DA*200/2.8 vs FA*200/2.8

Status
Not open for further replies.

fengwei

Aug 25, 2004
Queenstown
www.pbase.com
Got this DA*200/2.8 lens along w/ the K20D camera about 11 hours ago. Didn't get chance to take some real photos w/ this lens yet. Here I'd post some first impression about this lens, and the comparison w/ my beloved FA*200/2.8 lens.

The DA*200/2.8 lens is very well built, feels very solid too, one of the best DA lens so far. The golden ring and DA* tag make the lens very attractive, but some might not like this color. The lens barrel is obviously fully metal w/ rubberized focusing ring. The hood is plastic though, not like the metal hood for the FA*200/2.8 which I also have. Cosmetically I do prefer the silver color of the FA*200, but I'm sure many here prefer black lenses over silver ones. Focusing ring on the DA one is abit narrower than the FA version, but it's wide enough for easy MF. MF feels very smooth and precise. Both lenses are about the same size and weight. I kinda like the rugged surface finishing on the DA200.

The FA200 has a push/pull AF/MF switch, while there is a dedicate switch on the DA200. But the Quick Shift feature on the DA200 does make AF/MF switch alot easier.

After mounting on both lenses on my K10D and K20D camera, I feel thrilled about this DA*200/2.8 lens. AF is ssooooo quiet and smooth, I almost can't hear any AF sound at all. If I don't look through the view finder, I don't even think the lens is working :D AF is very accurate on both K10D and K20D camera even under room light. Optically we've seen some review of this lens already, and it's definitely on par of the already great FA*200/2.8 lens. I'll do some actual field test over the weekend when I get chance. Will post some sample photos after that :)

Here is the beautiful DA*200/2.8 lens:

DA200_1.jpg

DA200_2.jpg

DA200_3.jpg

Here are some comparison photos of the DA*200 and FA*200:

FADA200_1.jpg

FADA200_2.jpg

FADA200_3.jpg

And DA*200 mounted on K20D:

K20D_DA200_1.jpg

SO Beautiful now... it looks cool.. did liveview works fine w/ 200mm?

Isn't is always a thrilled to be able to use the Pentax * lens.;) Both are a beauty. Thanks for sharing fengwei.;)

Great comparison. Thanks for the wonderful images of the lenses fengwei. :thumbsup:

Ok, enough of the formalities .......... let's get down to business ....... Fengwei, when are you presenting your K20D report? .....................:bsmilie:

They somehow managed to make the lens a bit smaller and even added SDM, not bad at all.

They somehow managed to make the lens a bit smaller and even added SDM, not bad at all.

New lens is a little fatter around the distance scale to accommodate the ring motor.

They look the same size to me.:think: The FA*200 has a filter put on that make it look slightly taller. Yes, the DA* is slightly fatter.

Confirm its ring SDM ah ?

still prefer the silver color.. ...

Thanks. fengwei. mouth watering.;p

beautiful lens, Fengwei! Do let us see the sample shots and if possible, please do a comparison between this lens and the Pentax 18-200 @ 200mm. :)

photo will be ready tonight....

wow.. it looks really cool...

How much did you get it for?
Are you selling your FA*200 now? If so, for how much? ;p

Sorry for not getting back to you guys earlier. Couldn't get online as strated in the k20D hands on thread.

I've taken quite some photos w/ the new camera and this DA*200 lens, I'm very pleased w/ some of the photos. The lens works great in the field, and its weather sealed barrel did pretty well in the past two raining days. I wouldn't bring my FA*200 out in that kind of weather. But w/ the DA*200, I don't hesitate at all :cool:

Will post some testing photos tomorrow when I get time. I'm sure you'd love some of them :)

As creampuff said above, the DA*200 is actually slightly fatter than the FA one. But the overall size and weight are pretty much the same (I forgot to take off the filter on my FA200 when I took these photos ...)

Confirm its ring SDM ah ?

Yes, it got SDM which works great too :)

Status
Not open for further replies.