DA 17-70f4 vs DA 70f2.4

Status
Not open for further replies.

cromdeg

Aug 18, 2008
Hi all,

I'm currently agonizing over the choice between DA17-70 F4 or DA 70 F2.4 and I hope someone here can help with my decision. I currently have DA16-45 F4 and FA 35 F2.0 and now deciding on a portrait lens.

option 1. Get DA17-70, sell my DA16-45 and get FA50 F1.4
option 2. Get DA Ltd. 70 F2.4 and keep my current lens lineup (I know DA70 is great lens but not sure if wanna spend that much for occational portraiture).

I'm leaning towards 17-70 + 50f1.4 but i'd like to see if DA17-70 can deliver "decent" portraits at F4 (for trips where i dont want to change lens). Tips from anyone with experience with 17-70 would be much appreciated. Also please post pictures if you have any, preferably at 70mm F4. Half-body portraits with a few highlights in the background would be great. Many thanks.

stick with what u have and get the 77mm... there will be some who will tell u to get the 70mm since according to them its a very good lens...

well since u are talking about portraits, i will tell u forget about the 70 and get the 77mm...its a lens u will never regret and oni regret not getting it earlier...

If cost is a concern, get the Sigma 17-70mm F2.8-4.5, which is a very good lens. I have used it and it is a good walkaround lens.

For portraits, there are a few you can decide on, FA50mm F1.4, DA40mm F2.8, DA70mm F2.4, FA43mm F1.9, FA77mm F1.8.

My current portrait lenses are FA43mm F1.9, SMC 85mm F1.8 and HOYA 135mm F2.8.

Agree with flowerpot, the 77mm is a good choice but as I have the 85mm F1.8, it is a duplicate lens unless I can sell it off.

Last edited:
stick with what u have and get the 77mm... there will be some who will tell u to get the 70mm since according to them its a very good lens...

well since u are talking about portraits, i will tell u forget about the 70 and get the 77mm...its a lens u will never regret and oni regret not getting it earlier...

+1 on this advice from the master... :cool:
FA 77mm the best... forget the rest... :bsmilie:

Ah, If only I can justify buying the 77 to my wife.. perhaps if I postpone my purchase and save a little more.. hhmmmm

If cost is a concern, get the Sigma 17-70mm F2.8-4.5, which is a very good lens. I have used it and it is a good walkaround lens.

For portraits, there are a few you can decide on, FA50mm F1.4, DA40mm F2.8, DA70mm F2.4, FA43mm F1.9, FA77mm F1.8.

My current portrait lenses are FA43mm F1.9, SMC 85mm F1.8 and HOYA 135mm F2.8.

Agree with flowerpot, the 77mm is a good choice but as I have the 85mm F1.8, it is a duplicate lens unless I can sell it off.

The thing is I've seen some really great portraits taken with 50mm 1.4 and i'm thinking 17-70 would be really convenient if tele-end is usable. But there's not much portraits available online taken with 17-70 that would show how good this lens is.

p (I know DA70 is great lens but not sure if wanna spend that much for occational portraiture).

+1 on this advice from the master... :cool:
FA 77mm the best... forget the rest... :bsmilie:

Guys, guys. Not addressing his points. ;)

We all want the best. But sometimes, we need to settle for less.. though I'll hate to call the DA70 'less'.

cromdeg: You can have a look at my portraits gallery, a lot of which are shot with the 70mm. (Mouse over the photo and click on 'i' for the exif data.)

Actually in terms of color, I find the DA limiteds render to my liking. A bit cool yet very refreshing feel. FA77 renders with a kind of "soft-feel" which some refer to as the magic. Construction wise, the FA77 is very solid and tight while the DA70 feels a little filmsy in comparison. The thing is they are not quite readily available in retail. In fact I don't think you can get the DA70 locally as yet. Both are very good lens - if someone ask me to choose only one, i'll ask the person to go fly kite. lol...

We all want the best. But sometimes, we need to settle for less.. though I'll hate to call the DA70 'less'.

cromdeg: You can have a look at my portraits gallery, a lot of which are shot with the 70mm. (Mouse over the photo and click on 'i' for the exif data.)

DA70mm and FA77mm produce different feel and bokeh. It's a personal taste really and personally I'm inclined towards DA70mm, not because of cost, but just so I like the result from it. You can't be wrong with both and that's what I am sure off. Have fun shooting with whatever you will get. :)

Wow.. that was quite a collection you have there... Thanks.. I especially like the "Little boys and big waves" bit - which lens was this? :) Looks like DA 70 is a keeper.. now if only I can see some portraits from 17-70...

Wow.. that was quite a collection you have there... Thanks.. I especially like the "Little boys and big waves" bit - which lens was this? :) Looks like DA 70 is a keeper.. now if only I can see some portraits from 17-70...

That's with the 21mm. :)

Some examples of 70mm images, but note I often use it wide open.. usually shot in dim conditions.

500985213_sQGJ9-XL.jpg

500974170_efCTc-XL.jpg

He already not sure wanna spend so much on the DA70, how to get the 77mm.:bsmilie:

You can always get the FA50 f/1.4 first which is not very expensive and it pair well with your 35mm for prime set up.

2 more from the 70mm.

Yeah, trying to sway you towards it.. haha!

Small, sharp, light and gives simply wonderful images.

500971678_MYbo9-XL.jpg

500971594_msqMQ-XL.jpg

That's with the 21mm. :)

Some examples of 70mm images, but note I often use it wide open.. usually shot in dim conditions.

Thanks for the pictures.. Just to confirm, Were these taken with DA17-70 @ 70mm F4?

Thanks for the pictures.. Just to confirm, Were these taken with DA17-70 @ 70mm F4?

DA70mm lah. All these are from that lens.

I don't have the 17-70. But I remember FW did a series of portraits in Philippines with the 17-70.. very sharp too.

I haven't seen portrait from the 17-70 as yet or maybe I miss it but the 50-70mm is good for portrait shooting and if you not fussy about how it render OOF at F4, you should be please. :)

Actually, the FA35 can double as a portrait lens too and I have seen many fine example of it. With your 16-45, you quite good to go, unless you want the convenient of the zoom range and weather seal.

Last edited:
Actually in terms of color, I find the DA limiteds render to my liking. A bit cool yet very refreshing feel. FA77 renders with a kind of "soft-feel" which some refer to as the magic.

I think it's cos the FA77 is sharper in the center and softer at the edges, while the DA70 is more evenly sharp throughout.

He already not sure wanna spend so much on the DA70, how to get the 77mm.:bsmilie:

You can always get the FA50 f/1.4 first which is not very expensive and it pair well with your 35mm for prime set up.

I've considered this but I'd really like to see if DA17-70 is usable for portraits. It seems not a lot of people bought this lens :(

My thinking is if i can't get the convenience from DA17-70 (wide to usable portraits), i'll keep my 16-45 and get DA70 2.4

DA70mm lah. All these are from that lens.

I don't have the 17-70. But I remember FW did a series of portraits in Philippines with the 17-70.. very sharp too.

Those FW portraits from philippines are shot with the Sigma 17-70/2.8-4.5 not the DA 17-70.:)

I've considered this but I'd really like to see if DA17-70 is usable for portraits. It seems not a lot of people bought this lens :(

My thinking is if i can't get the convenience from DA17-70 (wide to usable portraits), i'll keep my 16-45 and get DA70 2.4

Never seen DA17-70 in the 'wild'. It's a fairly recent lens though, maybe that's why. It should work fine for portraits though, outdoors. In dim light, it'll be a bit slow at the long end.

By the way, you can use the DA70 for landscapes and 'details' shots too. I don't use it as a portrait lens only.. it's quite flexible in that aspect.

Those FW portraits from philippines are shot with the Sigma 17-70/2.8-4.5 not the DA 17-70.:)

Oops! Thanks for correcting.

Status
Not open for further replies.