 17-50 which work out to be ( 26mm-75mm). However it’s still a popular lens for Crop sensor .

I’m one of the guys who is aiming for this lens too as I find that 50mm is a bit too tight to shot at my baby boy ….

So when use on my K-x, the 17-50 and 28-75 will give almost the same focal length? is my understanding correct?

or the 28-75 will give me a 42-112 (1.5x)?? a bit confused now....:dunno:

So when use on my K-x, the 17-50 and 28-75 will give almost the same focal length? is my understanding correct?

or the 28-75 will give me a 42-112 (1.5x)?? a bit confused now....:dunno:

It will give a 42mm-112mm

Any idea how much is 28-75mm F/2.8?

someone in the mass sale is selling this for $450, but i think no warranty.

28-75mm might still be very short for bar gigs (unless you are sure you can move up close). For sport games, its almost certain to be not enough.
A setup that covers up to 135mm is a safer bet.

17-50mm is good for general use as its wide enough for most landscape/interior work. You'd be able to take it out on a 'no purpose' walkabout and be sure that it will not be inadequate. The 28-75 is better if you are working more between 'normal' perspective and portrait (eg. Wedding, Family events like birthdays). If you find that 50mm is long enough for portraits you do, then the 17-50 is probably the lens to go for.

ard 580 +/- I also considering this lens ...... IMO , I think with warranty better