D90 vs EOS 550

OOsOuLzOO

Oct 24, 2010
Can't really decide on which to get. Both are good in their own ways. Think some of you can help me out because I want photography to be my serious hobby.

Can't really decide on which to get. Both are good in their own ways. Think some of you can help me out because I want photography to be my serious hobby.

so why is the d90 good?

and why is the 550d good?

Have you tried and tested them? If not, DO THAT FIRST. If you still can't make up your mind, don't buy either of them, or buy both.

If youreally want this to be a "serious hobby", you need to be able to make decisions on your own, like most adults.

Hope you know that the new D7000 is around the corner (end of this month I heard). And according to many sources, will blow both away by a long shot.

My advise is, if u cant find which one is better becoz both are very comparable, look at canon and nikon lens line up and decide.

Can the Canon act as a commander for wireless flash like the D90?

Both are very capable cameras. Some things better than the other here and there.

http://www.imaging-resource.com/IMCOMP/COMPS01.HTM
Compares their performance over ISO ranges

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/
Has the reviews for both.

The D90 has a higher end body (ie. top lcd panel; build quality; buttons; fps); but its a bit old as DSLRs go. The new D7000 looks like a very good camera to look forward to. Wait for the new camera if you don't mind paying a bit more and getting the benefits of newer technologies and features.

The 550D generally benefits from a newer sensor; higher ISO; higher mega pixels

There is no wrong in getting either camera.

it all depends on your feel when you hold it . . .

Nikon and Canon are both very reputable brand for cameras . . . choose either one will be good to start with.

What do you intend to shoot?

Can the Canon act as a commander for wireless flash like the D90?

If I did not remember wrongly, that feature is only available in 7D.

Canon’s wireless system requires at least two wireless-capable flash units in order to work. A master flash unit is attached to the camera’s hot shoe (either directly or using the Off-Camera Shoe Cord) and the slave flash unit or units are set up to illuminate the scene as desired. At time of writing, only one EOS camera – the EOS 7D – can use its built-in flash unit to control slave E-TTL units. All previous EOS bodies with built-in flash require an external wireless E-TTL master device.
From http://photonotes.org/articles/eos-flash/index3.html

Last edited:
Tyvm to all who gave me advice.
Maybe I would wait for the D7000 to come out and then compare the 550 to the 7000 ;)

Maybe I would wait for the D7000 to come out and then compare the 550 to the 7000 ;)

Sorry but you did not answer my question. What do you intend to shoot?

This may have implications on what camera you get regardless of whether it's old technology or new technology... furthermore, buying a camera system doesn't just mean buying a camera body- you're investing in lenses which you are likely to use for longer than your camera body.

@Candycaine: So sorry to keep you waiting. Maybe I would try to shoot sceneries and some panaromic views. Like city skylines or beaches....so, yeah....

The D7000 will be competing at the same level with the Canon 60D. And so far, looking at specs and sample pics, it is quite ahead of the 60D in most aspects IMHO.

But in the end, you need to try the cameras out to see which one you are more comfortable with.

Last edited:
I think comparing a D7000 to a 550D is abit... er...:dunno: 550D is more or less a high end entry level camera... I believe a D7000 is a semi-pro camera (I might be wrong though). You should be comparing the D7000 to the 50D or 60D... but I think D7000 being newer have quite a bit of features that are quite a bit better than both 50D and 60D.

However you would not really know until you pick up a D7000 and a 50D/60D and test it for yourselves. Sometime it is not how much feature there are in the camera... consider also how much of these features are you going to use, or planned to use. No use getting something with a 1000 features and only plan to use one or two... then spend thousands of dollars on this bit of technology.

Plus sometime it is not how new a technology is... it is how it feels in your hand... how you like the user interface. Because I believe image wise, they are quite alike (similar class DSLR).

Last edited: