D90 upgrade

Kagari

Sep 5, 2006
Singapore
i been using the D90 for over 2years, what would be a good upgrade [should still be able to use the lens i currently own] i might want to skip the D300 series thou....

D7000, D800, D800e, D4. Choices aplenty.

catchlights said:
Fyi, D300/D300s are classified as pro bodies, so are the replacing models.

Ke ke The Body was Pro.
The ISO not so Pro wow..
All function are outdated :)

Cause my passed 6 mths ago still own the D300s an feels very sad when shots at night..

But I will strongly recommended on D7000.

Last edited:
what is your budget?
what is your goal?

budget is not an issue, mainly more of saving money and then getting it

goal, to take pictures during travel [macro and landscape]

i was reading dpreview on the D7000 and i read this
There is one negative though: in bright, high-contrast conditions the camera has a tendency to overexpose - unfortunately by quite a large degree.

Last edited:

There is one negative though: in bright, high-contrast conditions the camera has a tendency to overexpose - unfortunately by quite a large degree.

It depends on whether you are controlling the shots or you are letting the camera controlling YOUR shots.... we don't usually use it like a compact camera, even for the professional FXs with superb metering. Each photograpgers will have their own preferred settings and likings.

Also depends on what lenses you are having, if you're already into FX lenses, you have more choices for DX and FX bodies. If only DX lenses, it's gonna cost more to migrate to FX..... it's whether you want to take that plunge only.

Last edited:

I think this would be similar to the D90's tendency to blow highlights. On the D90, I dial in a -0.7 exposure compensation thus maybe it might work similarly on the D7000.
I am trying to move to D7000 for the ISO100, Mirror Up and especially the weather seal which is useful when travelling.

IMHO d90 is a good camera. Retain if u cant find any problem.
Yes there 101 reasons to upgrade, if budget allows get a used or new D3S., or D4.
Else do wait , there might be a D600 fx .... :)

I also think so,

if not in a hurry, wait to see if the d600 is good

goal, to take pictures during travel [macro and landscape].

what do you find lacking in D90 that is limiting you from achieving the goals? for landscape, most of the time we are using lowest ISO, so high ISO capabilities of new bodies doesnt help in any way. For macro, most of the time you do not need high ISO as well, if you are doing full flash macro.

if the main concern is to save money, stick to your D90 until it is limiting you in any way, do not upgrade simply because you feel like upgrading. :)

what do you find lacking in D90 that is limiting you from achieving the goals? for landscape, most of the time we are using lowest ISO, so high ISO capabilities of new bodies doesnt help in any way. For macro, most of the time you do not need high ISO as well, if you are doing full flash macro.

if the main concern is to save money, stick to your D90 until it is limiting you in any way, do not upgrade simply because you feel like upgrading. :)

:)This really wake up my mind on upgrading...:thumbsup:

miaoteh said:

Great say :)

Keep the body, and Save the money for good lenses

Camera bodies tend to lose their values much faster compared to lenses. I rather get a good lens, like an FX lens that will last me a LONG time before even upgrading to FF. But that's just my opinion.

Still using my d90 2 years still going strong. I only have one dx lens, the 10-20 sigma. Other than that all fx, 35 f1.4 & 70-200 f2.8.. I will keep using it till I feel its limiting me. F1.4-2.8 will keep your iso down below 2000, which I feel is still very usable. Will see though how the d600 fares. If not probably a d700 once it gets below $2k used.