DA 17-70f4 vs DA 70f2.4

Status
Not open for further replies.
1724428001_37fbffe626_o.jpg

Nice shot of your kid...:thumbsup:

It's great to hear from more experienced pentax users sharing their views on this. As I go through pages and pages of reviews (you all know what i'm talking about ;) ), i'm getting more convinced to invest in primes. During my early months using my DSLR i was a "quick trigger" when it comes to lens (i have since bought and sold D18-55, Sigma 24-70 2.8 and Tamron 28-75 2.8 - all 2nd hand so didnt really lose money :) ).. so now i'm being more carefull with my purchase.. i currently have the following lens:

FA35 f2.0
DA16-45 f4
SMC-M 50 f1.4
Takumar 135 f2.5
SMC-A 70-210 f4

Now i'm tempted to get the DA70.. though there's constant nagging in my mind that i'll eventually want a 77mm someday.. i think this will be a last minute decision, while comparing both lenses at the shop.. and a green light from my wife of course :)

If you bring your wife to the shop and let her hold both the DA70 and FA77, she'd let you buy the FA77, especially if it's a silver version ;)

And you need a green light? There is a green dot (looks like a light) on the FA77 too :bsmilie:

I've considered this but I'd really like to see if DA17-70 is usable for portraits. It seems not a lot of people bought this lens :(

My thinking is if i can't get the convenience from DA17-70 (wide to usable portraits), i'll keep my 16-45 and get DA70 2.4

Edit: I should say - of them all I think the 77 is the best option. I'm not so sure about the 70, but mainly because I know I will prefer the extra stop(ish).

However, if for whatever reason you don't want to get the 77/70, instead of the 17-70 why don't you just replace your 16-45 with a 16-50/2.8?

Last edited:
If you bring your wife to the shop and let her hold both the DA70 and FA77, she'd let you buy the FA77, especially if it's a silver version ;)

And you need a green light? There is a green dot (looks like a light) on the FA77 too :bsmilie:

Not with 300$ more she won't .. :), with the price difference I can get an FA50 and put my trusty SMC-M50 to rest (not that i have the money for it) ...

Edit: I should say - of them all I think the 77 is the best option. I'm not so sure about the 70, but mainly because I know I will prefer the extra stop(ish).

However, if for whatever reason you don't want to get the 77/70, instead of the 17-70 why don't you just replace your 16-45 with a 16-50/2.8?

that crossed my mind but i'm looking more for a portrait lens. I was initially set on DA17-70, but now, after a few more suggestions here, i'm pretty much set on a prime and i'm leaning towards DA70 due to lower price, faster AF and a more usable focal length (for me at least :) ) but then again... it's still one more day before the weekend... plenty of time to change my mind.. :bsmilie: thanks

Owned both, sold DA 70 ... and the FA 77 is here to stay. Nevertheless, both are brilliant lenses.

get the da* 50-135 for portraits :devil:

get the da* 50-135 for portraits

Actually that's not bad advice... definitely a more versatile focal range but in a bigger package

i say sell the 50-135 and get the 77...

You are worse hahaa . . . . .

Get the SMC 85mm F1.8

Aiyah, I sold my DA* 50-135mm for the FA 135mm... but I still keep my FA 77mm. :angel:

Aiyo! 77 & 31 keep poping up here,hint..:bsmilie:
Try my luck this weekend if kana..hello hamuster you still there??

Thanks everyone for the advice.. it's been a busy day at the office :) I'm actually in the market for a used DA70mm.. given it's excellent build, i think i cant go wrong on a used one (with proper tests before purchasing, ofcourse)
I've been going thru sample images for both 70 & 77 and I must say the difference is very subtle.. to my newbie eyes at least... so why spend more if i cant appreciate the difference, right? ;)

Anyway I wont lose much if I had to re-sell it... I'm off to the zoo with my family tomorrow.. i'll see how comfortable i'm gonna be with 70mm as a walk-about lens (using my 70-210).. will share some pictures here ;) cheers

Status
Not open for further replies.