DA*16-50 and DA17-70 Comparison

Status
Not open for further replies.

matchkk

Jul 29, 2008
picasaweb.google.com.hk
There are not many choices for a standard zoom for Pentax. Nowadays, there are few choices
- DA18-50
- DA16-45
- DA17-70
- DA*16-50
- Sigma 17-70

There are lot of comparison between the DA16-45 and DA17-70, but not many between DA17-70 and DA*16-50. I got a chance to borrow a DA17-70 to try for a while, and finally got time to do a comparison.

The test below was carried out in my office in the night time and It was not professional at all. So if you see any obvious problems, please kindly share with me. The chop area is not very ideal due to various limitations. The conclusion is also very subjective. If you don't agree, just voice it out. :)

Setup:
- Pentax K20D
- On tripod with shutter release cable.
- Av (I should use M, but forgot to do so because it was too late)
- Spot Metering, Automatic White Balance, ISO 100, Spot Focus, JPG.

Scenario:
1650-16mm-f5.6s.JPG

@16/17mm
16501770%2016mm.jpg

@36mm
16501770%2036mm.jpg

@50/53mm
16501770%2050mm.jpg

Conclusion:
- The center resolution between DA*16-50 and DA17-70 is similar.
- The border resolution of DA*16-50 is slightly better than DA17-70.
- The extreme border resolution of DA17-70 looks better than DA*16-50.
- The color rendering of DA*16-50 is more saturated.

In the daily shot, my feeling is that the DA*16-50 actually can provide a more 3D image than DA17-70, even for the same f4/f5.6. However, this is really a subjective feeling after using various lens.

The original size of the above chops can be found under:
http://picasaweb.google.com.hk/matchz/

You will love the DA*16-50 if you can get a good copy. I bought the DA* after I saw my friend's pics taken with the DA*.:lovegrin:

Yes, the DA* is suffering a lack of love from most folks.. but those who got a good copy coupled with the K20D, are usually satisfied.

Thanks for sharing Match.

Lack of love? Not locally right? So far we're all happy owners... unless those who got bad copies have been keeping quiet.

Wonderful series of Mount Kinabalu matchkk! (Sorry for OT, but it was really nice...)

So far I know gengh, myself, istDes, dnaxe are pretty happy with it.. not sure about the others though. But I've not gone through a major check like what Match has done...

Thanks for taking the time to do a comparsion Match. :)

So far I know gengh, myself, istDes, dnaxe are pretty happy with it.. not sure about the others though. But I've not gone through a major check like what Match has done...

Limited should be a happy owner too, he said ":lovegrin:" at the end of his sentence.

So far I am happy with the DA*16-50, but the major problem is too heavy and this stops me to use it as a daily lens. The lens is also too big which blocks the popup flash.

quite interested in 17-70 due to the more convenient zoom range, seems not bad, wait and see the price

Will these lens perform differently in K200D?

Thanks Match for the comparison. Your results seem to be inline w/ some of those reviews. The DA*1650 is overall a better lens, but DA1770 isn't too far behind, and it has better focal range for some users. I'd keep my DA*1650 if I didn't have the DA1224 and FA*2870 combo ...

Limited should be a happy owner too, he said ":lovegrin:" at the end of his sentence.

Yes, :lovegrin:LOVE it very much:lovegrin:, and I had long waited for this lens due to Pentax's QC problems.

Status
Not open for further replies.