DA 17-70mm F4 SDM sample images

Status
Not open for further replies.

istDeS

Dec 7, 2005
"River end"
For those watching with interest to get the Pentax DA 17-70mm F4 SDM. The japanese website dc.watch has published some sample photos at their website.:)

The lens on K20D.

17_70mm_02l.jpg

here's the link to the sample pics.

http://dc.watch.impress.co.jp/cda/lens_review/2008/07/18/8861.html

The picture looks cool but I wonder about the price...read from pentax forum that it's open for pre order in adorama hmmmm

First off, this lens is more expensive than the DA 16-45mm...
I guesstimate it to be about $750...

but hw abt the Sigma? since it has a 2.8 at 17mm rite?

the 2.8 is really important in low light. f4 is a tad too slow imho.

if the sigma is a fixed 2.8 that will be purrrrfect~

Initially I thought the Pentax 17-70 would b a rebadged Sigma 17-70 like the 18-250 for the Tamron but seems like it is not so. F2.8 would really make a difference compared with F4 but I guess that also means the Pentax would be much more lighter. The range up to 70mm makes it more usable but I will prefer to stick with my 18-50mm for now for the f/2.8 and macro mode.

BTW, off topic here...while checking out the sigma 17-70, I realised that sigma recently introduced alot of HSM lenses. Either their technologies is more accessible now or the change stems from fact that the new Pentax range (K200D and K20D) are increasing Pentax's market share and resulting demand for HSM lenses to take advantage of their SDM capabilites.
You noticed that some were introduced with Pentax mounts but not available for the C and N mounts yet. That says alot for the Pentax tsunami....:)

http://www.sigmaphoto.com/lenses/lenses_all.asp

Off topic: Actually I am using my sigma mainly as a 17mm 2.8 lens rather than making using of the entire focal range; using zoom like a prime. But its the widest I have now until the 15 mm comes out. Hope it will not be too soon so that I can recover from my LBA wounds. Ha.

Just came back from Jpn, and was in Pentax Square / Forum...

Had the chance to try the 17-70mm f4 on my grip-changed K20D!! ... Will share the photos when I start to 'download' my pictures from SD card to PC.

*NOTE* if you are travelling on Holiday, I will suggest getting loads of SD Card for your K20D. It's a memory sucker!!!!

Had the chance to try the 17-70mm f4 on my grip-changed K20D!! ... Will share the photos when I start to 'download' my pictures from SD card to PC.

*NOTE* if you are travelling on Holiday, I will suggest getting loads of SD Card for your K20D. It's a memory sucker!!!!

Welcome home :) Hope to see some photos from your trip soon ;p

Welcome home :) Hope to see some photos from your trip soon ;p

It's coming at the end of the month though (this lens) .. and it's really expensive (especially compared to the Sigma / Tamron variants)! I had to take my turn to try the lens as there's quite a number of ppl in the square trying it out with the K20D.

Unlike the 16-45mm, it's really quiet when focusing (of course, SDM) and pretty fast as well in a brightly lit Pentax forum.

Welcome home! So how much you paid to get your K20D grip changed? I suppose it is the customised grip you have changed to.:)

Welcome home! So how much you paid to get your K20D grip changed? I suppose it is the customised grip you have changed to.:)

eh... I think close to 60 SGD. Not worth it, but I just did it... I kind of like the feel of it. You can certainly try that out during the Pentax meet? Can always reverse it.. at a price (half the cost).

Ah u r back... the price of the 17-70 really is disappointing... i had the nikon 18-70 which is very good for oni $250...i guess i'll remain a prime user...;)

btw... any news of the 60-250 when u r there ?

Aiya, you are talking about the Japanese ler.. everything you ask, they will check and check and check, and finally tell you the not so obvious answer (diplomatic, and politically correct). So 60-250 is still very much a mystery! The fact that none of the DA* lens were out in the testing counter shows that the 17-70mm is actually one of the 'basic' setups they have (though they are charging a premium for it). The DA*300mm is in the glass cabinet... darn...

The display lens for tests (shot with Sigma 10-20)
Pentax%20Forum-2140.jpg

These are very rough shots with the 17-70mm SDM...

One shot at the empty counter (70mm extreme of the 17-70 SDM)
Pentax%20Forum-2142.jpg

One shot at the k20D sensor (70mm)
Pentax%20Forum-2143.jpg

Another shot at the forum, with the display cabinets (17mm)
Pentax%20Forum-2144.jpg

The exifs are removed by my Lightroom export... if you want the exifs, let me know, I'll emaill you the pictures instead.

aiyo...so few and so small hard to judge ley...the sigma 10-20mm pics seems better than the 17-70mm :bsmilie:

anyway unless the price comes down to ~S$600, else i can forget it...

Wait for at least 6 - 9 mths after release, maybe will drop to this price. :think:

You sure you get zoom a not? I have not seen a single zoom in your line up... let alone an f4 lens?

More Pictures of Pentax Forum...

Rack of Pentax Lens!
Pentax%20Forum-2147.jpg

Transparent K20D
Pentax%20Forum-2148.jpg

Closer look at the K-Mount Lenses
Pentax%20Forum-2149.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.