DA*16-50mm review by Photozone is out!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gengh

May 6, 2007
Florida
Photozone has finally completed a test and review of the SMC-DA* 16-50mm f/2.8!

Not that I think that the test charts mean very much in real-world shooting situations, but the DA* 16-50mm has been missing in his Pentax line-up for the longest time due to faulty copies. If he's right, then Pentax may have solved the QC problems that has been keeping people away from this lens all this while.

I like his verdict on the lens too, generally fair, and basically telling people that test chart results don't necessarily have a direct correlation with the quality of your pictures!

It's 2-week old news ;) But thanks for sharing anyway.

There are quite abit talks about this review elsewhere. Some are pretty happy w/ it, but some don't. For real world shooting, I think it's a great lens, very sharp at the center wide open, sharp throughout the whole frame when stopped down. Most of all, it produces great color and contrast. Plus weather sealed barrel and SDM, I don't think we have any better choice here :D

Oops, yes it's old news. :embrass:

Only just saw it when I was checking up on other lenses to reply to nouffer. Very happy to see it. :) I'll go search around to see what others are saying about the review. I thought it was probably quite accurate as lab test go.

It's 2-week old news ;) But thanks for sharing anyway.

There are quite abit talks about this review elsewhere. Some are pretty happy w/ it, but some don't. For real world shooting, I think it's a great lens, very sharp at the center wide open, sharp throughout the whole frame when stopped down. Most of all, it produces great color and contrast. Plus weather sealed barrel and SDM, I don't think we have any better choice here :D

The colour and contrasty is one reason i love it over my DA Ltds.

Oops, yes it's old news. :embrass:

Only just saw it when I was checking up on other lenses to reply to nouffer. Very happy to see it. :) I'll go search around to see what others are saying about the review. I thought it was probably quite accurate as lab test go.

Infact, if i'm not wrong when i was looking at it previously they have the pictures posted up first before the review.

I am a converted ... after it's matched with a k20d.

In fact, I regretted selling my 1st copy, opting for a Tamron one. Not that the Tamron's not good, the pictures I took with it just wasn't the same effect with the DA*. Maybe it's just perception, and I know that colors and contrast can be adjusted on softwares...I am sure the owners understand, right?!

But I've got back 1, and it'll be really difficult to pry this one out of my hands (thanks, Francis, it's blardy accurate focusing copy, and tack sharp!)

I thought the test results kind of signifies its uses...
wide open, center really really good (that's typical isn't it, especially portraiture)
street or landscape, f5.6, f8 shows that the resolution is really good.

Last edited:
1 thing though, do you guys use the hood along with it.. I tend not to, and I bring along my GND with the Cokin P holder. I have seen much need for it, but I could be wrong. Thoughts?

1 thing though, do you guys use the hood along with it.. I tend not to, and I bring along my GND with the Cokin P holder. I have seen much need for it, but I could be wrong. Thoughts?

The hood is good to reduce flare, increase contrast and it's more protective than w/o. But if you are happy w/ the results even w/o the hood, just do it lah. I use my 12-24 hoodless mostly :)

Sometimes I use the hood as protection, and I try to use it when I'm shooting in an area with strong and concentrated light sources. But I most of the time it's just sitting at hom or in the bag... Trying to build up the habit of using it more.

If you're using Cokin then that's another story altogether.

I use the hood almost all the time since it comes with it and naturally to just use it. ;)

Those who had this lens.... was it worth it to ditch those primes for this star? ie, replace the da21, fa50, etc.

Those who had this lens.... was it worth it to ditch those primes for this star? ie, replace the da21, fa50, etc.

Yes, its worth. I just bought this lens, the resolution is as good as prime lenses.:thumbsup:
If you get a good copy, it is sharp even at 50mm/f2.8. I have tests 4 of them before I buy.

*Before you buy, check (dust inside?) and tests (and mis-alingment) the lens with your camera carefully.

I can't comment on the DA limiteds, but don't ditch the FA50mm, 'cos you might still want the f/1.4 aperture.

depending what you looking at. consider the size and weight also.;)

Better keep the FA50/1.4, no zoom lens can beat it IQ wise or when you need the extra speed :)

IQ will be the key consideration. If it matches the DA21 and DA40, then it should worth the switch - minus the weight. At least this will replace 2 lens. Shouldn't the DA* has better or at least match the IQ of the limited? Else, not worth the price.

Am thinking of best combo for my setup. DA21, DA35 and needed something wider, so I thought DA*16-50 might be good addition. :dunno:

Get the 12-24 then... 16-50 just overlap what u have... each lens has its own character so zoom lens will not replace prime lens and vice visa... get zoom if u need the convenience thats all...

Ya, was thinking of that route too.

Status
Not open for further replies.