D90 VS D300

Welson

Mar 14, 2011
Hi~~ Would like to inquired some of the professional photographer, If u choice D90 or D300, Which one u more prefer?
what is the most advantages for both DSLR? Mostly l will took portrait and l got speed light. Going to buy the second hand for either one. Thanks=)

Welson said:
Hi~~ Would like to inquired some of the professional photographer, If u choice D90 or D300, Which one u more prefer?
what is the most advantages for both DSLR? Mostly l will took portrait and l got speed light. Going to buy the second hand for either one. Thanks=)

I think this it question if we never feedback,
In your mind got the answer already.

I'm highly commended on D300 or D300s.
Who want carry the plastic body..

Even you look at buy&sell for the D300 at less than $1k it is really worth it.

Cause the D300&s I am own it and never felt it body can make me regretted.

Speed, hander, control all in 1 hand.

Last edited:

They both use the same sensor D90 & D300s. D300's sensor is almost the same as D300s, just that there is no video nor live view.

In terms of handling and ergonomics, D300/D300s wins hands down. With AF fine tune, you can make sure all your lenses are pin sharp in focusing... and all the direct access buttons on the D300/D300s will help you adapt to situations a lot faster. D300/D300s also gives you 8 memory banks to save your favorite settings. And D300/D300s are both weather sealed. And they both have very fast continuous shooting. . D300s also comes with dual memory card slots, one CF card slot and a SD card slot. And the viewfinder in the D300/D300s is much bigger, and 100% view. And the remote shutter release and GPS ports are all at the front of the body, which is a lot move convenient than the usual USB jack on the side.

Last edited:
For me, I don't want the size and weight of the D300, so I would choose the D90.

cichlid said:
For me, I don't want the size and weight of the D300, so I would choose the D90.

Due to a year may have taking care of body mounting on plastic area can be easily crack.

Due to a year may have taking care of body mounting on plastic area can be easily crack.

dunno how you look after your camera... maybe always leave it in the rain :D
my D90 is several years old now, and looks perfectly fine.

dunno how you look after your camera... maybe always leave it in the rain :D
my D90 is several years old now, and looks perfectly fine.

I take good care of my camera gear, but if you suay, no matter how well u take care of your camera, also no use. My D90 the strap failed once and the camera just drop from my hip where it was hanging. Lucky I not very tall, but still the side cracked and my zoom button also became stuck. I used a screwdriver to prise it out, but if I press it it gets stuck again. The condition now very cui, but I suppose by the time I want to upgrade nobody would want to buy the D90 already so it doesn't really matter.

brapodam said:
I take good care of my camera gear, but if you suay, no matter how well u take care of your camera, also no use. My D90 the strap failed once and the camera just drop from my hip where it was hanging. Lucky I not very tall, but still the side cracked and my zoom button also became stuck. I used a screwdriver to prise it out, but if I press it it gets stuck again. The condition now very cui, but I suppose by the time I want to upgrade nobody would want to buy the D90 already so it doesn't really matter.

Yes you are right, my friend put in the backbag just suddenly to pull out from bag and notice about the mount cracked and light leaked.

This is just due to accident lah.

So do you notice all the kit lens mounting are plastic an not the metal mount?

Last edited:
spree86 said:
Wah how you maintain your body? My D80 is already 5 years old and its still in great condition.

Ha ha it is depend your bad luck :(

BTW don't think so much, just depend you needs which cam also the best, wanna lightweight or needs pro body.

All your choose is the right.

Last edited:
I favor the D300s, but if it is just for casual use, the D90 will do.

Last edited:
I chose D90 the last time when I'm considering.

For the weight, for the size, for the price. And I only use one center focus point.

2 years and still good as new. No cracks,etc.

I take d90 .. Heres my experience with both camera,

Iso 1600 - d90 beat d300, no fight, d90 is almost half to 1 stop better iso performance
af accuracy - believe it or not, d90 focus faster and more accurately than d300 in low light situation, afd or afs len doesnt matter.
photo quality - both are very similar, but i prefer d90 photo more. D300 does not do 4 frame per second if u select 14bit nef, only 2.5 frame.

If u like solid feel body and big viewfinder, sure, go for d300, but where photo quality and af accuracy is concern, go for d90.
Solid body doesnt break .... Hmmm but who bamg their camerea ar anyway ... Unless u r a full time pro, u would not choose either cam cos d7000 and fx cam r much better.

rain5533 said:
Yes you are right, my friend put in the backbag just suddenly to pull out from bag and notice about the mount cracked and light leaked.

This is just due to accident lah.

So do you notice all the kit lens mounting are plastic an not the metal mount?

What has luck (with regards to accidents happening to camera) got to do with D90 vs D300?

What has kit lens plastic mount got to do with D90 vs D300?

ZerocoolAstra said:
What has luck (with regards to accidents happening to camera) got to do with D90 vs D300?

What has kit lens plastic mount got to do with D90 vs D300?

Regarding the D300 is all metal body even slightly hit to wall and mount wont easily to crecked and also mounted with lens together and don't worries as much than all plastic built body for front parts.

For the plastic mount will be reduce to minimum accidents impact to hit for something an the lens mount cracked is better than body mounted plastic cracked.

I owned once D90 its a perfect cam I tell you but I contemplated a lot on getting a second hand D300 because its really cheap these days. I tried once and i like it but I bought D700 instead because I love my 85mm too much.

I second this. I 'downgraded' from D300 to D90 for these same reasons & more :) I did bypass the D300s & go straight to D700 for the build & other features.

I take d90 .. Heres my experience with both camera,

Iso 1600 - d90 beat d300, no fight, d90 is almost half to 1 stop better iso performance
af accuracy - believe it or not, d90 focus faster and more accurately than d300 in low light situation, afd or afs len doesnt matter.
photo quality - both are very similar, but i prefer d90 photo more. D300 does not do 4 frame per second if u select 14bit nef, only 2.5 frame.

If u like solid feel body and big viewfinder, sure, go for d300, but where photo quality and af accuracy is concern, go for d90.
Solid body doesnt break .... Hmmm but who bamg their camerea ar anyway ... Unless u r a full time pro, u would not choose either cam cos d7000 and fx cam r much better.

Last edited:
rain5533 said:
Regarding the D300 is all metal body even slightly hit to wall and mount wont easily to crecked and also mounted with lens together and don't worries as much than all plastic built body for front parts.

For the plastic mount will be reduce to minimum accidents impact to hit for something an the lens mount cracked is better than body mounted plastic cracked.

You make it seem like the entry-level Nikons are made of biscuits, and the pro-Nikons are made of some indestructible material :)

Whilst I'd certainly agree that the pro bodies are built tougher, i doubt the difference is as drastic as you make it out to be. The kind of impact that can cause a D90 to crack would likely not leave a pro body unscathed either.

The countless numbers of entry-level Nikons still in use (eg D40, D60, D70, etc) should be testament to their decent build quality.

You make it seem like the entry-level Nikons are made of biscuits, and the pro-Nikons are made of some indestructible material :)

Whilst I'd certainly agree that the pro bodies are built tougher, i doubt the difference is as drastic as you make it out to be. The kind of impact that can cause a D90 to crack would likely not leave a pro body unscathed either.

The countless numbers of entry-level Nikons still in use (eg D40, D60, D70, etc) should be testament to their decent build quality.

Agreed. I have owned a number of plastic body DSLRs and a magnesium one.

Speaking from personal experience, if you drop a DSLR from any height above 30cm, it doesn't matter whether it's a rock solid EOS 1D or a full plastic D3100. The only thing that's going to save the camera is how lucky you are. If it hits a concrete pavement or a random stone directly on the LCD, even a EOS 1D's LCD will crack. If it hits the body, there will definitely be a dent in it. And if you really just suay, and it hits the lens head on, the mirror could just break too, even if it's a D3x.

The only advantage of a magnesium body that I can see is perhaps that the Magnesium body DSLRs are higher-end, and therefore more ergonomically designed, and easier to grip. (After all, you pay so much, they have to add some improvements right). And also, Magnesium bodies tend to be water-resistant, but then again, do you really need it? And even if you have it, do you really want to try your luck with a $1000 camera? Some people will of course Need it. But if you don't, then it's not that much value-add to your consideration.

Plastic bodies are just as durable as long as you don't take your DSLR to the African Sahara everyday.

Of course some people prefer to have a "tank" build, and that it "feels more pro". But that's personal preference. Honestly, I rarely look at the build of the camera when I buy one. I normally just look at the image sensor, low-light ISO, AF-system and the suitable lenses. I'll admit that as illogical as it is, it does "feel better" to use a giant sized EOS 5D, than a tiny D3100, but you just have to bear in mind that, that alone doesn't help you take better pictures.

All in all, if you can afford it, and can spend comfortably, just get the d300. You get the wholly illogical shiok feeling everytime you hold it and press the shutter.
If you are on a tight budget (and who isn't), just get the d90. You don't get any "pro feeling", but it takes equally good pictures.

one of the photo here and see how it was damaged.

555179_10150652391660208_281442642_n.jpg